U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 07:48 PM

165 posts, read 195,077 times

Advertisements

There have been comments from some of us newcomers about the vegan / vegetarian friendly restaurant environment in the SLC area. I wanted to share some of our favorites and hope that others will add to this list. It is not meant to be vegan-only options (though there are several). Please add your favorites if you are / or eat out with a vegan / vegetarian. I tried to keep away from reviews as there are many better sources for these.

Zest - 275 South 200 West (downtown) - 100% vegan menu.
Mazza - 9th & 9th with a second location @ 15th& 15th. Lebanese / Middle Eastern with several options
Cedars of Lebanon - 152 East 200 South (downtown). Lebanese
Oh Mai Vietnamese - 3425 S. State St.
Pho Tay Ho - 1766 S. Main St. - Vietnamese
Rawtopia - vegan and raw food. This restaurant is in the process of moving from Sugarhouse to Olympic Cove and is expected to reopen in August.
Star of India - 1659 W. North Temple (inside Ramada Inn). We have not eaten here since they moved from downtown but their food was consistently good and hopefully hasn't changed.
Kathmandu - 3142 S. Highland Drive. We only dined at a second location on 7th East but just learned that this location is closed. Good Nepalese and Indian fare.

There are many restaurants that may not have vegan options on the menu but most proprietors 'get it' here. The nicer the restaurant the more likely you will get a great meal - especially if you give the chef free reign. For example Cafe Niche (779 East 300 South) will make a nice vegan meal on request though it's not on the menu. Another example is Bambara's (202 S. Main St. downtown in Hotel Monaco).

Two other vegan-only options are the Vertical Diner (once was enough) and Sage Cafe (which we believe was better before they moved to a larger building on the west side).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 12:06 AM

6,628 posts, read 4,032,255 times
Ole falefel is yummy.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:54 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,482,329 times
Bud's Sandwich Company is completely vegan: 509 East 300 South, SLC

Old 07-14-2017, 01:29 AM

199 posts, read 208,002 times
Oh, I love Bud's! Here are some of my favorites I have tried since living in Salt Lake City:

Bombay House: 2731 E Parleys Way, SLC 84109
*Vegan items are marked with a "V". Everything is amazingly delicious and not greasy, which is a plus!

Frisch Compassionate Eatery: 145 E 1330 S, SLC
*All vegan. All that really needs to be said is that they have homemade vegan Twinkies

City Cakes & Cafe: 1000 Main St., SLC
*All vegan. The sausage, cheese, and potato burrito is incredible and they have award-winning Mac-N-Cheez

Mi Ranchito Grille: 3600 S State St., SLC
*All vegan menu every day and a vegan Mexican buffet on Friday nights. Every single thing is delicious without compromising
the authentic (non-processed) Mexican dishes

Trolley Wing Co.: 2148 S 900 E, SLC
*Vegan and vegetarian buffalo wings (wings for meat-eaters as well). They also offer vegan ranch dressing and have fantastic
waffle fries

Dick's Drive-In: 235 Center St, Kamas
*I was very surprised to find a delicious veggie burger on their menu when stopping after a long hiking day in the Wasatch
National Forest

Blue Plate Diner: 2041 S 2100 E, SLC
*Vegan options are marked. They have delicious vegan pancakes

All Chay: 1264 500 N, SLC
*All vegan Vietnamese food. It is ridiculously delicious!

Passion Flour Patisserie: 165 900 S, SLC
*Vegan tofu benedict is fantastic

Uhm...yeah...so I guess my family and I have eaten out quite a bit since being in SLC. The vegan/vegetarian food is just so delicious and there are SO many options!

Just a side note, having come from Florida...if you are ever in Orlando, you MUST try Ethos Vegan Kitchen!

Hands down, however, Salt Lake City even outdoes New York City in terms of vegan/vegetarian options and how convenient it is to live a plant-based lifestyle here! Thanks Salt Lake!

Old 07-14-2017, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_scott View Post
The nicer the restaurant the more likely you will get a great meal - especially if you give the chef free reign. For example Cafe Niche (779 East 300 South) will make a nice vegan meal on request though it's not on the menu. Another example is Bambara's (202 S. Main St. downtown in Hotel Monaco).
Great idea! We went on a cruise last year and simply told the chef we were vegan and he made the most amazing dishes every night. I still dream of a sweet potato chowder he whipped up one evening!

Old 07-15-2017, 09:43 PM

165 posts, read 195,077 times
Thanks for all of these suggestions. Except for O'Felafel (which we both love) all of the others are new to us. Lots of new places to try - Thanks!

Slightly off topic - we have takes cruises with Viking and National Geographic (more of an expedition than cruise). In both cases the chefs went out of their way to make wonderful vegan meals for my wife - breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you are concerned about vegan meals on a cruise these companies get it too.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_scott View Post
Thanks for all of these suggestions. Except for O'Felafel (which we both love) all of the others are new to us. Lots of new places to try - Thanks!

Slightly off topic - we have takes cruises with Viking and National Geographic (more of an expedition than cruise). In both cases the chefs went out of their way to make wonderful vegan meals for my wife - breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you are concerned about vegan meals on a cruise these companies get it too.
National Geographic has a cruise line? An expedition sounds amazing! Good to know, thank you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area