U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:04 PM

15 posts, read 62,938 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a college student who is thinking about transfering to the University of Utah in SLC. I have lived in California my intire life. I will be moving there with my boyfriend and we are both a little concerned about the fact that neither of us are mormons. I have heard a lot about the numbers of LDS in SLC and don't want to be looked down upon or feel like an outsider. I have never spent anytime in Utah and would like to know if an non-mormon would be accepted into SLC.

Thanks, Danni

Old 12-04-2006, 04:14 PM

1,804 posts, read 7,005,332 times
Being non-LDS is not a concern at the University of Utah. Probably 50 percent of the students there are not LDS, as are a lot of the faculty.

I've gone to both BYU and the U. A lot of people at BYU claim the U has gone to the other extreme and is the "anti-mormon" school. I haven't felt that (other than at the annual rivalry football game, but that's ignorant fans in my opinion), and I think it does a pretty good job of melding the different cultures.

I'm currently in the U of U MBA program if you have questions about the school.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:18 PM

I would love to know more about the school! I currently am going to a school that is almost completely commuters. I was hoping for something that had a little more unity and school spirit than my current location. What is your opinion of the U?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:48 PM

56 posts, read 228,233 times
dani88-

My wife is in grad school at the U. as well. I would second what coolcats says about the population at the school. I wouldn't be worried about being looked down upon or not finding friends. There are plenty of great non-LDS (and LDS) people. It is different though... here is an example: We were at a school holiday party a few weeks back and there was karaoke. One of the non-LDS guys dressed up as Santa Clause and was singing a few songs. You should have heard the LDS part of the crowd... "is he drunk. Oh my gosh... oh my..." He hadn't been drinking at all. It's just these weird little perceptions that go back and forth. Usually they are of no consequence but these little things can get to you if you decide you want to let them.

As far as the commuter deal... I would say that quite a few people do commute to the U, but they have their share of fraternities/sororities and other school groups. So, they are out there if you look. If you want more of the traditional feel, I would try to live close to the school and join some of the organizations.

-askslc

Old 12-04-2006, 04:54 PM

Thank you both so much you have been helpful. I would like to be involved more with the school and the community than I am now so I will look into area's close to the school, I am planing on renting an apartment, any suggestions??

Old 12-04-2006, 05:04 PM

1,804 posts, read 7,005,332 times
The U has somewhat of a reputation of being a commuter school, but I don't think its a complete commuter school because it's a major university with all that goes with it.

Personally, I am less involved up there then when I was at BYU. I felt more school spirit at BYU. But things are different now -- being in grad school, married with kids and living in a regular house vs. a student apartment has a lot to do with it.

There are lots of apartment complexes and basements for rent close to the U. I don't know much about pricing since I'm not in that market. The good thing is though, that its right on the light rail line, so you don't have to live really close to get there easily (perhaps contributing to the commuter aspect). All students get free transit passes.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:07 PM

The price of rent is not really an issue for me. I am mainly concerned about finding a quality complex in a good neighborhood that is close to the school.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 7,407 times
Default u of u

Hey there - I graduated from the U back in 2003. I loved it there. I lived in apartments, condos, and houses. They're pretty easy to find once you're in Salt Lake. There's a large selection of houses close to the U and it seems there are always a ton to rent. I think the closer you are, the more of a student life you're going to get. As for the Mormon, non-Mormon thing. I had plenty of friends who were both. Last I heard, Salt Lake is 50% Mormon - but not all of those who are go to church or practice it. All in all, they're all easy to get along with - that said, you still might encounter a few crazies (in both cases - the anti-mormons are almost worse sometimes). Good luck!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,324 times
Default LDS in Southern Utah?

You might want to look into Southern Utah versus northern Utah and there is a great university in Cedar City (Southern Utah University) which has been highly rated in terms of educational excellence, affordability, programs, etc.
I lived as a non-Mormon in and around SLC and found there to be a definite non-Mormon bias, in many cases not even subtley. I left Utah and moved back East writing it off completely with a bad taste in my mouth. I then began reading about St. George in Southern Utah, visited there and found it to be a whole different world. There are a lot of Californians moving there, and though there is an LDS presence there, they have a different attitude and are much more friendly with non-Mormons. Also, it is only a 5 hours drive for us to visit family in So. Cal. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have or point you to more informational resources. Feel free to contact me directly through my member name. We love it here and love telling people about it.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 49,517 times
I moved to SLC from New Jersey... and everyone asked "are you going to become mormon?" or "whats out there other than mormons"....
Ive been here for 5 yrs and you can easily find a crowd of people that arent mormon (especially if youre going to the U) i have a lot of friends that go to the U and theres always parties going on.
good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area