U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:37 PM

27 posts, read 25,183 times

Advertisements

I posted my question on Utah forum but did not get answers so posting over here hoping if anyone familiar to Orem area can answer my questions!

We had done all the research for our move to SLC and had also figured out schools etc. I was expected to keep my job and work from Utah. Things did not go as planned, I applied for various jobs and now I may be getting an offer from UVU. I will be in the area next week for campus visit.

We are a young family with two kids, one will be in fist grade and second in PreK -3. I don't want to spend time in commuting and would like to rent somewhere within 15 minute drive to UVU. My son goes to a a very good school over here and is also very good with maths so we would like him to attend a comparable school in Utah. What area in north Utah county should I consider when looking for a rental property? We plan to rent for 6 months or a year while we look for a house.

I was checking schools online and looks like there are very few to no rentals available in my preferred school districts (Foothill, Highland, Shelley elementary) .

Is it feasible to live in Draper and drive to UVU? How bad does it get in winter? I have lived in south since i landed here so I don't have any experience with driving in snow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 01:50 PM

49 posts, read 92,804 times
Draper to UVU is like 30 minutes if there isn't traffic and roads are good. Even in the winter, the freeways are usually fine unless it's actively snowing. They do a good job of keeping things clear. Depending on the winter, you may have 5 "bad storms" the entire winter that actually overlap your commute and cause delays. A lot of times, UDOT has handled the roads and is dealing with the storm before you're even out there.

I would say it's less the winter and more just day to day traffic. It used to be that most people lived south and drove north for work, so those in your scenario (on the other side of the freeway) didn't have as much of a terrible time. With all the growth, it's still worse going north in the morning and south in the evening - so you're on the less traffic side - but it isn't as light as it was.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:52 AM

Thank you! I would like to avoid commute, so I may stick to pleasant grove - American Fork area I guess!

Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 PM

120 posts, read 147,918 times
Spanish Fork, Springville, Orem, Vinyard, Lindon, Pleasant Grove, American Fork, Lehi, Saratoga Springs and Eagle Mtn are all good areas with pretty good schooling, all things considered.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:49 PM

13,419 posts, read 12,743,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetoslc View Post
Thank you! I would like to avoid commute, so I may stick to pleasant grove - American Fork area I guess!
If you take the time to do any research on this forum, one of the things you will discover is that a large number of posters recommend against out-of-state people making their first move in Utah to the very areas you are describing--Utah County. Draper or South Jordan are better choices all things considered.

I do not want to recapitulate the numerous versions of this question that have been asked and the similarity of answers.

Suffice it to say that while we Mormons are good people, you may not like living in an area that is 80% LDS. This particularly true with a young family.

If you want to read more on this topic, than do so some simple research.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:34 PM

I visited the area and even the administrators told me the same thing. I am waiting on final answer regarding job and thinking about living in Draper. All online reviews are good for Draper schools and my commute time may be less compared to Sandy/south Jordan (I assume!)

Any tips on commuting from south salt lake county to Utah Valley? I noticed it took me roughly 25 minutes from UVU to Draper as traffic was moving slow on I15

Thank you.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 PM

It is slow and only getting slower when it comes to trafic congestion.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,878 times
The Provo/Orem area is a great place for your kids to grow up. If you're not LDS I'd suggest a bigger town central to the business hub of Utah - Provo/Orem - Salt Lake - Sandy - Sugar House. The smaller the town in Utah the more it is like Footloose and people wonder why you never buy garments or own a Book of Mormon.

People in Utah have never seen traffic like LA, San Fransisco, even Phoenix or Seattle. So when people say, "Traffic sucks". Take it with a grain of salt if you lived and commuted in an area like Denver or larger.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:40 PM

And here we go with THAT game, just like the lame "you don't know what ghetto is" game..... From Cleveland, lived two decades in Phoenix. The traffic here is horrible and only getting worse. Just because someone lives in Utah doesn't mean they haven't experienced or ever lived elsewhere.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:53 PM

26,305 posts, read 27,620,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbangboom View Post
The Provo/Orem area is a great place for your kids to grow up. If you're not LDS I'd suggest a bigger town central to the business hub of Utah - Provo/Orem - Salt Lake - Sandy - Sugar House. The smaller the town in Utah the more it is like Footloose and people wonder why you never buy garments or own a Book of Mormon.

People in Utah have never seen traffic like LA, San Fransisco, even Phoenix or Seattle. So when people say, "Traffic sucks". Take it with a grain of salt if you lived and commuted in an area like Denver or larger.
I just want to know how long you lived in Utah, when it was, and where specifically, since you seem to be such an authority on the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area