Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 AM

15 posts, read 26,847 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have been doing a bunch of research into the SLC area with the idea of possibly moving here. I have run into a question about the air quality which has me stumped. From my understanding of inversions the air quality should be fairly similar anywhere in the valley, however, when I went to the Government site for air quality and compared the air quality of Davis, Weber, Utah, and SLC counties I found that the air quality for Davis county is listed as significantly better than that of any of the other counties. Does anyone have an explanation for why that would be? Maybe the way the data is collected makes the air quality seem better than it actually is somehow? Or is the air quality in Davis truly better and my understanding of how pollution from inversions work is wrong?
Thanks for any insight you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 07:32 AM

163 posts, read 318,271 times
We hear a lot of discussion about the overall tendency for inversions to occur in our area, and its clear that the same weather phenomena affects the entire Wasatch front. However, my thought is that the quality of the air being generated in a specific area and (then being trapped when an inversion occurs) also plays a significant role. If there are more cars and other pollution generators in the Salt Lake valley, then it stands to reason that the overall air quality will be worse when the pollution cannot dissipate. This was something I though I could observe when I looked down toward the valley from the bench in Weber County. On bad air days in January, the smog appeared darker and dirtier along the I-15 corridor. Davis county has refineries along the south end and the Air Force base to the north, but the areas in between have historically been more rural/agricultural and absent of industrial polluters.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,543 times
For Ozone? Yes - less idling cars.

For Particulate Matter? No - There is still just as much population density of people running furnaces and burning logs, and things are actually worse in Southern Davis County (Bountiful/WX/NSL) due to the refineries.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
For Ozone? Yes - less idling cars.

For Particulate Matter? No - There is still just as much population density of people running furnaces and burning logs, and things are actually worse in Southern Davis County (Bountiful/WX/NSL) due to the refineries.
Interesting. I thought what I read said that both particle and ozone were significantly better in Davis county, but now I'll have to go back and look. If I remember correctly the one air monitoring station is in the middle of Bountiful so it would be especially odd to me if Bountiful is particularly bad even though the stats on the EPA site say differently. I'll have to look it up again.

Does anyone know if I am allowed to include a link to an outside source of data like that? I vaguely remember a rule restricting what external links you can post. I'll try and find it again myself but if anyone knows offhand it would be nice to not have to go digging around.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcee499 View Post
We hear a lot of discussion about the overall tendency for inversions to occur in our area, and its clear that the same weather phenomena affects the entire Wasatch front. However, my thought is that the quality of the air being generated in a specific area and (then being trapped when an inversion occurs) also plays a significant role. If there are more cars and other pollution generators in the Salt Lake valley, then it stands to reason that the overall air quality will be worse when the pollution cannot dissipate. This was something I though I could observe when I looked down toward the valley from the bench in Weber County. On bad air days in January, the smog appeared darker and dirtier along the I-15 corridor. Davis county has refineries along the south end and the Air Force base to the north, but the areas in between have historically been more rural/agricultural and absent of industrial polluters.
That is also super interesting, and, at least intuitively, makes a lot of sense, thanks! If there isn't any wind within the inversion then even though all the air in the valley trapped in one place, the valley, it makes sense that different there would be pockets with better an worse air quality.

I'm just curious, would you include Central and northern bountiful in the middle section with potentially better air quality?

Old 04-29-2017, 08:34 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,543 times
I grew up in Northern Bountiful, near Pages Lane, you could most definitely smell the refineries during the Winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: