Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 5,665 times

Advertisements

Merry Meet everyone, and I wanted to Thank everyone in advance for any answers and help that I might receive. I'll be keeping my questions short and hopefully to the point, cause I do have a Lot of questions. And Please, No One mention the word Mormon or LDS or any religion for that matter. Don't Care. Not a issue for me. Not in my questions in this thread. I would humbly thank you for that.

My husband is looking at taking a job at Bingham Canyon Mine for Ackerman Construction. They would be wanting us to relocate.

First question, any husbands or wives work for them? What they about? What are the pro's and con's ? How's the Atena insurance? Hubby would be working Underground. Not surface. Don't really care about any surface answers, only interested in the underground.

Second - What area would be good to move to (close to the mine area please), with 7 hound (literally) dogs , some chickens, Angus cows (only a couple) and maybe a couple of sheep? Don't have kids, so they aren't a issue.
What does it run for 5 to 10 acres? Bare and with a house.
What are the state taxes on property?
And what is the towns tax?
And how much tax does UT take out of a check?
And what is the income tax about for the state of UT?
Let's say for $85,000 a year.
Do they tax on food and clothes?

Third - What are the hunting laws in UT? What are the lion hunting laws in specif along deer and elk? Don't forget fishing . How much do tags cost, what are the seasons, is it draws or over the counter.... What's Fish and Game like over there? Also is bear hunting legal over there and with dogs?

Fourth - Is it true, most go over the state line to buy food and clothes? I know they go over the line to gamble. Don't care about that issue, so please don't go there . What do groceries cost ( more interested in Produce & Milk and canned goods) and what does a carton of cig's (Marlboro) run along with a whole roll of Copenhagen cost?

Fifth- What about DMV? What is the registration fee for renewal for a 2007 Dodge Pickup. Or something comparable and to transfer states.... Do you have to register and license UTVs and ATVs? If so, cost. How long do they give you to transfer from another state?

Six- What are the rules for UTVs and ATVs?

Seven- What are your boating laws?

Eight- What power company or companies do you have over there? How much does it run for say a 2,000 square foot home ? What does a cord of wood cost? Any restrictions on burning wood? What does it cost to cut your own wood (permits)? What type of wood do you have to cut over there? What does Propane cost? Natural Gas? Do you have a lot of black outs or brown outs? Does any one know anything about water rights and how they run? And who does your water go to? What mountains do you get it from, what area does it go to? Do you flood your lawns or sprinkle? Water restrictions? Well water where I would be looking? If so how deep on a average are the wells (average).

Nine- Can a person burn their own garbage?

Ten- What is your dumps about? Cost etc....

Eleven- Any good old fashion butchers over there that can cut and wrap a cow?

Twelve-Whats your fuel/gas running now a days along with diesel?

And I think that is it for now. It's a good start. I'm looking forward to your answers. And if you haven't figured it out, we're the homesteader country folk type. And we'd be moving from Northern NV.

Thank You again, one and all, for all your help and answers.

Last edited by Zephyra; 02-11-2008 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
I don't know where Bingham Canyon is....I'm guessing north of Ogden??

I live in Davis Co, for 7 years.

#2 Davis Co only allows ownership of 2 dogs (maybe this is a good thing, keeps me from having a dozen). My house is 30 years +, 2000 ft, 1/3 acre...taxes are about 1100. There is tax on clothing, and assume there is on food...I've lived in so many places I just am not sure!

#4 Going over the state line for food and clothes?? I don't think so!! Unless you are waaay out there. My understanding is SLC area is the biggest shopping area between Denver and Cali.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I don't know where Bingham Canyon is....I'm guessing north of Ogden??
28 miles southwest of Salt Lake City = Kennecott Copper Mine= Bingham Canyon Mine (one in the same)

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Oooh, got it. My neighbor works out there. That about covers my knowledge!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Oooh, got it. My neighbor works out there. That about covers my knowledge!
That's alright, your probably better off not knowing about mining. Mining world is a small world and underground a dangerous one. Around here 15 to 16 hours day a norm. for work & travel. It's a long shot on my part in asking any one on this forum if they work in the underground world. Not many of us around. And most don't do computers per say on their free time.

But I did figure my odds would be better with the homesteader types and natives for the type of questions I'm asking. They are usually on the boards this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area