U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:20 PM

2,835 posts, read 5,611,664 times

Advertisements

heheh Hrothgar guess our Detroit authority on the Greater Salt Lake Area got to you as well. It's reasonably easy to paint with a wide brush when it comes to an area that has a "reputation" for a pretty good reason. I would have to agree elevating a place that is a KNOWN harbinger of crime and gangs whether you've managed to find a small spot there that doesn't have those types of folks living next door or not, it simply doesn't make a place "desirable" if you tend to like to not worry about having your things messed with, home broken into or run over by a run away druggie (I hear several of those each week in WVC going on live on the police channels).

There are few reasons one can truly defend the likes of such areas other than if they live there and feel you're stepping on their toes. It is as they say, what it is. You can put lipstick on a pig.........it's STILL a pig as they say also. Anyone that truly knows me (few here I suspect) know I don't go out of my way to offend anyone. But I do tend to say it like it IS, or as our beloved President has been slowly getting the point across, "political correctness" ain't where it's at. At least not in my book either. Can't please everyone that's for sure. I only wish those that have come to this thread could spend an evening ( or best yet Friday or Saturday evening) listening to a properly programmed police/fire scanner. (I most highly recommend the Uniden HomePatrol 1 or 2 which require no programming, they are already pre programmed by zip code you enter). It might make them think twice before trying to elevate the image of a place that I'm sorry to say doesn't deserve it. When people come onto this forum asking about where they should move (or not) I feel they need to know about these issues. Let them make up their own decisions upon their priorities.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 PM

104 posts, read 100,552 times
It is definitely irritating to not only repeatedly be called a liar, even after offering proof but to throw some arrogant know it all attitude on top? Yeah, I am more than willing to speak up about that! WVC is a sleazy scumhole. <---- Note the period.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:34 PM

1,787 posts, read 2,032,981 times
Regardless of where I live today, I can assure you that I know the in's and out's of West Valley City better than most (all?) people on this board and owning my house there ended up being quite the positive investment. I've also still yet to see a single attempt at refuting my math stating that the odds of hrothgar being victim to those crimes at random are 1 in 2,165,414,237, or roughly about the odds of filling out a perfect NCAA bracket by picking teams at random. Would either of you like to make an attempt at refuting my math? Or are the two of you enjoying your little echo-chamber a bit too much? I hate the be the interference in it but objectivity is more valuable on a board like City-Data than tales.

Am I saying West Valley City is crime free? Obviously not. It has the 5th highest Moderator cut: snark

Also, since when am I a hipster? I mean, yeah, enjoying a coffee with my wife and kids at Roasting Plant before riding the Q-Line up to the art museum or taking the riverwalk over to Belle Isle may sound like the activity of a hipster, but I can assure you that I have zero facial hair, I don't own a single pair of Wayfarers, and I only do the flannel thing when I'm out working in the field. Plus it's all ghetto here, I heard so from some guy on the Internet <--- Note the smug face

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-24-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-24-2017, 06:49 PM

OK then, so I'll agree with you that those towns you just mentioned with issues are indeed in accordance with my scanner listening results. They do indeed have issues needless to say. Would I buy a home in WVC, TAylorsville, Kearns or Magna? Not in yours or my lifetime. I'd move out of the area first (which just might happen in a few more years). As for your area....I'd be up in Rochester, MI if I had to live in that general area. Just my taste. Used to travel there several times a year on business. To each their own I guess

Old 05-24-2017, 07:38 PM

6,415 posts, read 3,781,618 times
Isn't Ogden (presidents streets) the only "dangerous" place in Utah?

Last edited by SWFL_Native; 05-24-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
OK then, so I'll agree with you that those towns you just mentioned with issues are indeed in accordance with my scanner listening results. They do indeed have issues needless to say. Would I buy a home in WVC, TAylorsville, Kearns or Magna? Not in yours or my lifetime. I'd move out of the area first (which just might happen in a few more years). As for your area....I'd be up in Rochester, MI if I had to live in that general area. Just my taste. Used to travel there several times a year on business. To each their own I guess
Rochester is a beautiful area with a quaint downtown. I actually hosted a topic on the Detroit forum recently looking for input on the best places in Metro Detroit and Rochester came up as the #1 place for retirement - my family and I rented in Royal Oak for a while and then bought a place in Berkley. (Younger, cheaper, more hipsters with flannel..)

I should host a similar topic for the SLC metro board. It spawned a lot of good discussion. In fact, I think I'ma go do that right now!

Yeah, I mean I agree to a point. At this point in my life (career, kids, etc.) I wouldn't buy a house in WVC again either. But when I was 25, had nothing for a down payment, had just barely started my career and was earning a bit less, and didn't have kids to make me look at school district ratings it was actually a really fun place to live. Lots of great ethnic restaurants, friendly/down-to-earth neighbors, great commute, all those things I mentioned in my first post. I get it, it's not Park City, but it's also not all a ghetto. Hunter is pretty nice and like I referenced before has a lot of mid-to-high income residents. Redwood is pretty rough. All I ask is that we please differentiate neighborhoods there as we would the Avenues from Glendale.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM

Laughable, cold hard proof offered multiple times yet here we are back to putting statistics into a narrow tube and demanding anything other than that must obviously be a lie.

The fact the person continually dodges the fact to return to spinning WVC into some glorious, secretly high income utopia when anyone who has ever been there knows it is a ghetto sewer.... Kind of says it all regarding this "debate."

Old 05-25-2017, 03:09 PM

hrothgar, Do you even read my posts or do you just read what you think you read and then construct a strawman to respond to? I literally just said the city has the 5th highest violent crime rate in Utah after South Salt Lake, Salt Lake City, Roosevelt, and Murray. Statistically speaking, there are safer places. Where I live today is a safer place, but WVC isn't exactly war-torn Syria, as you seem to indicate. To take this a step further, would you call Murray a "sleazy scumhole"? Yeah, didn't think so.

Regarding high income, I simply stated people underestimate the income here. The 84128 Zip Code (Hunter, WVC) had a 2015 Median Family Income of $61,838, which is a little bit higher than what one would expect income to be in a "ghetto sewer". For contrast, the 84106 Zip Code (Sugar House, SLC) has a 2015 Median Family Income of $55,837, and just about everyone here will indicate that Sugar House is a pretty nice place to live. Can you offer a reason for this statistical anomaly? Why does the Hunter area appear to have a relatively middle class income for such a ghetto slum hole or whatever insulting description you'd like to use to make yourself feel better? Are you going to tell me that not only is the FBI wrong, but the IRS is too?

The point is one anecdote does not refute a body of data. You have your mind made up based on a personal experience, which I still maintain is likely self-induced, and I have my data. You can ignore my data if you'd like, but readers on here typically want to be apprised of the reality of things though numbers and discussion of said numbers rather than one poster's anecdotal, opinion-based diatribes.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:27 PM

I think there is an element of personal preferences involved with many of these decisions as well. For me personally, the further away from your "statistics" as to where "stuff" happens, but better. I left Chicago for that reason, moved out to California for a bit, left Redwood City to move to Half Moon Bay for the same reason. When I returned to Utah we started out renting in Holladay. Then relocated a block from where we met in the E. Millcreek area, once again to at least maintain a relatively crime free life experience. It worked out quite well. When it came time where we finally could build a home we looked at everything from Saratoga Springs, Riverton and Herriman which at the time (2003) were just beginning to boom. The obvious reason we didn't choose to stay in the E. Millcreek/Holladay area was $$$ were not in line let alone the ability to build a home to our own specks from brand new with a bit more land.

It's all worked out quite nicely. In the last 13 years we've been out here the place has not only grown with housing but the shopping available has more than quadrupled. We've now got top notch grocery shopping (Smith's Marketplace, Sprouts, Harmons and more) along with tons of restaurants (you name the chain) as well as some independents. My fav built just down the road a ways, Nielsons Frozen Custard . Our doctor and dentist is 10 minutes away with no traffic issues. Most all of our neighbors keep eyes on things whenever someone is away. There are kids present most of the time to some degree, so mommy squad is around. I see the Unified Police SUV cruise around on a scheduled basis quite often.

Is it "ideal".....well it depends who you'd ask I suppose. I'm a "peace and quiet" kind of guy, which isn't making this kiddie loaded area exactly my cup of tea, but it could as you say be worse.. When it IS quiet it is wonderful. We always get a slight breeze, so I'll sit out on my deck on the hillside and view the entire SL Valley on all but a horrid inversion day (not tons of them but more than I'd care for). Compared to dealing with the "potential" issues that arise daily in a WVC environment........well....no thanks.....I'll take this. That was perhaps my ONLY point from the start. That coupled with the fact I fully admit I LOVE "country" and "space". The MORE the merrier. So city life is NOT my thing. Keep the traffic, the crowds and pollution I'll take the wide open spaces when possible every time. I'd much rather sit on a deck with a forest or water view and no immediate neighbor around, no sound but the breeze in the trees. THAT is my preference. I already am aware I'm a very small minority around here, that's for sure.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:49 PM

Yes, clearly I stoke from myself. Btw it was MULTIPLE issues, not one as you keep trying to insinuate to downplay just how ghetto WVC is. Get real dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area