Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 06:31 PM

199 posts, read 255,769 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are moving to Utah from Florida in June 2017. I'm a 6th-grade Language Arts teacher and he is a commercial plumber by trade, but is currently a project manager in the plumbing division of a company that handles multiple aspects of construction. He also has several years of experience with estimating commercial projects. We aren't quite sure exactly where we are going to live yet, but we are thinking SLC proper as we are not religious and are liberal-leaning and our daughter is college-aged (she may come live with us a little later). The consensus seems to point toward Utah suburbs maybe not being the ideal place for us.

In regard to my teaching career, should I be looking at certain schools over others? I work in a public school and our large district has very few charter schools. Utah seems to be very different from what I am reading. Are there fantastic schools that I should definitely look into? Are there schools I should absolutely avoid at all costs? I've worked in a Title I school for the last five years. Over 98% of our students are living at or below poverty level, so I am pretty open to any school. (I suppose I would like to avoid a school with a high gang population. Is that a thing there? It is here). I am certified K-6. Sixth-grade is middle school here and it seems like sixth-grade is primarily elementary in Utah. Is this correct?

In regard to my husband's career, is there anyone in the construction industry that might be able to point him in the right direction? He has worked on large commercial projects like airports, hospitals, hotels, etc. as well as residential projects, but he certainly prefers commercial work. I'm also curious how the construction industry is in Utah? He has had not problem getting jobs in Florida, even during the worst years of the recession.

I am, of course, doing my due diligence in regard to my certifications and researching school districts, as is my husband with his online job searches. We have never made a move farther than a city from our hometowns, so it can be a little overwhelming.

We will welcome any advice on apartments and/or best neighborhoods as well. I'm vegan and SLC is full of vegan restaurants, so that makes me giddy as there are none where I live. I have to drive two hours to get vegan food. We would also love an eclectic/quaint neighborhood with lots to do (we are both 40) and with great access to hiking and the outdoors. We aren't asking for much, are we? Lol!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! And thank you to those who have already helped us a lot over in the general forums .

Last edited by Shellybug; 12-03-2016 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: adding to post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 10:24 PM

388 posts, read 548,945 times
Your house budget is going to be your biggest driver, really. The places that might suit you may well be outside your budget. Is your DH prepared to fix up a house? I doubt any school will be a challenge based on your history,. I am not sure there is a school with >98% poor students. In the south end of the valley 6th is now middle, so that might be something you use as a job preference, or not. Elementary classes will be smaller, middle school class sizes are massive.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
Your house budget is going to be your biggest driver, really. The places that might suit you may well be outside your budget. Is your DH prepared to fix up a house? I doubt any school will be a challenge based on your history,. I am not sure there is a school with >98% poor students. In the south end of the valley 6th is now middle, so that might be something you use as a job preference, or not. Elementary classes will be smaller, middle school class sizes are massive.
Thank you so much for the information. We are definitely not interested in purchasing a home, only renting; so, that likely makes a huge difference as well. I have been reading about the exponentially large MS classes. I have 143 now and that is very difficult to manage in regard to authentic feedback for students, so class size is intimidating.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:31 AM

914 posts, read 973,280 times
There are lots of title one schools(as they call them here) even in the suburbs. Sandy city being one of them where alot of kids live in mobile homes, are below the poverty line and also speak other languages. However this is elementary not MS. Gang thing i doubt will be an issue as tbh honest alot feel some areas are scary here like WVC but they are nothing compared to other areas of the US!

Check about relicencing too as this maybe something you have to do in Utah! It maybe varies by district but know the school district i work in you can't just come in and teach you have to jump through hoops!

I would stay downtown tbh. Walkable, lots more choice of places to eat and properties in y opinion have far more charachter and less cookie cutter(unless thats what you are looking for!)

Sugarhouse is a good area to start as lots of bars, eateries, grocery stores etc all within walking distance and also trax service(public transport) Has a great vibe and certainly different vibe to the burbs! Middle wschool class sizes are huge as unlike where I come from they do not cap them. We are in the south end of the valley and my daughter has 42+ students in all her classes and she is doing honors classes.

I can recommend someone who does property searches here to use. Her company are amazing and actually looking now for us as I am moving back home but my husband needs to stay on for a bit. We were near highland drive in sugarhouse yesterday and its a great area but also near the Uof U is good .If you want her details let me know as found homes for lots of my friends here to rent or buy and knows the areas and markets well. drop me a message if needed

Any other questions, let me know. There is a good theatre scene and music scene here. Probably not comparible to big cities but do get broadway shows and big artists for music and they dont always sell out as less people seem to go out here

Utah symphony amazing plus a few museums and other places of interest. Lots of sports stuff too

Good luck. School terms start different depending on school district as some year round and others traditional so dont return to school until end aug as they get 3 months off !!!

Old 12-10-2016, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,160 times
Hey Shellybug, I'm moving out there around the same time as you. My wife is a vegetarian. Hope you're experience is great. We'll probably have to rent an apartment for a couple of months since it'll be almost impossible with switching jobs to get a mortgage without first a job history. Keep us updated on things you discover.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Lots of vegetarian restaurants but maybe be spread out a bit

Old 02-08-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaliv3 View Post
Hey Shellybug, I'm moving out there around the same time as you. My wife is a vegetarian. Hope you're experience is great. We'll probably have to rent an apartment for a couple of months since it'll be almost impossible with switching jobs to get a mortgage without first a job history. Keep us updated on things you discover.
Thank you! I hope yours is great as well . We just reserved our Pod yesterday. It wasn't too expensive considering we are moving 2500 miles! We are going to be renting as well. I will keep you updated! I hope you keep us updated as well. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
There are lots of title one schools(as they call them here) even in the suburbs. Sandy city being one of them where alot of kids live in mobile homes, are below the poverty line and also speak other languages. However this is elementary not MS. Gang thing i doubt will be an issue as tbh honest alot feel some areas are scary here like WVC but they are nothing compared to other areas of the US!

Check about relicencing too as this maybe something you have to do in Utah! It maybe varies by district but know the school district i work in you can't just come in and teach you have to jump through hoops!

I would stay downtown tbh. Walkable, lots more choice of places to eat and properties in y opinion have far more charachter and less cookie cutter(unless thats what you are looking for!)

Sugarhouse is a good area to start as lots of bars, eateries, grocery stores etc all within walking distance and also trax service(public transport) Has a great vibe and certainly different vibe to the burbs! Middle wschool class sizes are huge as unlike where I come from they do not cap them. We are in the south end of the valley and my daughter has 42+ students in all her classes and she is doing honors classes.

I can recommend someone who does property searches here to use. Her company are amazing and actually looking now for us as I am moving back home but my husband needs to stay on for a bit. We were near highland drive in sugarhouse yesterday and its a great area but also near the Uof U is good .If you want her details let me know as found homes for lots of my friends here to rent or buy and knows the areas and markets well. drop me a message if needed

Any other questions, let me know. There is a good theatre scene and music scene here. Probably not comparible to big cities but do get broadway shows and big artists for music and they dont always sell out as less people seem to go out here

Utah symphony amazing plus a few museums and other places of interest. Lots of sports stuff too

Good luck. School terms start different depending on school district as some year round and others traditional so dont return to school until end aug as they get 3 months off !!!
Thank you so much Montygirl! I think Sugarhouse might be my favorite (although it is so hard to tell when you have never physically visited a place!). I would love to get your friend's information since we will be renting and will definitely need to find a place.

I am currently trying to figure out the best way to approach my Utah teaching certification. We thought we were going to move to Colorado and I obtained my Co. license which was fairly straightforward. Utah seems a bit more complicated. I teach middle school (6th grade), but it looks like 6th grade is elementary there, although I am certified K-6. I also need to take the Praxis since Florida did not require it. Lots to do!!!

Old 02-09-2017, 03:50 PM

914 posts, read 973,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybug View Post
Thank you so much Montygirl! I think Sugarhouse might be my favorite (although it is so hard to tell when you have never physically visited a place!). I would love to get your friend's information since we will be renting and will definitely need to find a place.

I am currently trying to figure out the best way to approach my Utah teaching certification. We thought we were going to move to Colorado and I obtained my Co. license which was fairly straightforward. Utah seems a bit more complicated. I teach middle school (6th grade), but it looks like 6th grade is elementary there, although I am certified K-6. I also need to take the Praxis since Florida did not require it. Lots to do!!!

Hey I have PM you her details. Yes its great or liberty park area, sugarhouse has a walkable community, buses and lots of great bars and restaurants. Its way more funky than the burbs. Oh yes they like you to jump through hoops here then wonder why they find it hard to get teachers ! Have a look on good schools site and from there can tell what grade 6 is in . Canyons has 6th in middle schools . Or look at individual district sites. There is Granite, Salt lake city, Canyons, Jordan to name a few but they are some of the ones closest to the city

any questions drop me a note!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area