Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 10,255 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I have reading over a lot of your comments and I really never been to Utah. So this very new to me. My husband is relocating to SLC, we will going probably in June when schools lets out.
A little bit of info about my family. First of all we are from a small beach town in New Jersey. I have three children, one is preschool age, one in elementary and one in middle school. Yes, it is public school with about 18 kids per class. My son in miidle is in a special education class so school resources and speech are important. As you can probably tell education is the most important to me. I need a diversified system. We speak English and Spanish in our home because my husband is from Mexico. So,of course I need some international grocery stores close by. I would like a town that is just starting or has a smaller spanish population. Not Midvale. Also,I would like to go bike riding. My son id in Cub Scounts and Karate where my daughter is heavily into Choir and the Sciences at her middle school. I am a Registered Nurse I will already have job when I get there.
We are really looking to renting for a year until we are used to the area. Then will buy.
Thanks everone for yor help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 02:36 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
There are quite a few international stores in the Salt Lake valley -- Asian, Latin, Russian. The biggest concentration are in Salt Lake City itself and nearby areas of West Valley. I'm not sure by your post if you do or do not want to live in a place with a large Hispanic population. There are quite a few hispanics all over the valley, with more probably in West Valley and Salt Lake City.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 10,255 times
Thanks for your reply. I do want like in an area that does have a hispanic population just a small amount. Just not places like Midvale. Pleases let me know if there are any areas like that. Thanks

Old 12-04-2006, 03:40 PM

56 posts, read 254,096 times
cbellaza-

I think you'll find that the beauty of the Salt Lake valley is that it is so easy to get almost anywhere. The areas that are growing (so a little newer) tend to be South and West of Salt Lake City. These are areas like Riverton, Tooele, etc. I personally don't have a feel for the Hispanic population in these areas. If you want to live in a newer area, you may have to compromise and decide that a smaller Hispanic community (and the drive to go to a market that has more authentic items) is worth the newer area. Here is the number for the Hispanic Affairs office in Salt Lake: (801) 538-8755. I bet they could give you some better ideas on the community (if that is important to you).

Sorry, I am not yet familiar with special education courses in and around Salt Lake. My gut says that you are going to find greater access to programs closer into the city, but that's only a guess. For more information you may want to contact the Salt Lake School's Special Education Services at (801) 646-4522 where they should be able to provide more information.

Hope that helps.

-askslc

Old 12-07-2006, 12:57 PM

129 posts, read 515,388 times
Just curious: why not Midvale?

P.S. besides Hispanics there are quite a few Polynesians in the area, Tongans, Samoans, etc.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:18 AM

14 posts, read 62,942 times
I moved from NJ as well, a big difference in culture but you'll love it here. I'm west of SLC in Tooele, we do have a hispanic grocery store right on main st.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 19,843 times
Hi Cbelleza,

I think your family won't have any problems finding what you are looking for. There is quite a large hispanic population here as well as several ethnic markets such as mexican, asian, greek and italian. The education system here could use more funding but that is true of a lot of states, however, I'm sure they have a lot of programs that will address your family's needs.

The Salt Lake area is a great place to raise a family and has a lot of recreational activities to take advantage of. I have a lot of friends that have moved here from out east and absolutely love it here. Although one thing that Salt Lake lacks is a night life if that is of any importance to you, however, things are rapidly changing in the downtown area to make that better. One other thing that you'll need to educate yourself more on is the LDS culture, which doesn't have as strong of a presence in Salt Lake County as neighboring counties.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:47 AM

71 posts, read 293,601 times
Sugarhouse or the area around Highland High School sounds like it would suit if the commute is not too far. The Valley becomes increasingly hispanic as you go west.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:08 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
The closer to the central city area you get, the higher the percentage of hispanic people. Unfortunately, those areas are often not the safest. I'd go along with griffin. Sugarhouse is an older area but still very nice. It would probably have a larger hispanic population than other areas in the valley. Hopefully, your husband will be able to pick up more English once he's here. There are a number of different options for doing that.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The closer to the central city area you get, the higher the percentage of hispanic people. Unfortunately, those areas are often not the safest. I'd go along with griffin. Sugarhouse is an older area but still very nice. It would probably have a larger hispanic population than other areas in the valley. Hopefully, your husband will be able to pick up more English once he's here. There are a number of different options for doing that.
I don't think Sugar House has a higher percentage of Hispanics than usual on the east side of the valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area