Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 6,585 times

Advertisements

My daughter is moving to the West Jordan area with her small dog this summer. We hope to visit to see the area before signing a lease but won't have much time. It looks like there are several areas to look and several to stay away from. There was an awesome post on here mentioning several areas and apartment complexes but it was from 2010. I'm thinking West Jordan may be OK but Cottonwood Heights, South Jordan, Midvale and Sandy may be better. I would love some recommendations for apartments with fenced in dog parks or dog runs that are quiet and safe. The Remington, Dry Creek at East Village and The District all look nice online. Any recommendations are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 08:15 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,641,009 times
Sunset Ridge and Wilshire Place are both up the street from a huge dog park at 9000 South, right off the Mountain View Corridor. Maybe check those out! Depending on the age of your daughter, I'd suggest looking closer to the city. West Jordan is a dull, family oriented suburb. This isn't a bad thing, but if she's a single young woman, it's not really a good thing either. I'd look into an apartment near the Avenues or in Sugar House. There are some off-leash dog areas around there too and the neighborhoods are much more vibrant and appealing to youth.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:02 PM

914 posts, read 965,740 times
definitely sugar house for dog parks and also leisure activities. If your daughter is young she wont need a car so much as there is trax and downtown is far more exciting for her and a better choice of eateries and places to go. I wish I could live downtown tbh but wont work with husbands job and I am 42 with 2 kids. Its walkable, lively and has access to a lot more of music, theatre and arts too.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:23 PM

Thanks! That's great information about the dog park. She's going to be working a lot of hours and evenings while finishing her dissertation. Her boyfriend lives in another state and she's concerned about leaving her dog alone so much. So she really wants something close to West Jordan that is safe to walk around with her dog or go to the dog park. So family oriented and dull would actually be fine. It looks like there are a lot of apartments near TRAX stations, but I read somewhere that those areas may not be all that safe. It's so hard to tell what's a safe area by searching online. Some apartments look really nice but when you read the reviews they talk about regular police raids and burglaries. So Wilshire Place and Sunset Ridge are in a good area? We will definitely check those out. How about Dry Creek at East Village or some of the places just east of 15?

Old 03-12-2016, 09:11 AM

There are lots of safe areas to walk around in SLC outside of West Jordan. Personally living here and comong from overseas there are very few unsafe areas in SLC. Sugarhouse, cottonwood heights, The avenues Sandy are all fine and some are served by Trax,. Everywhere has raids , burgalries these days and tbh no where in the world is 100% safe unless you live on an Island. Most of SLC in general is great and not on par with some of the areas you would find in downtown LA in terms of crime/issues

Old 03-12-2016, 03:29 PM

Thanks Montygirl, good to know. I haven't heard of the Avenues Sandy. I'll look that up��

Old 03-15-2016, 06:20 PM

The avenues is close to downtown. Sandy is a suburb in Salt lake county. Up by the U of U is also nice. I live in the burbs and have a family but to be honest if work didn't dictate I would prefer to be closer to the city. Sugarhouse would be top of my list. Coming from UK I am used to walking everywhere and taking public transport. Good luck with your search for her.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:23 AM

Just... for the sake of accuracy...

Salt Lake City has a significantly higher crime rate than Los Angeles does. Most people don't realize this, and it doesn't "feel" that way, but when you get down to the numbers you're about 50% more likely to be a victim in SLC (7.69 violent crimes per resident) than in LA (4.98 violent crimes per resident). In fact, one is statistically more likely to be raped in Salt Lake City (1.15 per 1000) than in Detroit (0.82 per 1000). Some residents will try and tell you this is all isolated to west of Downtown, but it isn't.

That being said, it's a beautiful and clean city and I wouldn't hesitate over moving back, because of crime - one just needs to know where to be and how to keep themselves safe. If anything, this is more of a compliment to the safety of Los Angeles... and an insult to just how huge of an issue sexual crime is, in Utah.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:45 PM

Thanks Geo-Aggie. I grew up in the Detroit metro area and I am very familiar with the Royal Oak area, which is pretty nice I know how a couple of miles in one direction or another can make a big difference, often even in the same zip code. I have seen some of the rape/sexual crime statistics for the SLC area and it is a concern. I really appreciate this forum and the opinions expressed on areas to avoid and places to look into. I think the U of U and Sugarhouse might be a little out of her way. Unless traffic isn't too bad in the area. She will need a car, as she will be traveling to different work sites within West Jordan and wants to be able to get home to her dog, in between appointments. We're thinking South Jordan, Sandy, Cottonwood Heights or Midvale, along with West Jordan, may be the best areas to look. Any opinions on apartments or sections within those areas are very much appreciated!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:43 AM

My last post had a significant error in it.. I stated:

SLC (7.69 violent crimes per resident) than in LA (4.98 violent crimes per resident)

This is wrong, what should have been stated was:

SLC (7.69 violent crimes per thousand residents) than in LA (4.98 violent crimes per thousand residents)

Pretty significant difference there. Sorry about that. I swear we're not living in the world of Mad Max.

Also, thanks for the compliment on Royal Oak! I do love it here so far. I live at about 12 Mile and Main (Livernois) and it's beautiful, hip, trendy - but then just down the road at 6 Mile and Livernois it's like... you don't go out at night. But I will say this, even Detroit (not just the suburbs) is making vast strides over where it was in 2013. They've got their street lights all working, buses running, a new light rail going in on Woodward, and Downtown and Midtown are both immaculate and booming! Even New Center and Corktown are starting to look very gentrified. It'll never be as beautiful as Salt Lake is today, but I think it's doing a good job of reinventing itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area