Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times

Advertisements

Hello SLC Forum Members! Kind of long, so breaking this into sections and a recap at the bottom.

- Intro and About Me
The company I work for has had an opportunity open up and it is based in Salt Lake City or Phoenix. Being from Ohio, I think the lack of seasons in AZ would get old quick. At least being in PHX. Thus, Salt Lake City is my first choice and where I am starting my search. As a note, I am a single late-20's male in suburban Columbus, Ohio, but originally from suburban Dayton, Ohio.

Non-LDS, so have no idea what that does with the dating scene when I can be home. I don't mind being in a higher concentration of LDS-members (it is SLC after all). If it matters, I am Catholic and moderately conservative (I voted for Romney and then Kasich). My parents also have LDS neighbors in Ohio and I had friends in high school who were LDS (a lot worked at Wright-Patt AFB and the AFRL near my hometown).

- Job, Housing & Budget
The position is similar to what I have now in that it travels 4-5 days during the week (via airports and airlines and not usually car), so location to the airport is important. But when home on the weekends, I want to be able to have easy access (short drive or walkable) to things to do on the weekends. Shopping, bookstore(s) (local or Barnes & Noble), local parks or concerts (in the parks or a venue), festivals and markets. Stuff like that. Right now I can be at a large destination center in Columbus with stores, restaurants and such in 10-15 minutes and it's about 4-5 miles away. I lease a car (Subaru Impreza), which looks like it is needed as much as in Columbus for transportation. Though I noticed a light rail line to the airport. How reliable and regularly is that line running?

Right now, the position would be lateral as far as salary, so I am basing my budget on what I have here in Columbus. I would like to spend around $850-$1000 per month for a one bedroom. If I could find a two-bedroom so I could have a separate office, that would be a bonus. The second bedroom could even be a den. I currently pay with all utilities and cable/internet around $1000/month. If I could trim some off that, I would be thrilled. I am also trying to save for a house / condo / townhouse (preferably the latter two) so was wondering what average sale prices are running in the SLC area now. Columbus prices have rocketed over the last 2-3 years as inventory has become extremely tight with houses and condos selling within days in desirable areas. Usually with multiple offers and bidding wars.

-Neighborhoods
What areas would encompass this budget? Does it go anywhere in SLC or its suburbs? I live in a suburb now, but it is a more established suburb with housing ranging from the 60's to the 00's. The complex I live in was built in the early to mid 90's. I don't require anything brand new, so any more modern updates would be another bonus. Neighborhoods, complexes or street names with multi-unit properties would be appreciated. Of course, it would be easier to rent from a complex, as I don't really have time to apartment hunt. But I am not opposed to being in a private landlord managed residence.

If anyone has any COL comparisons between Columbus and SLC, that would also be appreciated.

I hope that covers what I am looking for!
- $850-$1000 / month for one-two bedroom apartment / townhome
- Decent neighborhood with easily accessible amenities (shops, events)
- Relatively good and/or quick access to the airport
- Not an exclusively LDS or even non-LDS family-oriented area (but not college party central either! I have passed that point in life!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 04:57 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
This is a good resource...

http://www.ksl.com/homes/index/rentler

Search the following zips/cities (my preferences bolded):

84107 maybe
84115 maybe

Sandy
South Jordan

Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I hope that covers what I am looking for!
- $850-$1000 / month for one-two bedroom apartment / townhome
- Decent neighborhood with easily accessible amenities (shops, events)
- Relatively good and/or quick access to the airport
- Not an exclusively LDS or even non-LDS family-oriented area (but not college party central either! I have passed that point in life!)
I would probably look in the downtown area, if I were you. I really don't know anything about Columbus, Ohio's downtown, so I can't compare the two, but based on what you've told us about yourself, I think that downtown would suit you best. It's definitely not a "big city downtown," if that thought puts you off. You could probably get something decent downtown within your budget, but I'm guessing it would be close to the upper end of what you have to spend. Trax (our lightrail system) does, indeed, go from downtown to the airport. It's all of about a ten-minute ride, and the trains run very reliably about every 15 minutes.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:38 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
I was checking apartment prices. While I love (from afar) the Sugar House area, I think it will be too expensive for what I want. There are a few affordable properties downtown, including Cowboy Properties Gateway location. From what I have found online, both here and elsewhere, The Gateway is in sore need of redevelopment. There are some things there (like a Barnes & Noble!) but it looks like a shell of its former and relatively new self. Is this proerty set to recover via redevelopment anytime soon? Or is the B&N going to disappear and the whole thing becomes an ugly, empty eye-sore?

There was another Cowboys Properties that looked promising in West Jordan near Jordan Landing? Any thoughts on Liberty Landing?

Again, I have a list of places around Sugar House, but depending on how the job package comes back (if it comes back!!!), are there any other properties you would recommend searching for online or avoiding all together? Any thoughts on Irving School House?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: