U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 01:31 PM

913 posts, read 778,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycookiestl View Post
Well, I guess that is an unrealistic budget. We could do up to 400k probably but going higher would really be pushing it. We have a 4 bedroom home now that is 3200 sq ft, but I would much rather go smaller. That is much bigger than we need currently. That said - it seems like houses in Utah have enormous number of bedrooms! I have never lived anywhere you could find more than 4 bedrooms outside of a mansion. We would want 3 or 4 bedrooms and probably more like 2500 sq ft.

Yes we found the budget jumps as they are either a couple of bedrooms or jump to a 5 bed! Reason is they have huge families in this state! Part of the LDS culture here. Kids are everywhere lol !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 01:39 PM

913 posts, read 778,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycookiestl View Post
Also, we are really just getting started at looking in the area, but the reason I would like to be close to the U, is I would like to possibly work there, too, and it seems like a long commute would not be conducive to both of us working. I work part time at our university here and enjoy it and would love to work out something similar. Are there any recommendations for figuring out the school districts here? There seem to be so many and I have a hard time figuring out even where the boundaries are. Everywhere I have lived previously has had country or city school districts so the ones seem a little confusing to me.
Oh yes, not straightforward here to look at stuff, even harder if out of the country as they block everything! Made our task huge when moving there! There was also the break away of the east side suburbs in Salt Lake county a few years ago where those schools left the Jordan district and became Canyons school district.

Nearest to the city is SLC, and then cottonwood heights (about 15 mins from city ) is in Granite school district. Maybe look on great schools as think tells you the district. I can't advise now back in Europe as cant access anything education wise in Utah !!
Canyons covers Sandy, Draper, Murray etc. Jordan school district covers Daybreak, West Jordan, South Jordan, Riverton

Failing that use google a very handy tool online for looking anything up. If have any questions drop me a note. You may find rentals/ houses in Cottonwood heights that match the budget. But if have a property estate person they may able to help further. I have someone who is great if you want her details let me know and she can advise.

Have couple of friends in Murray which isnt too far out of City and depends on where there you are looking or Holladay but not sure how far $$ will go. Sugarhouse also really nice but again can be expensive as such a popular place to live especially for implants . Hope that helps

Old 03-03-2017, 03:19 PM

118 posts, read 146,576 times
Check Zip codes 84109, 84124, and 84121. I see several 3-4 bedroom, 2000-2500 sq ft listings under 400k in those areas. These zip codes run north to south on the east side of the I215 loop. It's an easy commute or bus ride from there up Foothill Blvd to the U. Lots of U and hospital employees live there. I believe these areas are all in the Granite school district.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 PM

384 posts, read 422,142 times
There are good schools in all the districts, my personal feeling is to avoid the west, as mass development, fecundity and finances have created school funding problems (property tax is very low here). If you have bright kids make sure to understand the magnet (academic, not language) programs. SALTA, ALPS, etc (granite and Davies will have their own acronyms I am sure). Magnets transcend boundaries even in desirable schools but expect to have to drive and don't expect buses. Get to know the testing window for the programs.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:18 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,453,379 times
I still say check the Bountiful area, Woods Cross, North Salt Lake, etc. The most traffic is in the South going North - Foothill Blvd is always backed up in the morning when people go to the U, and backed up in the evening when people are leaving the U, and there's often traffic on 15 going towards SLC from the South (more delays and accidents than coming from the North to SLC).

There are also plenty of houses in that area that are around $300,000 for 4-5 bedrooms, good schools, and around 2500 feet. For instance:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...12659108_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...12671834_zpid/
(There are plenty more on Zillow.)

You might consider renting for a year and get your lay of the land - figure out if you'd prefer to live South of SLC, or North of SLC, etc.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:23 PM

23,780 posts, read 24,167,264 times
My dad taught at the "U" for about 35 years. During that time, we lived in the Highland Park area, which is kind of sandwiched in between Sugar House and East Millcreek. It's a nice area and the commute to the "U" was generally about 20 minutes or so.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 3,024 times
I agree with Katzpur, Highland Park is a great area for your commute and budget. The budget might be a bit tight in the current market, but it is a good value for the location. The houses are a bit on the small side, however, nice neighborhoods and close to Sugarhouse park. This area is east of Highland Drive to 2300 E and between the I-80 freeway to 3300 S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or