Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,823 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we had a man in our neighborhood knock on the door and ask us about a truck and if it was for sale. We said no, but we had another one that we were selling, and we felt like it was meant to be since we hadn't listed it yet. He took a look and said he was super interested and we agreed to sell it for $850.

Now enter a string of stupid stupid stupid mistakes on our part. Despite my gut feeling, he said he really needed the truck registered but didn't have the money yet but would by the following Monday, February 15 (it was February 9) . Now mind you, this guy was a smooth talker. Both my husband and I actually felt ok about everything for the most part. He insisted he didn't want to pay sales tax on the truck and asked if we would mark it as a gift, and we gave him the duplicate title paper and bill of sale, before he paid us . I do remember feeling like that wasn't ok, that he didn't get any title information until we were paid. But he had us put us on as a lien and then he wrote and signed a paper saying he would pay us the $850 no later than Monday the 15th. At the latest. He was in contact with us quite a few times.

Well Monday (the day he was supposed to pay) rolls around and his girlfriend comes crying and saying this man was using her to get the truck and he left with the truck, and that she would pay us $400 for it because she felt so bad. Fine, whatever, sorry for your problems but that shouldn't affect us. He actually called my husband back to tell us the mail didn't come Monday when she was supposed to get her tax return and so she would be paying us soon. (oh my gosh, the drama!).

It's Saturday, Feb. 20th now. No more contact from either him nor his girlfriend. I am so so so frustrated with US for being so stupid, but of course at this man who totally lied to us. What are our rights? If we marked it as a gift, then do we even have rights? We have his letter saying he'd pay us no later than a date, and we are still signed on the duplicate title application as the lien holders. So what can we do? Can we report it stolen even? Can we re-posses it somehow? Assuming we can find the stupid truck.

Yes, I realize we were complete idiots in this situation. That's what you get for being trusting and we have learned out lesson. Don't trust anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 08:09 PM

Default he's saying it's totaled now

Oh my goodness, seconds after posting this, he texted my husband and says he's been in an accident with the truck and it's totaled. And he is still going to pay us but we have to wait because he just got out of the hospital. I don't believe the story. Can we report it stolen?

Old 02-20-2016, 08:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Yes, you can report it stolen, sometimes the Police will tell you it's a civil matter and they will try not to get involved but insist that it was fraud and have all of your evidence to prove that with you when you talk to them, just be persistent with the police. In Utah it's called theft by deception.

http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Cha...76-6-S405.html

Old 02-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Thank you for your help!

Old 02-23-2016, 10:41 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
It's gonna be a civil issue... cops can't do anything. You could try small claims court but you will have to pay the fees for it and it still doesn't necessarily translate into recovering your money.

Rule #1 for selling a vehicle... NEVER hand over the keys until you have the cash in your hand no matter what.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw262dh View Post
Ok, so we had a man in our neighborhood knock on the door and ask us about a truck and if it was for sale. We said no, but we had another one that we were selling, and we felt like it was meant to be since we hadn't listed it yet. He took a look and said he was super interested and we agreed to sell it for $850.

Now enter a string of stupid stupid stupid mistakes on our part. Despite my gut feeling, he said he really needed the truck registered but didn't have the money yet but would by the following Monday, February 15 (it was February 9) . Now mind you, this guy was a smooth talker. Both my husband and I actually felt ok about everything for the most part. He insisted he didn't want to pay sales tax on the truck and asked if we would mark it as a gift, and we gave him the duplicate title paper and bill of sale, before he paid us . I do remember feeling like that wasn't ok, that he didn't get any title information until we were paid. But he had us put us on as a lien and then he wrote and signed a paper saying he would pay us the $850 no later than Monday the 15th. At the latest. He was in contact with us quite a few times.

Well Monday (the day he was supposed to pay) rolls around and his girlfriend comes crying and saying this man was using her to get the truck and he left with the truck, and that she would pay us $400 for it because she felt so bad. Fine, whatever, sorry for your problems but that shouldn't affect us. He actually called my husband back to tell us the mail didn't come Monday when she was supposed to get her tax return and so she would be paying us soon. (oh my gosh, the drama!).

It's Saturday, Feb. 20th now. No more contact from either him nor his girlfriend. I am so so so frustrated with US for being so stupid, but of course at this man who totally lied to us. What are our rights? If we marked it as a gift, then do we even have rights? We have his letter saying he'd pay us no later than a date, and we are still signed on the duplicate title application as the lien holders. So what can we do? Can we report it stolen even? Can we re-posses it somehow? Assuming we can find the stupid truck.

Yes, I realize we were complete idiots in this situation. That's what you get for being trusting and we have learned out lesson. Don't trust anyone.
I think you committed tax fraud... so not sure you have any legal recourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area