Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:59 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,642,358 times

Advertisements

Just commenting to say Mezman gave a great reply, but I can't rep him because something something spread around something something.

Regarding the stench, it's a thing, it's caused by a for-profit waste processing facility in West Salt Lake that takes in waste deemed too hazardous for landfills (yes, that's a thing). I tried creating a stink about the stink during 2015 while I lived out there going through the WVC, Magna and Taylorsville city councils - even got a couple calls from the Department of Health over it. WVC was really the only city that heard me out and I actually got quite a bit of community support going... aaand a handful of people really pissed off at me too... but then I moved and kinda dropped the ball on the whole project. (If someone wants my data and contacts to pick it up this year I'd be happy to chat with you). But in summary, on hot and windy summer days the northwest side of the valley gets inundated with a stench that smells like someone set a gigantic bag of dog turds on fire. It's a single for-profit company causing it and quite frankly, I wanted them to move.

Also Bountiful, Woods Cross and North Salt Lake get a gnarly chemical processing/oil cracking smell that frequently comes up on windy days. Not much that can be done about that, just part of living downwind from refineries.

As for unsafe areas, mostly the north-central part of the valley. I personally wouldn't choose to live between State Street and Bangerter Highway, unless I went south of about 7800 South. There are nice parts in there and you should figure that out for yourself, but as a broad simple brushstroke, that's what I'd avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:41 PM

31 posts, read 100,841 times
Yes the inversions are bad and seem to get worse every year. Thankfully it's typically only a few weeks total out of the year but even outside of the super heavy can't see the 10,000 foot mountains that are a quarter mile away massive smog days, even on a "regular" day you can see a huge difference the day after a storm when the normal pollution gets blown out briefly.

Is it worth moving over? I love it here and if I ever do move that will be the reason. Of course, it hasn't made me move yet.

As for the lake smell, I've only been here 2.5 years but I've never once smelled the lake from anywhere other than right on the lake shore.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:36 AM

152 posts, read 232,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dAqS6R0gRQet View Post

Albuquerque has it as well and is also 10deg warmer year round along with monsoon "seasons" on top so that was out.
Whoa, whoa. I lived in Albuquerque from 1998-2015 and there was nothing that I would call an inversion of any significance. I've visited SLC a lot and the inversion there ranges from noticeable to quite horrid. (Like Beijing kind of horrid.)

Yes, I'm a Burque defender. The monsoon is a wonderful every-other-day relief from the summer heat. It makes the desert foliage pop, swells the arroyos, and the storms are generally over in a few hours or less. It's nearly a perfect weather town from my perspective. Hot but not unbearable in the late summer (because of low humidity), brisk in the winter (down to 20s or even 10s for a few moments) but without lingering snow to mess up roads and get crud all over your car.

My 2 cents....

Old 11-02-2017, 02:28 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,718,430 times
Last year I recall some of the media said at a few points it approached the quality of air found in Bejing at times (pretty darned bad) and it can on occasion last longer then you'd like it to. Some here prefer to do the "glass is half full" attitude. Good on them (and their lungs). I'm in the planning stages of getting a move next year before summer, so this is one of several things I won't be missing at all. Enjoy and just deal with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area