U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:13 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,939,086 times

Advertisements

Just in regards to the toilets clogging - it may be best to use Scott 1-ply toilet paper. I went to 1-ply when my toilets started clogging - it was old clay pipes that had settled that was causing the thicker toilet paper to clog up. I first tried Northern, or something like that, but their 1-ply is crazy strong and was still clogging up the pipes. Scott has done well.

As to the lease - if you're in Foothill Place Apts., then the lease may be iron-clad. The lawyer who writes them is a real PITA, and is known to the local housing board (or whatever the government entity is called).

The AC bill sounds ridiculous. When I lived at Foothill Place, my electric bill was never more than $150 - I think it was more like $110 in the worst months. If you want to get Foothill Place to pay some of the bill, you may need absolute proof that something was defective about the AC unit itself. If it was the meter, your best recourse would be to get Rocky Mountain Power to negotiate down the bill. Actually, best recourse would probably be Rocky Mountain Power, because I think Foothill will be a little difficult to deal with.

When I lived there, I thankfully only had to call a couple times for maintenance (I lived there for five years). Your situation sounds really sucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 04:25 PM

19,468 posts, read 18,680,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
If you want to get Foothill Place to pay some of the bill, you may need absolute proof that something was defective about the AC unit itself. If it was the meter, your best recourse would be to get Rocky Mountain Power to negotiate down the bill. Actually, best recourse would probably be Rocky Mountain Power, because I think Foothill will be a little difficult to deal with.
I'm thinking that it might actually be "provable" that the OP hasn't used as much electricity as the bill is stating she has. I mean you can only have an air-conditioner running a certain number of hours a day, and it's only possible to set it to reduce the heat so much. How could the power company possibly argue that they're using the air-conditioner 150 hours a day and have it set for a temperature of 10 degrees? How could Foothill Place make an accusation like that? Not that this is what anyone has actually said, but it might as well be. If her bill had been for $275 or something like that, I can see where they could say, "Sorry, but you're just going to have to cut down on your electricity usage." But $740? That's so obviously an error and beyond the renter's control.

I think we all need to form a posse and march over to Foothill Place and/or Utah Power in protest. This is one of the most outrageous things I've ever read on City-Data.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:51 PM

4,897 posts, read 13,202,683 times
Anything helpful in here?

Old 09-08-2017, 11:31 PM

170 posts, read 117,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Anything helpful in here?
What are you looking for? Maybe we can help.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:35 PM

Glad to report that the apartment complex covered $800 worth of of $1500 bills (for two months of service).

Since then our upstairs shower leaked into our downstairs kitchen which resulted in a large hole for three days; and now our AC is leaking into the walls behind the paint causing large bulges of water-filled paint to protrude from the wall. It looks likes a scene from Amityville Horror. It's been 12 weeks since we moved in. Good times !

Old 09-09-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybug View Post
Glad to report that the apartment complex covered $800 worth of of $1500 bills (for two months of service).

Since then our upstairs shower leaked into our downstairs kitchen which resulted in a large hole for three days; and now our AC is leaking into the walls behind the paint causing large bulges of water-filled paint to protrude from the wall. It looks likes a scene from Amityville Horror. It's been 12 weeks since we moved in. Good times !
How soon can you get out?

Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
How soon can you get out?
I would love for it to be ASAP, Katzpur. We may need to seek out some legal advice, however, in regard to our lease in order to make that happen. Not really sure yet.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM

7,892 posts, read 8,585,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybug View Post
I would love for it to be ASAP, Katzpur. We may need to seek out some legal advice, however, in regard to our lease in order to make that happen. Not really sure yet.
You really should let others know where this is. Help other transplants learn from your horrifying experience. Oh well at least you can enjoy some cheap but quality adult beverage from Costco while you sort this out. Oh wait...

Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 PM

40 posts, read 21,223 times
Lease: I have found in today's social media age, some well worded comments on Facebook pages, BBB website, etc. can go a long way.

If you read an online review and the person sounds like a crazy person with no grasp of punctuation, you usually discount it - and companies know this. However, when you read something that sounds like it was written by a perfectly reasonable person who is being victimized by a big, bad company -- it holds weight. Companies don't like having that out there.

Google reviews, etc. can be very powerful. I've had more than one occasion where a company tried to disregard a promise or otherwise screw me over only to do everything they'd first promised as soon as my online reviews made an appearance.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lraien View Post
Lease: I have found in today's social media age, some well worded comments on Facebook pages, BBB website, etc. can go a long way.

If you read an online review and the person sounds like a crazy person with no grasp of punctuation, you usually discount it - and companies know this. However, when you read something that sounds like it was written by a perfectly reasonable person who is being victimized by a big, bad company -- it holds weight. Companies don't like having that out there.

Google reviews, etc. can be very powerful. I've had more than one occasion where a company tried to disregard a promise or otherwise screw me over only to do everything they'd first promised as soon as my online reviews made an appearance.
I have found that even a threat to contact the Better Business Bureau works wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: