Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 05:20 PM

13 posts, read 37,192 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am from Michigan, and the job market here is DEAD. I graduated last summer from Wayne State (the university here in Detroit) with a Bachelors of Science in Information Systems. I worked contract at Ford for 5 years as a CAD Designer. I got laid off from there a few years ago. That led me to get my Bachelors Degree. The automotive industry is dead; I don’t want any part of it anymore.

I’m thinking of moving to the Salt Lake City area. I have family there. What is the job market like there? I’m looking to get into something in the IT field or Logistics, because I did work at UPS before I was at Ford. I don’t have any real IT experience except for classroom experience. What are the chances for a person with my degree to find something there? I would appreciate your input. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 PM

61 posts, read 318,675 times
honestly from someone that has lived in Utah all of his life, and have spent the last while looking for opportunities outside of Utah. The job market here compared to everywhere else it seems is great. In money 08 survey of the greatest places to live nearby Tooele county has the best job growth for 2007, (which is honestly hard to belive t ome but apparently true) My family and I have looked for work somewhere else for no other reason but to try something other than Utah for a change, and the fact is, we can make a better living here right now. i dont imagine you having much of a hard time finding work.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:18 AM

119 posts, read 834,906 times
Default low paying

Low paying

Old 03-14-2008, 09:29 AM

111 posts, read 625,834 times
My dh left an amazing job in Los Angeles to work for a high tech start up in American Fork. According to him, he says the labor market is tight for IT - meaning it's hard to find good people...the pay is pretty decent too (at least at his company). I don't think you'll have a problem finding work.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:42 PM

13 posts, read 37,192 times
I hear all the jobs are going West. That may be the place to be. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:48 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
About 41,000 Utahns currently are considered unemployed, compared to around 33,000 in February 2007. According to Economists, part of this increase could be due to the construction slow down.

Utah's doing well compared to the rest of the nation in adding new jobs.

Read more here.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 16,362 times
The Salt Lake maket is incredible. We have one of the lowest employment rates in the nation. We are also growing faster than almost any other state in the country. On top of that it is just a fun place to live. Hope this helps a little!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 18,339 times
Default SLC top in jobs

In a recent Forbes magazine article Salt Lake City was ranked as the #1 top city for employment opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area