Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,911 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Wife and I are moving to SLC in June (relocating and working for the U). We've rented for too long and finally decided to buy a house; after some viewing we've decided on a house in the Millcreek area (84124) on the border of Holladay.

The city was apparently just created December of 2016...? Can anyone tell me a little bit more about this and how/why it decided to separate from SLC?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 11:03 PM

121 posts, read 188,818 times
84124 zip code has an interesting split. The middle section that is south of 3900 South, east of Highland Drive, and west of I215 is in Holladay (the part east of 2700 East just annexed a couple years ago). The areas west of Highland Drive, north of 3900 South, and east of I215 (Olympus Cove) are all now part of Millcreek city.

Millcreek was never part of Salt Lake City. It was an unincorporated township in Salt Lake County. There has been a push off and on over the years to incorporate and it just finally happened. Search the Salt Lake Trib website to find articles with more info.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:34 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,982,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksman View Post
84124 zip code has an interesting split. The middle section that is south of 3900 South, east of Highland Drive, and west of I215 is in Holladay (the part east of 2700 East just annexed a couple years ago). The areas west of Highland Drive, north of 3900 South, and east of I215 (Olympus Cove) are all now part of Millcreek city.

Millcreek was never part of Salt Lake City. It was an unincorporated township in Salt Lake County. There has been a push off and on over the years to incorporate and it just finally happened. Search the Salt Lake Trib website to find articles with more info.
LOL, we moved exactly here a little over a year ago when this whole story was still fresh. House was listed as "East Millcreek." Initially it was quite confusing. In fact, an old timer told us that the area was actually Holladay to begin with! (not sure when that was, 60s maybe) But it's nice to be in Holladay for silly reasons - when we do stuff in the downtown area we can hold our heads high as true locals! Regardless, it's a great area.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 04-26-2017 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: forgot detail

Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,716,337 times
I lived in that area for a number of years. Both about 1900 E. and 3300 South as well as about 20th E. and Evergreen area. Indeed both those spots were always referred to as "East Millcreek". Millcreek per se was always understood as the area that was WEST of Highland Dr. East of Highland Drive was considered East Millcreek. Not only did the property values reflect that, but these days the crime rates and such are considerably different especially once you get West of 1300 East. The area "up the hill" a ways like 2300 East and further are quite nice indeed and good neighborhoods in general. I never had any issues living in that E. Millcreek area back when I lived there first during the late 70's then again from about 1994-2004 when we built a home out in Herriman. A number of the homes my wife's friends lived in near the creek 20th or so East about 3300-3900 South were super nice. it does start to get a little dicey West of 300 East for sure. How south you are seems to also be a huge factor. Better to be south of 3900 South if you're a tad further west also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area