Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:56 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times

Advertisements

One thing to remember once you are here: Most people will put snow tires on their vehicles during the winter months. Some people will make do with all-weather mud+snow rated tires year round. At any rate, once it gets cold, don't forget to do this. The winter tires help even if there is no snow on the ground, as the rubber compound is designed to provide added traction in the cold.

Many people have snowblowers as well. Some others have a service. Still others hire a neighborhood teenager with a shovel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 02:47 AM

914 posts, read 972,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
One thing to remember once you are here: Most people will put snow tires on their vehicles during the winter months. Some people will make do with all-weather mud+snow rated tires year round. At any rate, once it gets cold, don't forget to do this. The winter tires help even if there is no snow on the ground, as the rubber compound is designed to provide added traction in the cold.

Many people have snowblowers as well. Some others have a service. Still others hire a neighborhood teenager with a shovel.
Or a kind neighbour that does it for you !

Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM

186 posts, read 604,074 times
For Sandy I would look at the Willow Creek area, near Quail Hollow/Albion/Brookwood schools. Excellent schools (walking distance), good houses, lots etc. You're close to Willow Creek Country Club (social membership or golf) which might get you some more social involvement, and have two shopping centers nearby.

Suncrest is too windy, all the time, 100% of days. The houses are good there, but too far IMHO, unless you work in Draper/Provo etc.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:15 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
You don't want to commute down Suncrest in the winter ....

How many kids/bedrooms?

We live @11700 South 11th east and there's a couple houses for sale - mostly in the @400K range.

Close to Alta High, Sprucewood Elementary and Indian Hills Middle School.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 11,392 times
We have 2 youngsters and I'll need an office, and an extra room for guest. so looking at 4 bedrooms and an office area. i'll check out those areas mentioned. I can live in any areas for my work since i have a sales territory. And yes, that drive down Suncrest seems like it would be brutal in a snowstorm.

Thanks for the tips on the tires. I'll definitely be changing them out for the move.

Cheers

Old 08-29-2017, 01:05 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeylife View Post

Thanks for the tips on the tires. I'll definitely be changing them out for the move.

Cheers
Another thing I thought I would mention:

Snow tires and 4x4 vehicles "help you go." They do not "help you stop" (at least not so much). Distance is your friend: when it is snowy or icy, leave LOTS of space in front of you when you drive just in case you put your foot on the brake and the vehicle doesn't seem to slow down the way you would expect it to in the summer.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:02 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
What kind of tires you need just depends on where you drive. I've always had all-season tires on my car, and I've lived here for over a decade. I live and work in SLC, and I drive out to the Fort Union shopping area a lot, as well as around the suburbs. They're really good about clearing the roads and keeping them clear. I have a lot of family who live in SLC and the suburbs, and most use all-season tires year round as well.

Again, it just depends on where you drive. Regardless of what type of tire you have, it is a good idea to always keep your tires in good condition and to practice safe driving, especially during inclement weather.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:49 AM

49 posts, read 102,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Another thing I thought I would mention:

Snow tires and 4x4 vehicles "help you go." They do not "help you stop" (at least not so much). Distance is your friend: when it is snowy or icy, leave LOTS of space in front of you when you drive just in case you put your foot on the brake and the vehicle doesn't seem to slow down the way you would expect it to in the summer.
This - 100%. I notice that at least 80% of the time, the vehicle with the flashers going stuck up in the snow on the side of the freeway, is an SUV. I think many of their driver's don't really understand what 4x4 is intended for. They barrel down the highway thinking they are invincible and they end up swerved into a snow bank when they can't stop and have to avoid ramming into a car.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:52 PM

914 posts, read 972,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lraien View Post
This - 100%. I notice that at least 80% of the time, the vehicle with the flashers going stuck up in the snow on the side of the freeway, is an SUV. I think many of their driver's don't really understand what 4x4 is intended for. They barrel down the highway thinking they are invincible and they end up swerved into a snow bank when they can't stop and have to avoid ramming into a car.

Thats Utah drivers, summer or winter lol !

Old 09-04-2017, 04:57 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
Thats Utah drivers, summer or winter lol !
Really, nowhere else ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area