U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 AM

6,410 posts, read 3,770,320 times

Advertisements

Just went under contract with our first home up in Bountiful (South Davis county). It took us 2.5 years to find the right house in our budget. Probably looked at a few thousand houses online and a few hundred in person. All the way North to Layton & Syracuse and South to Saratoga Springs and west to Tooele.

Feels good to have some finality to the process (assuming inspection and appraisal) go well!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:43 PM

5,117 posts, read 4,996,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Just went under contract with our first home up in Bountiful (South Davis county). It took us 2.5 years to find the right house in our budget. Probably looked at a few thousand houses online and a few hundred in person. All the way North to Layton & Syracuse and South to Saratoga Springs and west to Tooele.

Feels good to have some finality to the process (assuming inspection and appraisal) go well!
Congrats!

The housing market there has me very frustrated. Hub is out in SLC for work this week, so he had a realtor show him 6 houses after work last night. Mind you, these were houses that cost MUCH MORE than the beautiful home we are currently in. Hub said some were so awful he basically walked in and right back out. I just don't get it.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 PM

23,647 posts, read 24,058,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Congrats!

The housing market there has me very frustrated. Hub is out in SLC for work this week, so he had a realtor show him 6 houses after work last night. Mind you, these were houses that cost MUCH MORE than the beautiful home we are currently in. Hub said some were so awful he basically walked in and right back out. I just don't get it.
You don't get it? Well, I've got to say... that makes two of us.

You said (in your first thread) that you were looking for homes in the $600K to $1M range. I've been trying to figure out how someone could find a home in Salt Lake City in that price range to be "so awful" that they just "basically walked in and right back out." I've been thinking about your post for several hours, and wondering how to put this without seeming terribly rude. But I strongly suspect that any of us here on this forum would be thrilled for the chance to move into a $600K to $1M home on the north bench of Salt Lake City. You are probably talking to the wrong group of people if you're looking for a shoulder to cry on. I live in what I would describe as a middle to upper-middle-class home and neighborhood. My guess is that my house would probably sell for somewhere right around $400K. I have never felt that I was living in any kind of sub-par housing, but judging from everything you've said, my place would probably qualify as a slum to you. You're probably a very nice person, but it's clear to me that we on this forum simply are not of your social standing. Stop for just a minute and think about how your comments might be coming across.

In all honesty, I feel sorry for you, having to move here. You are not going to be happy. You are probably going to be miserable, and that's unfortunate, because this is a really nice place to live. You said the move is due to a job transfer. Unless there is absolutely no other option and no way out, I'd strongly suggest that you decline to make the move, and take whatever comes with that decision.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-27-2017 at 11:13 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

You said (in your first thread) that you were looking for homes in the $600K to $1M range. I've been trying to figure out how someone could find a home in Salt Lake City in that price range to be "so awful" that they just "basically walked in and right back out." I've been thinking about your post for several hours, and wondering how to put this without seeming terribly rude. But I strongly suspect that any of us here on this forum would be thrilled for the chance to move into a $600K to $1M home on the north bench of Salt Lake City. You are probably talking to the wrong group of people if you're looking for a shoulder to cry on. I live in what I would describe as a middle to upper-middle-class home and neighborhood. My guess is that my house would probably sell for somewhere right around $400K. I have never felt that I was living in any kind of sub-par housing, but judging from everything you've said, my place would probably qualify as a slum to you. You're probably a very nice person, but it's clear to me that we on this forum simply are not of your social standing. Stop for just a minute and think about how your comments might be coming across.

In all honesty, I feel sorry for you, having to move here. You are not going to be happy. You are probably going to be miserable, and that's unfortunate, because this is a really nice place to live. You said the move is due to a job transfer. Unless there is absolutely no other option and no way out, I'd strongly suggest that you decline to make the move, and take whatever comes with that decision.
Wow, what a hurtful post.

In my many moves and many house searches, I have seen some awful houses in all price ranges. I'll never forget a $500K house we looked at in Boston several years ago that was in such horrible disrepair I would not have wanted to live in the house for free (and trust me, you wouldn't have either), let alone for that price! Hub happened to see a couple of houses this week in SLC that were like that. Does that make me deserving of your scolding? Would YOU want to pay $500-600K dollars for a house in disrepair? Just because a house is listed at a certain price doesn't mean it's worth it, it doesn't mean it's in nice shape, and it's frustrating to go see a house that is clearly over-priced for its condition.

How that makes me deserving of your rudeness is beyond me.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:43 AM

50 posts, read 70,906 times
Prices are high here, and will continue to grow higher because we are out of land. We are surrounded by mountains and the easily commutable areas (to downtown) are built up. This means in order to find bigger lots, affordability, etc., you will have to go further out. I will not be surprised at all if in ten years from now we have many who have California like commutes of 2 hours each way to work -- or hopefully get to telecommute.

I think you mentioned having land where you currently are? Maybe I just have that in my head. If you're looking for a large, spacious lot you probably are going to see older homes needing repair because land is the true value here, not so much the house. Newer homes are built where you can stand between two houses and touch both sides. We're not like Texas in the sense that we have large metropolises all across the state with miles of flat land expanded out for development. We pretty much have Ogden down to Provo as far as workforce/opportunity and build out is already on both sides.

I would say check out Heber City, Midway - get an SUV, and know you're going to have a commute. Park City as well based on your price point.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Wow, what a hurtful post.
Well, I'm sorry. I just told you, in the nicest way I could, how you are coming across to those of us who are not in your income bracket. It makes me feel bad when I hurt someone, but I really have felt kind of offended by many of your comments since your very first post, and have just continued to try to overlook them.

Quote:
Would YOU want to pay $500-600K dollars for a house in disrepair? Just because a house is listed at a certain price doesn't mean it's worth it, it doesn't mean it's in nice shape, and it's frustrating to go see a house that is clearly over-priced for its condition.
Okay, you've got a point. Some houses are definitely overpriced, and I can understand why it would be frustrating to waste your time looking at them. Perhaps your husband should tell your realtor not to even bother taking you to homes that you're going to need to pour another $1K into to make them livable.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-28-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-28-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm sorry. I just told you, in the nicest way I could, how you are coming across to those of us who are not in your income bracket. It makes me feel bad when I hurt someone, but I really have felt kind of offended by many of your comments since your very first post, and have just continued to try to overlook them.

Okay, you've got a point. Some houses are definitely overpriced, and I can understand why it would be frustrating to waste your time looking at them. Perhaps your husband should tell your realtor not to even bother taking you to homes that you're going to need to pour another $1K into to make them livable.
All six houses we've lived in the past 10 years were $300-500K, which is right where your $400K house falls. (So I'm not sure what caused your snide comment about my "income bracket") I've discovered that houses comparable to what we have now, are almost double that in the SLC suburbs (92% higher according to an online comparison calculator). I don't want to spend that much on a house!!! I'm sorry if trying to explain that sounded snobby, offensive, or anything else negative.

As far as "many of my comments" being offensive, well, none were said with any malice. I do know my first post was written when I was feeling rather devastated by this sudden and unexpected "uprooting," but I found reason to be optimistic in this very thread of shellybug's observations. And I've continued to feel more encouraged, except for the unfavorable housing market. Oh well.

For now, I need to get back to cleaning my house, touching up paint nicks, power washing the sidewalk and patio, washing all the windows, spreading new mulch, replacing some dying shrubs, and everything else that needs done to sell this house. I suppose if I were in a higher "income bracket" I would just pay someone else to do those things for me, sigh.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
All six houses we've lived in the past 10 years were $300-500K, which is right where your $400K house falls. (So I'm not sure what caused your snide comment about my "income bracket") I've discovered that houses comparable to what we have now, are almost double that in the SLC suburbs (92% higher according to an online comparison calculator). I don't want to spend that much on a house!!! I'm sorry if trying to explain that sounded snobby, offensive, or anything else negative.

As far as "many of my comments" being offensive, well, none were said with any malice. I do know my first post was written when I was feeling rather devastated by this sudden and unexpected "uprooting," but I found reason to be optimistic in this very thread of shellybug's observations. And I've continued to feel more encouraged, except for the unfavorable housing market. Oh well.

For now, I need to get back to cleaning my house, touching up paint nicks, power washing the sidewalk and patio, washing all the windows, spreading new mulch, replacing some dying shrubs, and everything else that needs done to sell this house. I suppose if I were in a higher "income bracket" I would just pay someone else to do those things for me, sigh.
Hey... olive branch here. I'm open to forgiving and forgetting if you are.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Hey... olive branch here. I'm open to forgiving and forgetting if you are.
Always. And thank you.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:40 PM

6,410 posts, read 3,770,320 times
Quote:

I do agree with your post to an extent. When we talk about the real estate market in SLC I think of it as a tale of two stories.

Anything $250k - $400kish it's like piranhas. $400k - $550k it slows down and $550k+ it's relatively dead market. The limiting factors are jobs, salary, and access to debt levels. I think the amount of people that qualify at the $400k+ level and then again at the $550k level thin out quickly.

Here is an example in Cottonwood in her budget that is highly desirable and I wouldn't consider sub-par. The issue is this house listed at $699k could have been had for $550k or less 18-24 months ago.

3214 E Fort Union Blvd, Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121 - realtor.com®

Here's a nice tudor in a great area within budget.

1024 S 1700 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84108 - realtor.com®

If your realtor can't find decent quality houses then I would suggest a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or