Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:25 AM

28 posts, read 33,963 times

Advertisements

We are of Indian descent and live in a small Louisiana town . We are planning to move to SLC in Summer 2017 and plan to rent an apartment until we get acquainted with the area. I will be working in downtown SLC, I am OK with 15-30 minutes of commute. We like Cottonwood heights - Sandy area and would like to rent an apartment in a good school zone. I would like to buy house in the same area so that kids don't have to change school whenever we buy a home. My older one will be in first grade next year and the younger one will start pre K -3

Any recommendations? Apartment or rental home is fine, in the later case what are good property management companies for rental houses?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 01:44 PM

388 posts, read 548,735 times
Many schools don't have strict geographic boundaries. If your kids are bright and test into magnet programs like SALTA in Canyons, ALPS in Jordan, and I am not sure what it is called in Granite, you can attend outside of boundary. Make sure you time your move to have your kids tested into such magnets (test time is specific, not open enrollment). Check with the granite and canyons school districts for admission criteria/test dates. Canyons elementary magnets would be at Sunrise and Peruvian park, but check the latter, I would pick the former. You can also work on finding the better charters, but these are lottery, if your kids are typical Indian kids with solid PreK they should test into Sunrise assuming they are the right age. PreK options are paid for and challenger schools is a decent program for the preK crowd. PreK in charters is also an option but does not guarantee actual school place admission from K up, as the PreK program is often separate. Use the school profiles demographic data. Renting is really a big challenge in the Valley. Especially a house. Sort out the school placement as the priority.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:10 PM

914 posts, read 972,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetoslc View Post
We are of Indian descent and live in a small Louisiana town . We are planning to move to SLC in Summer 2017 and plan to rent an apartment until we get acquainted with the area. I will be working in downtown SLC, I am OK with 15-30 minutes of commute. We like Cottonwood heights - Sandy area and would like to rent an apartment in a good school zone. I would like to buy house in the same area so that kids don't have to change school whenever we buy a home. My older one will be in first grade next year and the younger one will start pre K -3

Any recommendations? Apartment or rental home is fine, in the later case what are good property management companies for rental houses?

Thank you.
I can recommend a great property search lady who is amazing. found us our place here. We were looking in Sandy and surrounding areas. Kids been in good schools throughout. Message me if want her details. She has found lots of places for susequent friends here. My kids in Canyons district at a SALTA school and we got tested even when deadlines had closed as relocated from UK. Granite district also a great school district.Kids have settled fgine and made frieds easily and there are children in their school who are from all over the US and other countries and its a more diverse place than expected. Sandy is a nice area with good schools as is cottonwood heights. Sandy is quite diverse as an area as is cottonwood heights, and has got more that way since we moved here in last 2 years. Lots of people moving in from out of state .Kids have been fine here and have both mormon and non mormon friends

Old 11-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
Many schools don't have strict geographic boundaries. If your kids are bright and test into magnet programs like SALTA in Canyons, ALPS in Jordan, and I am not sure what it is called in Granite, you can attend outside of boundary. Make sure you time your move to have your kids tested into such magnets (test time is specific, not open enrollment). Check with the granite and canyons school districts for admission criteria/test dates. Canyons elementary magnets would be at Sunrise and Peruvian park, but check the latter, I would pick the former. You can also work on finding the better charters, but these are lottery, if your kids are typical Indian kids with solid PreK they should test into Sunrise assuming they are the right age. PreK options are paid for and challenger schools is a decent program for the preK crowd. PreK in charters is also an option but does not guarantee actual school place admission from K up, as the PreK program is often separate. Use the school profiles demographic data. Renting is really a big challenge in the Valley. Especially a house. Sort out the school placement as the priority.
Thant is a good information, thank you! My younger one will turn 3 in summer and older one is 6 years old.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
I can recommend a great property search lady who is amazing. found us our place here. We were looking in Sandy and surrounding areas. Kids been in good schools throughout. Message me if want her details. She has found lots of places for susequent friends here. My kids in Canyons district at a SALTA school and we got tested even when deadlines had closed as relocated from UK. Granite district also a great school district.Kids have settled fgine and made frieds easily and there are children in their school who are from all over the US and other countries and its a more diverse place than expected. Sandy is a nice area with good schools as is cottonwood heights. Sandy is quite diverse as an area as is cottonwood heights, and has got more that way since we moved here in last 2 years. Lots of people moving in from out of state .Kids have been fine here and have both mormon and non mormon friends
It is good to know that Sandy is as diverse as Cottonwood heights, I like houses in east side of Sandy area and would love to live there someday! I will send you a message and would like to get more details on property search. Thanks a lot!

Old 11-28-2016, 06:53 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Just so you're not disappointed, I want you to realize that when people state "Sandy is diverse" what they mean is that Sandy is not quite 95% Non-Hispanic White, it's only 86% Non-Hispanic White. Calling Sandy "diverse" is kind of like calling a Ford F-150 a good economy car, because well, compared to the F-350 it really is.

Sandy is a good city, but it's not what one would consider diverse in race, income or lifestyle. It's a solidly middle class to upper-middle class, predominantly white, family suburb.

There are 82,000 people living in family households, compared with 5,100 in non-family households. Income distribution peaks from about 60,000 to 125,000 and 92% of families speak English at home. These are all solid metrics that speak of a safe, moderately upscale area that one should be happy to call home, but one thing Sandy is certainly not - is diverse... unless you compare it to maybe Farmington, UT... then yeah, super diverse.

Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 11-28-2016 at 07:01 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Just so you're not disappointed, I want you to realize that when people state "Sandy is diverse" what they mean is that Sandy is not quite 95% Non-Hispanic White, it's only 86% Non-Hispanic White. Calling Sandy "diverse" is kind of like calling a Ford F-150 a good economy car, because well, compared to the F-350 it really is.

Sandy is a good city, but it's not what one would consider diverse in race, income or lifestyle. It's a solidly middle class to upper-middle class, predominantly white, family suburb.

There are 82,000 people living in family households, compared with 5,100 in non-family households. Income distribution peaks from about 60,000 to 125,000 and 92% of families speak English at home. These are all solid metrics that speak of a safe, moderately upscale area that one should be happy to call home, but one thing Sandy is certainly not - is diverse... unless you compare it to maybe Farmington, UT... then yeah, super diverse.
Thank you, I will keep that in my mind. Our main concern is staying in a safe neighborhood near good school and within a reasonable commute distance from downtown.

On the light side : Currently living in a small Louisiana town within a bible belt region, anywhere in Salt Lake region will be diverse than here for us!

Last edited by movetoslc; 11-28-2016 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movetoslc View Post
Thank you, I will keep that in my mind. Our main concern is staying in a safe neighborhood near good school and within a reasonable commute distance from downtown.

On the light side : Currently living in a small Louisiana town within a bible belt region, anywhere in Salt Lake region will be diverse than here for us!
at least 15% of the kids at my kids school are of Far east origin, and what i mean by diverse is that not all the kids at the school are mormon, there is a big mix of faiths and non faith there and even some of those who are mormon are a bit laid back in attitude and mix socially . On top of that if you go to Sandy city there are title 1 schools which have predominantly non white, non mormon.

It is changing here alot as many are moving in from out of state and Sandy is one of the neighbourhoods they head for. We will never have as many kids as LDS families so they will always be the majority but my kids have mormon and non mormon friends and we mix socially with both and they have no issue with us liking to drink etc and my kids are always invited to parties and events. Maybe we have just been lucky. I think the problem is alot of kids who are not white even though they are born in the US are not considered american but hispanic etc which i find strange. Catogorisation tends to happen in the US, whereas where i come from in the UK if you are born in the UK you are British, not anglo something. You still keep your roots and traditions but as far as they and the UK is concerned you are a british citizen. Thats just my opinion!
My roots are originally from grandparents but I dont call myself anglo-polish and neither would anyone call me such. I was born in the UK and am British and at the same time are proud of my roots.

Our national soccer team has probably 25% who have origins in Africa, but they were born in the UK and are British and everyone says as much. They dont call themselves Anglo -African . Therein lies the problem sometimes.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:18 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
where i come from in the UK if you are born in the UK you are British, not anglo something. You still keep your roots and traditions but as far as they and the UK is concerned you are a british citizen. Thats just my opinion!
You *ended* that *argument* with *That's my opinion*, and that is what is nice to hear.
*You* have that opinion, but I have seen different, while working in the UK.

*Not Anglo something* ...

In the USA however, because of my skin colour (light brownish), they think I am an *import* (I am)
Because of my accent, they can not place me but *suspect* I am from Europe (I am not, but was raised and schooled in Europe - I am fluent in 5 European languages).
Then when they ask me where I was born, I sometimes *lie* and say *Philadelphia* (I can not come up with a more out of the way place to be from ...). Most of them reply with the typical term *Really ... ?*
If I would have said where I was really born, most of them would not know where that was anyway ...
While working in the UK, one of the people I worked with, asked me where I was born, and when I told her, she said that she knew exactly where that was !

When anybody asks me what I am, I always say that I am an American. I have been for over 50 years !
I have never described myself as Something-American !
Nobody in Europe has ever called me a *Something-American*.
It was always *Oh you are American ?*

Above a bit off topic ... Now back to Good schools !

When we came to Utah (when you marry a girl from Utah, you WILL end up here sooner or later !), the youngest of our kids finished high school in Utah and then went on to College.
So we never had the *problem* of trying to find good schools.

Are there actually *bad schools* in the SLC area ?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
You *ended* that *argument* with *That's my opinion*, and that is what is nice to hear.
*You* have that opinion, but I have seen different, while working in the UK.

*Not Anglo something* ...

In the USA however, because of my skin colour (light brownish), they think I am an *import* (I am)
Because of my accent, they can not place me but *suspect* I am from Europe (I am not, but was raised and schooled in Europe - I am fluent in 5 European languages).
Then when they ask me where I was born, I sometimes *lie* and say *Philadelphia* (I can not come up with a more out of the way place to be from ...). Most of them reply with the typical term *Really ... ?*
If I would have said where I was really born, most of them would not know where that was anyway ...
While working in the UK, one of the people I worked with, asked me where I was born, and when I told her, she said that she knew exactly where that was !

When anybody asks me what I am, I always say that I am an American. I have been for over 50 years !
I have never described myself as Something-American !
Nobody in Europe has ever called me a *Something-American*.
It was always *Oh you are American ?*

Above a bit off topic ... Now back to Good schools !

When we came to Utah (when you marry a girl from Utah, you WILL end up here sooner or later !), the youngest of our kids finished high school in Utah and then went on to College.
So we never had the *problem* of trying to find good schools.

Are there actually *bad schools* in the SLC area ?
There is a vast difference between schools here, but also the system in general is underfunded meaning kids don't get the support they necessarily need in schools. Class sizes are growing and there are good teachers here no doubt but they are not retained as they are not paid their worth and have limited resources such as basic stationary. Things are capped and having worked in two different systems you realise how much. Teachers are not valued and no flexibilty in the system. Meaning its a one size fits all system, great if you fit the mould, but if you don't then unlucky and they get further and further behind. Unless one can afford to pay a tutor.
Sport also seems to take presendence sadly over education meaning some kids are off for several times a year and then there is not the means to catch up. I think teachers in this state do an amazing job with such a rigid system and limited funds.Perhaps thats why they find it difficult these days to recruit people to go into teaching or lose them to other states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area