U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-16-2008, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
515 posts, read 1,475,317 times
Reputation: 281

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayzing View Post
Salt Lake City proper is around 50/50.... but remember... Salt Lake City proper is a relatively small gerrymandered area in Salt Lake Valley with a population of only 160,000 people... If you consider Salt Lake Valley (which includes most of the major suburbs and adjacent communities) and a population slightly over 1 million... you'd probably find something like 60-70% Mormon.

The state as a whole is around 62% Mormon... though some areas such as Orem, Provo, and other rural communities are closer to 90% Mormon.
If the state is only 62%, I would think Salt Lake valley would be well under the state average, since I believe most of the non-Mormons in the state live in and around Salt Lake, right? I know Moab is less Mormon as well, but it's not very big.

 
Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 PM
 
78 posts, read 362,948 times
Reputation: 39
Default I heard 60/40, too, but...

with the 40% of SLC being LDS.... I can't remember where I saw this, so looked up a couple articles in the Tribune:
This ones states that in a 2004 study 62.4% of the state in 2004 was LDS:
Mormon portion of Utah population steadily shrinking - Salt Lake Tribune

This one is from last month, stating that a new survey says the % is now down to 58% statewide:
Religion study: Fewer stick to family faiths; number of unaffiliated up - Salt Lake Tribune

Given that, with Salt Lake housing the most non-mormon population, the % of LDS would be lower than 50% (I would figure way lower if you figure it would have to balance out the higher % smaller areas of the state).
 
Old 03-20-2008, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
16,490 posts, read 31,389,235 times
Reputation: 12568
Even within SLC, certain neighborhoods have more of a mixture - near the Univeristy of Utah, Sugar House, the Avenues. Can also vary by happenstance, on blocks. My block has 2 households of lesbian couples, 5 single-Mom households (1 LDS), 3 single men households (not sure of LDS/not), 1 single lesbian household, and several married couples households (some LDS, some not). Pretty diverse to me!
 
Old 03-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Status: "Snow is coming for Christmas!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
70,129 posts, read 60,842,464 times
Reputation: 20221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger44 View Post
with the 40% of SLC being LDS.... I can't remember where I saw this, so looked up a couple articles in the Tribune:
This ones states that in a 2004 study 62.4% of the state in 2004 was LDS:
Mormon portion of Utah population steadily shrinking - Salt Lake Tribune

This one is from last month, stating that a new survey says the % is now down to 58% statewide:
Religion study: Fewer stick to family faiths; number of unaffiliated up - Salt Lake Tribune

Given that, with Salt Lake housing the most non-mormon population, the % of LDS would be lower than 50% (I would figure way lower if you figure it would have to balance out the higher % smaller areas of the state).
Not necessarily since there are a lot fewer people outstate. If 90% of a town of 1000 are Mormon, that's only 900 people, not a large contribution to the state's population, Mormon or otherwise. It wouldn't take many non-Mormons in SLC to offset them.
 
Old 03-22-2008, 12:00 PM
 
78 posts, read 362,948 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not necessarily since there are a lot fewer people outstate. If 90% of a town of 1000 are Mormon, that's only 900 people, not a large contribution to the state's population, Mormon or otherwise. It wouldn't take many non-Mormons in SLC to offset them.
I guess you'd have to look at the total population of the areas outside of the Salt Lake Metro as a whole to really consider this. The US Census estimates the 2006 population of Utah to be 2,550,063, with Salt Lake County having a population of 978,701. Salt Lake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I think the metro is more than this, but then based on the comments on here, those areas seem to be those further out from city center which = a higher LDS %? Anyway, even if the metro were more along the lines of 1.5 million, there's still 1 million people that live in those outlying, higher LDS % areas that need to be balanced out with the SLC % to get to 58%.

Just thinking out loud, I'm a numbers person, so I find this interesting...
 
Old 03-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Status: "Snow is coming for Christmas!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
70,129 posts, read 60,842,464 times
Reputation: 20221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger44 View Post
I guess you'd have to look at the total population of the areas outside of the Salt Lake Metro as a whole to really consider this. The US Census estimates the 2006 population of Utah to be 2,550,063, with Salt Lake County having a population of 978,701. Salt Lake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I think the metro is more than this, but then based on the comments on here, those areas seem to be those further out from city center which = a higher LDS %? Anyway, even if the metro were more along the lines of 1.5 million, there's still 1 million people that live in those outlying, higher LDS % areas that need to be balanced out with the SLC % to get to 58%.

Just thinking out loud, I'm a numbers person, so I find this interesting...
Per Wikipedia, the census bureau considers the SLC MSA to be Salt Lake, Summit and Tooele Counties. I can't do the math right now, my daughter and I are going Easter candy shopping! I like numbers, too!
 
Old 03-23-2008, 02:44 PM
 
78 posts, read 362,948 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Per Wikipedia, the census bureau considers the SLC MSA to be Salt Lake, Summit and Tooele Counties. I can't do the math right now, my daughter and I are going Easter candy shopping! I like numbers, too!
Happy Easter to you and your daughter! Hope you guys are enjoying the weather. My in-laws just called - they live in Colorado Springs, CO and they got 5" of snow yesterday, but it's supposed to be 69 degrees tomorrow. Wow!


Anyway, back on topic, if the MSA includes those 3 counties, here's their 2006 est pop. according to the census bureau's quickfacts:
Salt Lake County: 978,701
Summit County: 35,469
Tooele County: 53,552
SLC MSA Total: 1,067,772

So, given that, if the total population in Utah state is 2,550,063, the total population outside the MSA is 1,482,291.

58% of the entire population of Utah is LDS (2,550,063 x .58) = 1,479,037 (rounded up)

If, as the posters claim, the communities outside the Salt Lake MSA is 90% LDS, here's what that # looks like: 1,482,291 x .90 = 1,334,062

That would leave only 144,975 people to be LDS in the Salt Lake MSA (1,479,037 - 1,334,062 = 144,975). If we divide that # into the SLC MSA population (144,975 / 1,067,772) the % of LDS would only be 13.58%.

That doesn't look realistic, at least not to me. There's a few things we can do to adjust this. One thing to do is consider the % of LDS in communities outside of SLC to be exaggerated... if we lower this %, we'll see what that does to the #s.

If the % is lowered to 80% outside the Salt Lake MSA: 1,482,291 x .80 = 1,185,833.
Then Salt Lake MSA LDS pop. # would be 293,204 (1,479,037 - 1,185,833), which brings the Salt Lake MSA LDS % up to 27.46%.

If the % is lowered to 70% outside the Salt Lake MSA: 1,482,291 x .70 = 1,037,604.
Then the Salt Lake MSA LDS pop. # would be 441,433 (1,479,037 - 1,037,604), which brings the Salt Lake MSA LDS % up to 41.34%.

Recap:
IF (outside Salt Lake MSA LDS %), THEN:
90%, then Salt Lake MSA is 13.58% LDS
80%, then Salt Lake MSA is 27.46% LDS
70%, then Salt Lake MSA is 41.34% LDS



I could keep on going, but obviously there's some exaggeration going on regarding the % of LDS population either inside and/or outside the Salt Lake MSA.


The other thing would be to only consider the population of Salt Lake County (I can already hear people arguing that communities in the other 2 counties are higher in lds %). So for arguments' sake, if we do that, the population of people outside the SL County is 1,571,362. (I can stop giving the long math, now, right?)

IF (outside Salt Lake County LDS %), THEN:
90%, then Salt Lake County is 6.62% LDS
80%, then Salt Lake County is 22.68% LDS
70%, then Salt Lake County is 38.73 LDS



I'd do the math if we only consider the population of the city of Salt Lake itself, but I don't think that's realistic - just from the posts alone, people from out of state don't just move to within the city limits. Besides, when I attempted to do the math with the city of Salt Lake being 179,894 by that last census pop. est., the highest % that the communities outside of Salt Lake could be is 62%, which would make the Salt Lake LDS % 5.3%. I mention it only because I know if I don't, someone will bring up.

(Ok, this post is a little long, sorry. I'm an analyst, so it's easy for me to plug the #s into a spreadsheet and get the %s, so just went with it once I started... sorry so long)

Last edited by ginger44; 03-23-2008 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: added note
 
Old 03-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Status: "Snow is coming for Christmas!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
70,129 posts, read 60,842,464 times
Reputation: 20221
That was very interesting. Yes, BTW, we did get snow both Fri. and Sat. It was nice today, though. One question: we live near an LDS church and there didn't seem to be a ton of activity around there today. Is this not an important day in the LDS religion? Just curious.

PS: I'm glad someone understood what I was talking about.
 
Old 03-24-2008, 01:14 PM
 
78 posts, read 362,948 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That was very interesting. Yes, BTW, we did get snow both Fri. and Sat. It was nice today, though. One question: we live near an LDS church and there didn't seem to be a ton of activity around there today. Is this not an important day in the LDS religion? Just curious.

PS: I'm glad someone understood what I was talking about.
That's awesome you guys got snow, too! I miss the snow - hopefully we'll be moving soon and avoid another humid Florida summer!

I'm not sure why the LDS church near you didn't have a ton of activity, but it is a very important day in the religion. One reason (and my guess) may be that they had their church meetings at a stake center instead of their regular building. A stake center can hold many more people and is used in times when there is a special event, a guest speaker, etc.
 
Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 PM
 
1,646 posts, read 4,732,906 times
Reputation: 764
We had our usual service, but attendance was lighter than normal. However, that does not mean people didn’t go to church. To the contrary. Most people in my LDS ward are youngish, and have other relatives in Utah. I think they spent the weekend with their parents etc, and went to church with them. If you live in an area with lots of young families, I’d bet that’s the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top