U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 15,866 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any info good/bad on St. John the Baptist school? Is it as good as the local public schools? We are looking for a home in Pepperwood and would like any info on this neighborhood as well. We are relocating from NJ which is a big culture shock for us.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 AM

104 posts, read 268,941 times
Hi there!
I have just bought a home in Pepperwood and also have enrolled my kids in St. John the Baptist for the upcoming school year. We are moving from PA. After visiting the school I fell in love with it! So clean and everyone was so nice. Because the land and buildings were donated they do not have a mortgage which allows them to keep up with the times in terms of computers, music, art etc.. I felt really great about it as my children have been in public school here in PA.
There are at least three other families with kids at St. John's that I have met and are interested in carpooling. They've told me that there are a bunch of families from the school that live in the community. I was worried about the same thing as you but I think because of Pepperwood's prices a lot of transient executives and their families are moving in there and it's becoming more diverse. We drove all over Draper and Sandy to look at homes. Pepperwood reminded me most of the East coast and so we felt most at home there. Also, I felt that with the market the way it is Pepperwood would hold it's value more because homeowners are more likely to come down to a price that makes sense since most are the original owners. They are already making a lot off the house. Draper new homes need to get their price because their loans are that high. There is not as much negotiating room. At least this is how I felt when we did the research and toured the homes.

I hope you pick Pepperwood because I would love a new neighbor! We close on July 15th and will be moved in by the first week of August.

Jen

Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 PM

4 posts, read 15,866 times
Wow, we seem to have a lot in common. We are looking to rent a home in Pepperwood first. I'm worried that I don't know the area well enough to purchase yet. My kids are going into 1st, 3rd, 6th and 7th. We are in public school now and love it so I'm a bit worried about going into a catholic school. I went to one in NJ and I always felt alienated from people in my own town. It's nice to know that Pepperwood has some SJB kids there. Do your kids play sports?

We will be moving mid July. Just in time for the start of football practice. I would love to carpool! I already feel so much better about the move - thanks for your response, this is a pretty big jump for us as I'm sure it is for you too.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 PM

104 posts, read 268,941 times
Wow, so crazy! I am from NJ, went to Notre Dame HS in Lawrenceville. My parents still live in Robbinsville. I was a buyer for Nordstrom and had my office in the Paramus mall. Small world, huh?
Yes, my kids are into sports. I have two boys, kindergarten and third grade for the upcoming year. We are doing Juan Diego football for my third grader but he will be a week late as they won't be there until the 9th. They are both playing soccer for Inter FC travel U7 and travel U9. We will wrestling in the fall with Mountain Top Wrestling and ski with the ski club. Yes, we are a big sports family!
Have you found a home to rent in Pepperwood yet? You'll have to let me know where you are. You can direct message me.

Have you visited St. John's? I think you will like it. As far as academics, I would say they are average, maybe slightly higher than public. It's just the whole atmosphere I liked. They said that 90% of their students are from outside of Utah so I thought my kids would fit in right away because they are used to getting new students. My third grader is above grade level and I do worry that he may not be challenged but I think if a parent is pretty involved everything will be ok in the long run.

It will be very nice to have an East coaster there! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Jen

Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,473 times
Default Pepperwood

The pool and playground are a magnet for people to meet each other. We first moved to Pepperwood in the late fall and worried about meeting people. As soon as the pool, playground and tennis courts were useable we met a lot of people. The amount of interaction depends on the street you pick. Some have many older residents - many of them are great interactors, but no children at home. Ours is mixed. There are twenty-three children 14 and under within a 1-2 minute walk from our house. Ethnic diversity is a challenge in most places in Utah, but getting better. The PW community is primarily (over 90%) Northern European in origin, but there are a fair number of people with other backgrounds; in order probably Asian, Latino, African. Most children attend public schools, but a good number attend private and parochial schools. Utah is open enrollment, but the decision for schooling involves finding your transportation outside of the local public system. PW is a good place to live, but large lots and ample vegetation make the over the fence relationships more difficult. Both issues can be overcome by individual effots. Any religion is a non-factor unless you decide to make it one. People who are easily influenced by incorrect information or phobia's may be challenged anyplace. People when feared as a group rather than known as individuals can become a problem anywhere. If you have already decided you don't like Mormons or worry about them you best look for a place in Salt Lake City proper. It has the largest collection of dedicated Mormon haters in the State and a couple of good parochial schools.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:05 PM

835 posts, read 1,695,988 times
Wow Denver, that seems harsh to call someone a "Mormon Hater". I am not in SLC proper but close and have yet to encounter anyone that is a "hater" of anything other than the inversion....

Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 PM

6 posts, read 17,093 times
Hello, I'm new at this so hopefully, I won't break any rules. We are relocating to SLC from Denver in the first/second week of August. My hubby has been looking at Pepperwood and is meeting with a Realtor on Tuesday. The prices are quite high, but am hoping to find a resale in there, we need to sell our home here in Denver first, so we will be renting for awhile. We want to be in a great public school and hoping to get into Granite, or Eastwood, we can't do private for 3 boys as I have triplet boys that are 12 going into 6th. After reading posts for about two hours, I've been on a roller coaster ride of emotions about LDS vs Non LDS acceptance. Bottom line I just want my boys to be accepted and have friends. To be able to participate in activities and do sports and grow up happy and healthy and with good morals and love in their hearts. Do I need to worry about them being treated as outsiders and not having friends because we are not LDS? That would break my heart if that happens to them. Their such good boys, and have from early on been taught to accept all races and religions. Any information/advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:24 AM

494 posts, read 1,618,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcj2011 View Post
Hello, I'm new at this so hopefully, I won't break any rules. We are relocating to SLC from Denver in the first/second week of August. My hubby has been looking at Pepperwood and is meeting with a Realtor on Tuesday. The prices are quite high, but am hoping to find a resale in there, we need to sell our home here in Denver first, so we will be renting for awhile. We want to be in a great public school and hoping to get into Granite, or Eastwood, we can't do private for 3 boys as I have triplet boys that are 12 going into 6th. After reading posts for about two hours, I've been on a roller coaster ride of emotions about LDS vs Non LDS acceptance. Bottom line I just want my boys to be accepted and have friends. To be able to participate in activities and do sports and grow up happy and healthy and with good morals and love in their hearts. Do I need to worry about them being treated as outsiders and not having friends because we are not LDS? That would break my heart if that happens to them. Their such good boys, and have from early on been taught to accept all races and religions. Any information/advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to Utah! I used to work for Sandy City and spent quite a bit of time in the Pepperwood area, so hopefully I can answer your questions. There is quite a diverse range of housing in Pepperwood, from 300K all the way past 1 million dollars. The cheaper housing is in the "older" part of Pepperwood (the west side), but the homes are still nice and most have been updated. The schools in the Canyons School District are all good - Alta High School is one of the best schools in the state. I wouldn't worry about quality of education. I wouldn't worry too much about being accepted; I've noticed over the past 20 years (in general) LDS members are becoming more accepting and embracing of other religions/cultures (certainly not that way when I grew up). Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck! P.S. - where will you and/or your husband be working? Commute time may be a factor in where you decide to live. Pepperwood is a good 20 minutes from I-15.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 PM

52 posts, read 138,319 times
IMO~
St. John's is oft-known as a top choice private elementary in Sandy/Draper--it draws children from throughout those areas--get ready to a bit of driving to play dates. Many top graduates of teacher ed programs are eager to work at St. Johns. The school really emphasize community and teaches good values (kindness, service projects). The parent base is a tight-knit group--educated and invested, but not snotty. If y'all are smart, generous, responsible type you'll fit right in. There will probably be opportunities for your kids to meet and greet at picnics or whatnot before the school year starts. They do a good job of catering to athletic kids and type who are more into other things. The students are great--perhaps a bit more mellow and naive than their non-UT counterparts. A lot of families are drawn to St. Johns because they're originally from out of state or non-LDS, but there are LDS kids there too. It's a healthy mix. Sorry I can't be more specific. Just want to encourage you that you've chosen a good school. Say yes to coffee dates with other mothers if you can--it'll help bring you your kids into the fold (prob stating the obvious there ).

Old 07-04-2011, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 17,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm03160 View Post
Welcome to Utah! I used to work for Sandy City and spent quite a bit of time in the Pepperwood area, so hopefully I can answer your questions. There is quite a diverse range of housing in Pepperwood, from 300K all the way past 1 million dollars. The cheaper housing is in the "older" part of Pepperwood (the west side), but the homes are still nice and most have been updated. The schools in the Canyons School District are all good - Alta High School is one of the best schools in the state. I wouldn't worry about quality of education. I wouldn't worry too much about being accepted; I've noticed over the past 20 years (in general) LDS members are becoming more accepting and embracing of other religions/cultures (certainly not that way when I grew up). Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck! P.S. - where will you and/or your husband be working? Commute time may be a factor in where you decide to live. Pepperwood is a good 20 minutes from I-15.
Thank you kwm3160 for your reply. I'm feeling a bit better. My husband will be working in the South Jordan area off of South 10000. However any driving commute is going to be better than the 2 1/2 + years he has been commuting weekly via airplane to his job. He just couldn't do it anymore....and neither could I. I was a single mom for all that time and it became a toll on both of us. Thanks for all your support. I'd put a smiley in but can't seem to find one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area