Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,136,960 times

Advertisements

I've been doing my due diligence looking into Salt Lake City. I've read the threads pertaining to me. i.e. living in SLC as a non-Mormon, liberal leaning, etc. etc. It sounds like SLC will be a wonderful place to move my young family to. So, onto my question...

My husband would be working in South Jordan but I prefer the city or walkable areas (I've seen Sugar House mentioned quite a bit). We also have two young children in school so schools must be a consideration. I don't want to spend all our money on a house because I'd rather do things than sit in a pretty house. So I'm thinking a house budget of around $350k. Now, where would a family friendly yet accessible to culture, good schools, commutable to South Jordan "budget house" neighborhood be?

Of course we will rent first but I'd like to find a rental in our preferred area so our kids won't have to switch schools a second time.

Right now I'm zeroing in on Cottonwood Heights. I've seen it mentioned in different threads but the OP has always been coming from a different situation than ours so I want to make sure it fits.

Also, is Sandy the epitome of suburbia? Is it like the endless curvy roads of like houses and kids selling popcorn, cookies and whatever else door-to-door like I have in my mind?

How is Midvale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 01:45 PM

388 posts, read 544,606 times
Have you tried just looking at house prices in your budget in CH and Sandy? I think your budget, if you are looking at a single family home, is going to be the primary factor for location. Look at the MLS.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:11 PM

27,894 posts, read 29,704,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I've been doing my due diligence looking into Salt Lake City. I've read the threads pertaining to me. i.e. living in SLC as a non-Mormon, liberal leaning, etc. etc. It sounds like SLC will be a wonderful place to move my young family to. So, onto my question...

My husband would be working in South Jordan but I prefer the city or walkable areas (I've seen Sugar House mentioned quite a bit). We also have two young children in school so schools must be a consideration. I don't want to spend all our money on a house because I'd rather do things than sit in a pretty house. So I'm thinking a house budget of around $350k. Now, where would a family friendly yet accessible to culture, good schools, commutable to South Jordan "budget house" neighborhood be?

Of course we will rent first but I'd like to find a rental in our preferred area so our kids won't have to switch schools a second time.

Right now I'm zeroing in on Cottonwood Heights. I've seen it mentioned in different threads but the OP has always been coming from a different situation than ours so I want to make sure it fits.

Also, is Sandy the epitome of suburbia? Is it like the endless curvy roads of like houses and kids selling popcorn, cookies and whatever else door-to-door like I have in my mind?

How is Midvale?
I've been in the Salt Lake area my entire life (67 years), and actually lived in 5 completely different parts of the city/metro area. My husband and I will have been in Cottonwood Heights for 34 years this coming April. Of the five areas I've lived in (Sugar House/Highland Park, West Valley City, Murray, Harvard-Yale and Cottonwood Heights), Cottonwood Heights is by far my favorite. The demographics of the area are starting to change, and a lot of younger families are starting to move in. A beautiful new elementary school is being built about a half a mile from my house. The Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center is absolutely unsurpassed. Family memberships are very reasonable. The facilities include two swimming pools (indoor and outdoor), a large ice rink, a gym, etc. Swimming and skating lessons are available for the kids. Personally, I can't recommend Cottonwood Heights highly enough. The only thing that you may not like is that it is less "walkable" than Sugar House. From the Cottonwood Heights area, you can be in the Cottonwood Canyons within 10 minutes. You're about 30 minutes from Park City and about 25 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:51 PM

914 posts, read 966,667 times
I agree, cottonwood heights is a great choice, although Sugarhouse has a good trendy vibe too with a mix of singles and young families.Walkable around sugarhouse with coffee shops, good eateries etc Also served by the trax and lots of leisure facilities. Sandy is a nice mixed area towards 114s/ Draper borders however it is still a bit suburbia. My hubby works in South Jordan and we live there near to Riverton borders. However I would prefer to be downtown in some ways as although my kids in good schools and have great friends as do we I would prefer to be closer to a more lively part of town. I come from a small town back in the UK but even the suburbs here are a bit too suburbia as nice as they are. Also more exciting options food wise (Cottonwood heights has this too) as out here its a lot of row upon row of the same chain restaurants.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:33 AM

762 posts, read 2,109,568 times
Cottonwood Heights is great, but you did mention wanting walkability, which is pretty much nonexistent there, just FYI.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
Have you tried just looking at house prices in your budget in CH and Sandy? I think your budget, if you are looking at a single family home, is going to be the primary factor for location. Look at the MLS.
That's what took me to Cottonwood Heights and Sandy. As much as I'd love to be downtown or in Sugar House, I think our house budget and school needs will keep us more in the 'burbs.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the great info. I'd love a walkable town but I understand that is a rare city anywhere outside the immediate downtown out west. Is Cottonwood Heights at least walkable for family walks/bike rides, walks to the park, school etc?

Old 01-27-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've been in the Salt Lake area my entire life (67 years), and actually lived in 5 completely different parts of the city/metro area. My husband and I will have been in Cottonwood Heights for 34 years this coming April. Of the five areas I've lived in (Sugar House/Highland Park, West Valley City, Murray, Harvard-Yale and Cottonwood Heights), Cottonwood Heights is by far my favorite. The demographics of the area are starting to change, and a lot of younger families are starting to move in. A beautiful new elementary school is being built about a half a mile from my house. The Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center is absolutely unsurpassed. Family memberships are very reasonable. The facilities include two swimming pools (indoor and outdoor), a large ice rink, a gym, etc. Swimming and skating lessons are available for the kids. Personally, I can't recommend Cottonwood Heights highly enough. The only thing that you may not like is that it is less "walkable" than Sugar House. From the Cottonwood Heights area, you can be in the Cottonwood Canyons within 10 minutes. You're about 30 minutes from Park City and about 25 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City.

I think I'm moving to Cottonwood Heights for the Rec Center alone! It looks amazing! Thanks for the tip. My kids would be in heaven. All they want to do is swim and play hockey.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the great info. I'd love a walkable town but I understand that is a rare city anywhere outside the immediate downtown out west. Is Cottonwood Heights at least walkable for family walks/bike rides, walks to the park, school etc?
Absolutely.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I think I'm moving to Cottonwood Heights for the Rec Center alone! It looks amazing! Thanks for the tip. My kids would be in heaven. All they want to do is swim and play hockey.
They would love it! Check out their website. (It's really not a very good website, but it will at least give you an idea of what their facilities are.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area