U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:41 AM

828 posts, read 510,186 times

Advertisements

Has to be an error. we had a 5 bed when lived here and was over 3600 sft. Bills never got anywhere near that! I think highest we paid was about $150
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:31 AM

263 posts, read 634,290 times
Since we'll be moving to Utah, I'm interested to know how the OP made out with this.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,143,467 times
A typical AC unit is going to use about 3 kW/h. If I remember correctly Rocky Mountain Power costs about $0.10/kWh. This would mean it costs about 30 cents to run your AC for an entire hour. Running an AC 24 hours, for 30 days a week would cost about $216. That would pretty much be the worst case scenario for AC energy use, assuming it's running every day, all day, including at 4AM and during overcast/rainy days. Realistically you should expect to spend about half that on AC during an especially hot July, and even less if you set the thermostat at 78ish.

Throw in regular household appliance use of 300-1500 kWh per month ($30-150) and you should expect a July electricity bill somewhere in the range of $120-$250 a month, with EXTREMELY high residential bills being unable to exceed the $400 range, and less (~$70-80) if you run a swamp cooler or keep your thermostat around 78-80. The $700 or whatever that RMP tried to say you owed was not right. Their hookup fee is only like $25 or something reasonable like that.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:51 AM

170 posts, read 117,615 times
Thank you very much for the feedback, everyone! The information definitely gave me a leg to stand on once I started expressing my concern.

I have been speaking with a very kind RMP rep over the last couple of days. We shut of the AC and checked the meter and we used 1 kWh over a 7-hour period, so the electricity hog is indeed the AC unit. The RMP rep said that the highest bills in the complex seem to be running about $300, so there is definitely an issue. Our next bill is on track to be $900!!! Imagine such a thing!

The apartment complex is sending an independent electrician to look at the unit. I suppose my final questions is: If there is something wrong with the unit (or even if there is not), am I just stuck paying this ridiculous bill. Is it too ambitious for me to insist that the complex at least incur half the charges? I feel like I likely have no recourse, but it can't hurt to ask here on the forum to see if anyone has any experience in this regard. After incurring substantial cross-country moving costs, paying $1600 for 60 days of electricity will be the death of our budget.

Feeling a bit discouraged, honestly.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:13 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,143,467 times
That's insane, I know Utah has had an especially hot and dry summer this year, but I really can't believe an AC is costing $900 to run. If we assume you use about 250 kWh ($25) to run all your lights/fridge/electronics/etc. for the month, plus the $10-15 connection charges, then you're talking about $860 to run an AC unit for an apartment? 8,600 kWh? 8.6 MWh?!? That's an AC that's using about 12 Kilowatts per hour. No way. And that's assuming it's running 24 hours, which I can't imagine it is. Most ACs run no more than 8 hours (off and on) per day. That's more like the power consumption of a large commercial sized AC being used to cool 15,000 square feet. Assuming you're in a 1,200 square foot apartment or so that's just not reasonable unless you're keeping the temperature below freezing in there.

You need to run these numbers by the electric company. If I had to guess there's something screwy going on with the meter. I know I'm out of state, but here we have two meters, one for AC and one for everything else. Do they use two meters at your complex? Is it possible the AC meter is busted? Can a RMP tech check it our or have they already?

If your AC is legitimately pulling 12 kW per hour you need to let your apartment manager know how unreasonable that is and basically tell them that you're not paying all of it and expect them to take responsibility for their faulty equipment, and that you'll be packing up and leaving ASAP if they don't treat you more reasonably. If they point out the contract or whatever say they've not provided a safe living space because you have a non-functioning AC that pulls so much electricity you're worried it's going to explode.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:15 PM

Thanks Geo-Aggie! All great points. A tech did not come to the meter physically. She had me go look at the meter and record the numbers before and after I turned off the AC.

I have so many issues with this apartment. We rented in Florida for the last six years and we maybe called the landlord twice for issues. We are very easy tenants; but, this place is a mess. First, the entire apartment smelled like a BBQ grill upon our arrival. They ozoned the apartment. Great! Second, they asked us if we wanted wood floors, and that they would be $50 extra each month. We enthusiastically agreed, only to arrive in Salt Lake to linoleum "wood" floors. They are beautiful and that is all well-and-good, but for $50 per month? No way! Then, the AC broke and they "fixed" it. Next, the toilets began to clog for no reason. Now, this AC issue. Finally, last night the shower upstairs began to leak through the cabinet over the refrigerator in the kitchen downstairs! And I get all of this for the lovely price of $1600 per month for a 2 bed/1 bath.

I've never experience so many issues at such an expensive rate in all of my years of renting and owning! We signed an 80-page lease that I am combing through now, but it is very unlikely they will relinquish our deposit either way.

As I mentioned, I'm feeling a bit discouraged. Hopefully, we can determine if the meter is broken or the AC unit and someone will take responsibility and not stick us with these insane bills. Okay...gripe session over. Thank you for tolerating my mess!

Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM

19,468 posts, read 18,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybug View Post
Thanks Geo-Aggie! All great points. A tech did not come to the meter physically. She had me go look at the meter and record the numbers before and after I turned off the AC.

I have so many issues with this apartment. We rented in Florida for the last six years and we maybe called the landlord twice for issues. We are very easy tenants; but, this place is a mess. First, the entire apartment smelled like a BBQ grill upon our arrival. They ozoned the apartment. Great! Second, they asked us if we wanted wood floors, and that they would be $50 extra each month. We enthusiastically agreed, only to arrive in Salt Lake to linoleum "wood" floors. They are beautiful and that is all well-and-good, but for $50 per month? No way! Then, the AC broke and they "fixed" it. Next, the toilets began to clog for no reason. Now, this AC issue. Finally, last night the shower upstairs began to leak through the cabinet over the refrigerator in the kitchen downstairs! And I get all of this for the lovely price of $1600 per month for a 2 bed/1 bath.

I've never experience so many issues at such an expensive rate in all of my years of renting and owning! We signed an 80-page lease that I am combing through now, but it is very unlikely they will relinquish our deposit either way.

As I mentioned, I'm feeling a bit discouraged. Hopefully, we can determine if the meter is broken or the AC unit and someone will take responsibility and not stick us with these insane bills. Okay...gripe session over. Thank you for tolerating my mess!
Hi, Shellybug. I would be livid by now if I were you, and I think everybody else probably feels the same way. Before you even posted this last post, I was thinking that if your landlord wouldn't assume the cost of the outrageous electric bill you got, and regardless of what your 80-page lease says, I would most definitely threaten to call the Better Business Bureau (and then do it). I have had better luck with that threat than you can imagine, as nobody wants to get a bad rating with them. I noticed on the BBB website, that the Foothill Place Apartments are not accredited (maybe apartments generally aren't) but you can still submit a scathing review.

When you are able to get out of the lease, I'd suggest you take a look at Pinnacle Highland in Cottonwood Heights. I feel so bad for you. You don't deserve this crap.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hi, Shellybug. I would be livid by now if I were you, and I think everybody else probably feels the same way. Before you even posted this last post, I was thinking that if your landlord wouldn't assume the cost of the outrageous electric bill you got, and regardless of what your 80-page lease says, I would most definitely threaten to call the Better Business Bureau (and then do it). I have had better luck with that threat than you can imagine, as nobody wants to get a bad rating with them. I noticed on the BBB website, that the Foothill Place Apartments are not accredited (maybe apartments generally aren't) but you can still submit a scathing review.

When you are able to get out of the lease, I'd suggest you take a look at Pinnacle Highland in Cottonwood Heights. I feel so bad for you. You don't deserve this crap.

Thank you so much, Katzpur! I needed that vote of confidence that I was not being unreasonable. I often feel bad for complaining, but I think our experience is beyond simple complaints.

I'm hoping that management will do the right thing. If they don't, I will definitely use the BBB if they try to force the entirely of the bill on us. I really like Cottonwood Heights, so I will look into those as soon as we can. I was wondering if I have any negotiating room to terminate the lease early based on the misrepresentations of the unit. We thought about consulting with someone to get some legal advice regarding our lease if the issues cannot be resolved.

As always...thank you, thank you, thank you.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 PM

19,468 posts, read 18,675,571 times
Just one more example for comparison purposes. We are set up on Rocky Mountain Power's Equal Pay Plan, so our payment is the same year round. Our house is not large -- maybe about 2000 square feet on one level and a basement of the same size. We also have landscape lighting, which comes on every evening and stays on till 11:00 P.M., and a water feature in our backyard that runs days and night. It doesn't use a ton on electricity, but it does use some. Plus we are not all that careful about trying to conserve on our air-conditioning. If it's hot, the air-conditioner is on. We're constantly getting little reminders from Rocky Mountain Power saying that we use a lot more electricity than do the rest of our neighbors. Our monthly payment is $118.00.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:11 PM

Good to know, Katzpur! I'm sure this will come as an unbelievable surprise, but the AC unit stopped working again about an hour ago! I'm going to pull my hair out if they don't replace this dinosaur!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: