Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 5,442 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Utah from my home town in Long Island, NY to begin working for a new company in Orem. Looking for a little advice as to where I should look for an apartment, because I seem to be striking out with many of the ones I'm finding advertised online. I'm in my mid twenties, I'm not LDS, and I'll be living with just my girlfriend and my Chinese crested terrier.

I'd like to live somewhere that's not going to make me feel like a fish out of water, so areas catering to a younger crowd are preferred. But what's most important to me is that I live in an area that's safe, well-maintained and nice to look at (like the area around Sugar House park, for example), with an apartment that's fairly new (2005+, I guess). I'll also need a place with a garage where I can safely store my Porsche. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 11:20 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaux View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Utah from my home town in Long Island, NY to begin working for a new company in Orem. Looking for a little advice as to where I should look for an apartment, because I seem to be striking out with many of the ones I'm finding advertised online. I'm in my mid twenties, I'm not LDS, and I'll be living with just my girlfriend and my Chinese crested terrier.
Wow. Do you have any idea what a culture shock this move is going to be?

Quote:
I'd like to live somewhere that's not going to make me feel like a fish out of water, so areas catering to a younger crowd are preferred. But what's most important to me is that I live in an area that's safe, well-maintained and nice to look at (like the area around Sugar House park, for example), with an apartment that's fairly new (2005+, I guess). I'll also need a place with a garage where I can safely store my Porsche. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sugar House is nice. I would also suggest that you look downtown. Your main problem is probably going to be finding a nice place that allows pets, but most young professionals seem to be drawn primarily to the downtown area (which, as you probably already know) is going to seem like moving to a small town to you. There is a huge (I mean enormous!) apartment complex in Cottonwood Heights that is not all that old and that I'm positive allows pets. It's probably got a nice mix of ages -- some younger, some older. If you were lucky, you could get an apartment overlooking the Salt Lake valley, which would be really a great view. They also have nice amenities and the area is very close to the Wasatch Mountains (skiing, hiking, etc.) Freeway access is also good from there. I haven't actually been in the apartments, though, so I'm just going on what the complex looks like from the road. It's called Pinnacle Highland.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:23 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Take it from another NY transplant: Living in or around Orem as non-LDS in your mid-twenties and driving a Porsche will pretty much ensure fish-out-of-water status. You need to be in downtown SLC and use the car for your commute.

As for striking out on apts - why? What's happening?

Old 04-23-2016, 11:27 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow. Do you have any idea what a culture shock this move is going to be?

Sugar House is nice. I would also suggest that you look downtown. Your main problem is probably going to be finding a nice place that allows pets, but most young professionals seem to be drawn primarily to the downtown area (which, as you probably already know) is going to seem like moving to a small town to you. There is a huge (I mean enormous!) apartment complex in Cottonwood Heights that is not all that old and that I'm positive allows pets. It's probably got a nice mix of ages -- some younger, some older. If you were lucky, you could get an apartment overlooking the Salt Lake valley, which would be really a great view. They also have nice amenities and the area is very close to the Wasatch Mountains (skiing, hiking, etc.) Freeway access is also good from there. I haven't actually been in the apartments, though, so I'm just going on what the complex looks like from the road. It's called Pinnacle Highland.
LOL, quite so. At least anybody from LI will be thoroughly familiar with the suburban sprawl. But that's pretty much where it ends.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:19 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Pinnacle Highland is an OK area, and you might get an enclosed garage if you are lucky.
Otherwise not a half bad choice since your *commute* to Orem, would be the other way ...

Old 04-24-2016, 01:48 PM

84 posts, read 160,702 times
The Vue at Sugarhouse is probably your best bet. It pretty much caters to your demographic. Lot of transplants. Lot of young professionals. It's definitely overpriced, but it's new and reasonably well maintained. For someone coming from a larger city it's a decent way to transition down. Plus you can't beat the location.

PS. For parking, they have garage assigned parking.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by det2011sb View Post
The Vue at Sugarhouse is probably your best bet. It pretty much caters to your demographic. Lot of transplants. Lot of young professionals. It's definitely overpriced, but it's new and reasonably well maintained. For someone coming from a larger city it's a decent way to transition down. Plus you can't beat the location.

PS. For parking, they have garage assigned parking.
This sounds like it would be a great option for the OP, as long as it allows pets. If you have a pet, that's pretty much got to be at the top of your list of must haves.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:44 AM

28 posts, read 68,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This sounds like it would be a great option for the OP, as long as it allows pets. If you have a pet, that's pretty much got to be at the top of your list of must haves.
Salt Lake City UT Apartment Amenities | The Vue at Sugar House Crossing - with the all-important, highlighted line of "We Love Pets!". Apparently, there are some restrictions and you have to ask your sales associates - probably want to make sure that don't get any cat ladies, for example..

Old 04-25-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug View Post
Salt Lake City UT Apartment Amenities | The Vue at Sugar House Crossing - with the all-important, highlighted line of "We Love Pets!". Apparently, there are some restrictions and you have to ask your sales associates - probably want to make sure that don't get any cat ladies, for example..
Nice! My vote would be for The Vue, then. Plus, freeway access would be really good from there.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:52 PM

84 posts, read 160,702 times
The vue does allow pets. I don't have any, but I see plenty of dogs around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area