Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:47 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer16 View Post
As I stated in my original post, it's not about the money. I was only curious whether what I was reading was hype by people wanting to sell tires. As I also mentioned, the safety of my family is most important. I was not complaining about cost or weighing money over safety.

Thanks to those that provided information about your own personal experiences to help me decide that winter tires are indeed the right decision.
It appears as if you've made your decision, but I'm wondering... Did you ask any Park City locals for their opinions? They would probably know better than any of us would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 07:38 AM

169 posts, read 180,004 times
We don't know anyone here. We know a couple of people in SLC. I figured y'all would have experience driving around in this area (the larger SLC/mountain area) and share your thoughts. We are experienced in driving in snow, but STL has gross, wet, slushy stuff they call snow on occasion. When it rarely gets deep enough to warrant winter tires it closes down the city and no one goes anywhere.

Plus, working from home has meant we don't have to go out unless we want to. We're hoping to want to a lot more here.

We can ask people here in restaurants and stores I imagine. Going to the Ski Swap tonight so maybe I'll pester some strangers there.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:09 PM

8 posts, read 8,304 times
To those beating you up for not putting your life ahead of "hundreds of dollars" I'd just shrug it off. Those types comment on every thread instead of actually answering the question. I would say all wheel drive and a good set of MS with a lot of wear on them will be just fine. That's what I have on my Subaru Cross Tek and I can go anywhere. I drive to numerous ski areas here in Washington with snow on the road, ice, slush, hard pack, and don't have a problem at all. I would suggest being a good snow driver to begin with otherwise you can do what the people do here in Seattle, get 4 top line snow tires (studded of course) in case we get a snowflake or two and ruin the roads in the process. Otherwise you'll be fine.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBounce View Post
To those beating you up for not putting your life ahead of "hundreds of dollars" I'd just shrug it off. Those types comment on every thread instead of actually answering the question. I would say all wheel drive and a good set of MS with a lot of wear on them will be just fine. That's what I have on my Subaru Cross Tek and I can go anywhere. I drive to numerous ski areas here in Washington with snow on the road, ice, slush, hard pack, and don't have a problem at all. I would suggest being a good snow driver to begin with otherwise you can do what the people do here in Seattle, get 4 top line snow tires (studded of course) in case we get a snowflake or two and ruin the roads in the process. Otherwise you'll be fine.
Oh, you're from Seattle! Lovely city! And how long did you live in Park City? How many times did you drive up or down Parley's Canyon (I-80) between Salt Lake City and Park City in a "real" snowstorm?

Old 11-23-2015, 09:52 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
In many states "studded" tires are illegal as they tear the heck out of normal roads. Better to get a foursome of Blizzak's from Bridgestone which have both extensive tread and rubber material designed to adhere to ice better at well below freezing temperatures.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:13 AM

149 posts, read 182,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBounce View Post
I would say all wheel drive and a good set of MS with a lot of wear on them will be just fine. That's what I have on my Subaru Cross Tek and I can go anywhere.

All Wheel Drive means that all wheels are capable of making you go.

It does not mean they are capable of helping you stop, turn, or remain stable on the road. That is what tires help you do.

Winter tires excel at this in winter conditions. An awesome set of all seasons are still inferior to a cheap set of winter tires. Winter tires feature softer rubber compounds, aggressive siping, and generally deeper treads. The features that make winter tires excellent in the winter make them practically worthless in the other 3 seasons (they would simply wear too quickly on the warm roads).

Old 11-30-2015, 10:25 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
We live in Park City during ski season, and Las Vegas the rest of the year.

We have 2 AWD vehicles. I have never bothered to put on snow tires, although many people do. I have just kept my all-season M+S tires.

Park City does a very good job of plowing the roads. If you live in a relatively flat area - say, Ranch Place, then you will be fine without the snow tires so long as you drive with caution.

If, however, you live in a hilly area then yes get the snow tires.

Remember: AWD helps you "go" but does not help you "stop." As always, be a defensive driver and a cautious driver especially when it is snowing.

Once or twice I've chosen not to tackle Parleys because of a storm, but I had the luxury of being able to wait it out.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Once or twice I've chosen not to tackle Parleys because of a storm, but I had the luxury of being able to wait it out.
My sister, who lives in Holladay but taught in the Park City School District for over 30 years and made the daily commute up and down Parley's five days a week, 9 months out of the year, said she would not even consider making that drive without snow tires. Maybe, if a person could guarantee that he wouldn't be driving between Salt Lake City and Park City all winter, all-season tires, would be adequate, but otherwise, you could really be wishing you were better prepared.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:19 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My sister, who lives in Holladay but taught in the Park City School District for over 30 years and made the daily commute up and down Parley's five days a week, 9 months out of the year, said she would not even consider making that drive without snow tires. Maybe, if a person could guarantee that he wouldn't be driving between Salt Lake City and Park City all winter, all-season tires, would be adequate, but otherwise, you could really be wishing you were better prepared.
Yeah if I were doing the commute that your sister did, I would also get the snow tires. In our case, we are retired and in control of our own schedules. We don't have to be anywhere at any time other than the occasional doctor's appointment. We also live where it is very flat.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:11 AM

169 posts, read 180,004 times
Thanks, Sporty! We are in the exact same position (without being retired yet). We both work from home, and don't need to go anywhere at all. My commute is down a flight of stairs And we live just off 224 a mile from Kimball Junction, so it's quite flat here, and to get to a grocery if needed. If we needed to get into SLC, we plan it for a clear dry day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area