Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:53 AM

108 posts, read 120,871 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!

I've been writing a little bit on the Montana forum since the family and I were thinking about Missoula, MT as a new home, but we changed our minds a bit.

I'm a 32 yr old guy, went to school in Logan, have my B.S. in Economics, working as a Controller right now for a big mining company. Third year for me here.
Wife just turned 29, has been working as an English teacher at a high school, but is a stay-at-home wife at the moment with our 4 month old son.

The twist is that we're currently living and working in northern Sweden, I'm Swedish and had to move back home after I graduated in 2008. Been living here since.
My wife is from Salt Lake, born and raised, so she has some family there of course. I also have plenty of friends in Salt Lake and some family in Logan.

We're now planning on leaving Sweden behind, for many reasons, and moving to SLC. I wouldn't mind a smaller town, but it seems a lot easier to find a good job in SLC and also many opportunities for our litte guy. So we're going to start in SLC and then we'll see what happens.

The plan right now is to be in SLC by January of 2018. We have some stuff here we need to take care of, plus I want to get another year worth of experience on my resume.
We're looking at a fixer-upper house close to Sugarhouse area, that's where the wife grew up, and her dad lives around there.

However, nothing of this is relevant right now when we got 10-11 months til we move, but I'm also trying to find contacts for a job when we land. Don't want to be searching for a job for several months once we move, but I want to have something lined up. Hard, but we'll see.

What I am wondering is;
1. Does this sound plausible to you Utah'ns?
2. I love the outdoors, and Utah is a nice state for that. But I'm concerned about Giardia and hunting opportunities. How is it really?
3. What's a decent price for a fixer-upper in Sugarhouse or similar areas?
4. Any other tips or ideas I can have use for? I'd love to get in contact with financial headhunters or even someone who's interested in hiring me as a Controller or Accountant or other in that field.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:05 AM

186 posts, read 604,142 times
1. Plausilbe. Just get your ducks in a row first.
2. Hunting is fantastic in the area, no issues, and fabulous fishing as well. Giardia is real, but if you're not stupid about it (drinking water near a cow pasture etc). Just take the standard precautions and you'll be fine.
3. Check RedFin for prices/realestate. It's a VERY popular area, so it'll be priced high. You can get a small 2br fixer upper for $400,000, but once again, see RedFin.
4. Can't help you on jobs, but try the standard online places, as well as KSL.com

Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:19 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
You mention:
Wife has family in Utah, you have friends here.
How good of family and friends ?

Best way is word of mouth and having people *here* to look for you while still *there*.
Especially for *possible fixer uppers*.

Jobs ? Mining ? I do know of only 2 places, Kennecott and the ones near Price ?
Have you listed yourself in some database yet ?

You are working for some *big mining company* now.
They have any professional contacts here ?
Is the job of being a *controller* not somewhat generic and not tied to some specific discipline ?
When push comes to shove, your wife could work for a short while to keep you going financially, while in the mean time you start knocking on doors.

Last edited by irman; 02-16-2017 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspoon View Post
1. Plausilbe. Just get your ducks in a row first.
2. Hunting is fantastic in the area, no issues, and fabulous fishing as well. Giardia is real, but if you're not stupid about it (drinking water near a cow pasture etc). Just take the standard precautions and you'll be fine.
3. Check RedFin for prices/realestate. It's a VERY popular area, so it'll be priced high. You can get a small 2br fixer upper for $400,000, but once again, see RedFin.
4. Can't help you on jobs, but try the standard online places, as well as KSL.com

Hope this helps.
Ok, glad to hear about the hunting. My father in law claims there're not that much hunting around anymore, so I wanted to double check. I have a dog that loves to hunt grouse and I've found out there're some grouse up in the mountains, excited to try that!
The fishing part I'm aware of, did some fly fishing in Logan canyon and also up in Idaho when I was at school, super excited for that too since fishing up here is good, but not that good.

I bolded the part about giardia.
How about drinking water from streams up in the mountains, if one go back country fishing/hunting? I know there're plenty of tools to clean water if necessary, I'm just wondering if it's possible without cleaning and not get sick.

$400k is a bit steep for us, for any type of home. We would want something around $200k max. I've looked quite a bit on Trulia and it looks tough finding a decent place close to Sugarhouse and the likes for that kind of money.. Oh well..

Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
You mention:
Wife has family in Utah, you have friends here.
How good of family and friends ?

Best way is word of mouth and having people *here* to look for you while still *there*.
Especially for *possible fixer uppers*.

Jobs ? Mining ? I do know of only 2 places, Kennecott and the ones near Price ?
Have you listed yourself in some database yet ?

You are working for some *big mining company* now.
They have any professional contacts here ?
Is the job of being a *controller* not somewhat generic and not tied to some specific discipline ?
When push comes to shove, your wife could work for a short while to keep you going financially, while in the mean time you start knocking on doors.
Family, like in father in law, brothers in law. One brother in law lives in Layton.
I have close friends from college time, keeping contact still. My family lives in Logan though.
FIL will help us look for a decent house, good thing we have plenty of time right now.

My company does not operate in the States, so no help there.
Mining is just the industry I'm in at the moment, as a Controller the job is pretty much the same whatever industry, so that's always good.
I'm active on both Indeed.com and Linkedin, sending my resume out the open jobs and also trying to get in contact with headhunting firms. Not sure what else I could do, except word of mouth. Which I'm also doing

Yes, we have talked about that maybe wifey needs to work for a bit til I find something that will keep us afloat, so I guess we're on the right track.

Thanks for the replies!

Any other areas to consider that are similar to Sugarhouse, but cheaper? Not sure I want to commute more than 20 minutes one way, for work.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:02 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seww6 View Post
Any other areas to consider that are similar to Sugarhouse, but cheaper? Not sure I want to commute more than 20 minutes one way, for work.
That is a question that can not be answered right now, simply because any of us, including you, would not have any idea where you finally may end up ...

Have faith that something will turn up and if you are meant to be here, you will succeed !

Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 PM

121 posts, read 190,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seww6 View Post
How about drinking water from streams up in the mountains, if one go back country fishing/hunting? I know there're plenty of tools to clean water if necessary, I'm just wondering if it's possible without cleaning and not get sick.
There are so many affordable and lightweight options to purify water these days that it seems silly to risk it. I use a Sawyer Mini. The filter plus squeeze bag only weigh a few ounces and barely take up an pack space.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:53 PM

388 posts, read 548,806 times
Right, a lifestraw is $20. You can always have one on hand.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
That is a question that can not be answered right now, simply because any of us, including you, would not have any idea where you finally may end up ...

Have faith that something will turn up and if you are meant to be here, you will succeed !
True that. But it's fun to look at Trulia and so forth to plan a head

Thanks for the kind words, we're working on this adventure!

Old 02-19-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksman View Post
There are so many affordable and lightweight options to purify water these days that it seems silly to risk it. I use a Sawyer Mini. The filter plus squeeze bag only weigh a few ounces and barely take up an pack space.
This is true. I'm just not used to using one since up here we have clean water everywhere... I can drink water in the ditch or out in a field and it's all clean.
Might taste funny but wont hurt me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: