Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 03:14 PM

22 posts, read 37,668 times

Advertisements

Me again - I am seriously considering relocating back to the SLC area but on my last visit I was amazed/disappointed in the development in the Draper, Sandy & South Jordan area. I don't want a lot of land but I would like more than what some of the new developments are providing. I've looked North of SLC (Farmington & Kaysville) but didn't like the developments that I toured. Wondering about Lehi area - there's some new developments opening up. I never ventured out that direction much when I lived in Sandy 20 years ago. I've heard it is also developing quickly and has a lot of hi-tech there/coming in. Just wondering about quality of life. I don't mind being that far from downtown SLC and like the idea to have more open space around (at least for now). Any thoughts/words of wisdom I should consider? I'll be making another trip to SLC in a few weeks but looking for local feedback that I won't get just by driving around. Give it to me...the good and the bad and everything in between. Thanks in advance for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 05:17 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I tend to go through that way fairly often. Indeed it is growing like a weed. Most of the developments I've seen are homes fairly packed together and not a lot of land. I'd say on average the most one would typically expect is a 1/3rd acre. It is pretty solid LDS if that's your thing. Rather "white bread" living overall. Plenty of shopping for what you would typically need. On the East just past I-15 you have tons of shopping and restaurants, and on the West there is Saratoga Springs which has also sprung up big time with quite a lot of shopping available there. Tons of schools. I'd say it does indeed have more of a suburban flavor to be sure and by no means like the city in any way. To me that's not a bad thing, to others its a pariah. I understand prices are still somewhat reasonable as it's geared toward larger families typically. The tech stuff is largely over by the Thanksgiving Point area. I suspect you'll be able to get a good feel for it pretty quick once you're here and check it all out in a day.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:38 PM

Thanks dcisive! I see you are in Herriman - do you like it there? That's another town I'm looking into. I'm hoping to make my next move permanent. I moved around during my career (grew up/college/started career in MA, then transfer to TX, UT, & CA). Out of these 4 states + those that I traveled to on business, Utah is the only one I'm considering settling down in. Close to the places I love to visit (Nat'l Parks) and not a long flight from my family in MA. I just wish SLC area didn't get so over populated with commercial buildings and new homes in the 20 years I was gone. Guess that's what happens when you host the Olympic games - the best kept secret gets out. Let me know your thoughts about Herriman. I'm not looking for a huge plot of land, a 1/3 acre will do and even a 1/5 acre - I would just like to have my curtains up and not see into my neighbors house

Old 05-20-2017, 09:19 AM

Herriman is a interesting layout. You can be in a multi unit living space, a small single family home in a packed neighborhood scenario, on up to a 1/3rd acre lot home a bit more spread out to a virtual rural setting more towards Rose Canyon. I would think if I were doing what you're doing I'd be hooking up with a competent Real Estate agent who would take me on the full tour to make sure I got to see all of what was possible in this town. It is reasonably well run. Has great police coverage (very little crime) and they are building a lot of spaces for more businesses such as retail and restaurants on the main street of 13400 South. It's certainly close enough to tons of shopping over at a place called "The District". Movie theaters, restaurants, shopping (Smiths, Smiths Marketplace and Harmons right near by). For clothing you've got Kohl's, Penny's, Ross, Gordmans and more. It surprised me when they even added a Nielson's Frozen Custard nearby.....my favorite of all time. I have heard from neighbors that the schools are rather good so if that's a concern no worries. The new Herriman High School is a "State Of The Art" school.

The did manage to stuff some "high density housing" north of 13400 S. so I'm frankly glad I'm not over that way. "up the hill" is a great view we've become quite spoiled on. I can see downtown Salt Lake on most days real well (25 miles as the crow flies). I've found that more often than not where we are up the hill we are out of the worst of the inversions that tend to creep up more so in the winters. Street cleaning and removal of snow is quite efficient I must say. There is still some building going on so for a brand new home there is no real shortage either with plenty being sold all the time that are probably less than 10 or so years old.

I lived for a decade before in the E. Millcreek area around 20th East and 3400 South. The prices of homes were prohibitive when we went looking to buy so back in 2003 Herriman was just getting started. It sure has grown since then and is only now quieting down just a little compared to the insane boom before. I would certainly consider it a good fit for those that do NOT commute a ton. If the time to get there was not a big issue one could of course choose to go with the TRAX which you pick up just down the road at Daybreak, but as one poster mentioned before it's not exactly a fast instant way to get downtown. Living out here was a good fit as I rarely go into the city. My main attraction there is Pictureline as I'm a photographer but honestly buy from B&H in New York mostly. My doctor and dentist is just 10 minutes away in Riverton. We also now have a HUGE new segment of the IHC medical organization with the Riverton Hospital 5 minutes from here just in case. It's pretty convenient for folks like me to be out this way I guess. Check it out.....

Old 05-20-2017, 07:10 PM

120 posts, read 166,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matxutca View Post
Thanks dcisive! I see you are in Herriman - do you like it there? That's another town I'm looking into. I'm hoping to make my next move permanent. I moved around during my career (grew up/college/started career in MA, then transfer to TX, UT, & CA). Out of these 4 states + those that I traveled to on business, Utah is the only one I'm considering settling down in. Close to the places I love to visit (Nat'l Parks) and not a long flight from my family in MA. I just wish SLC area didn't get so over populated with commercial buildings and new homes in the 20 years I was gone. Guess that's what happens when you host the Olympic games - the best kept secret gets out. Let me know your thoughts about Herriman. I'm not looking for a huge plot of land, a 1/3 acre will do and even a 1/5 acre - I would just like to have my curtains up and not see into my neighbors house

It wasn't the Olympics that caused the growth and explosion, there was an explosion of jobs along the Wasatch Front in the last several years drawing people in.

Anyways to answer your question it seems like most new housing in Lehi are built almost on top of each other. It does look like Alpine and Highland next to Lehi have a ton of houses with good sized properties and breathing room. They are also very nice clean family neighborhoods and probably exactly what you are looking for! Good luck!

Old 05-20-2017, 08:09 PM

Yeah but if you're going to consider Alpine or Highland be sure to bring a VERY big checkbook along. The prices are typically several levels over what Lehi is running. Don't get me wrong if you have the budget Alpine is a super choice. More rural to be sure and with wonderful mountain views and much less packed in. But indeed you pay for it.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:11 PM

Thanks again decisive & hrothgar! I hope to get out in the next few weeks so I can determine which areas to focus.

decisive - I don't do photography professionally I am a serious amateur. I too get all my equipment at B&H! One of the reasons for my relocation is related to my retirement and desire to be closer to my favorite places to visit...the National Parks in Utah. I've also gotten into nature photography and spend most weekend mornings at local parks.

hrothgar - thanks for your take on areas around Lehi - will keep them in mind.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Indeed if you have wheels the Salt Lake Area is a photographers playground. I easily pop down to Zion Natl Park. Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon or even locally tons of places you can head up a canyon and explore. Weekdays are of course ideal as the population on weekends is quite prohibitive. Even day drives up to Jackson Hole and the Tetons, Yellowstone Park, Glacier Natl Park and more. A couple full tanks of gas and you're pretty unlimited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area