Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:36 PM

66 posts, read 75,811 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

A while back I came here for a lot of advice on moving to SLC. My husband and I planned a trip back in March and I wanted to write a little bit about our experience.

We are a young non LDS interracial couple from Southern California, and we felt completely at home in DT SLC. We went to a few bars that served great drinks and food. Our bartenders/servers were extremely pleasant and quick to answer all questions about the city life. We talked to as many people as we could while dining, and found everyone to be friendly and easy going. In fact, most were transplants from the east and west coast!

We even went to a non-denominational christian church and found that even the pastor was from California! What an awesome experience there. We talked about job hunts and housing, and were pleased to find people in our careers get paid very fairly with no issues finding work.
Our time around the city was great, we toured the aviary, went on a few hikes, and strolled the neighborhoods where we would be living. We went for a few apartment tours and even chose the complex we plan to rent in. We went to grocery stores, gas stations, and talked to people walking by us. We were truly, honestly amazed at how fit and cheerful people were. Where we come from, NO ONE makes eye contact, let alone helps you with a smile!

We toured DT SLC, Cottonwood Heights, Murray, Sugar House, Sandy, and a little bit of St. George on our way in and out of Utah. The only place we felt very out of place was St. George, boy we got quite a few stares! It was honestly funny, because no one was mean. They just stared! We smiled back

Overall, we are excited to move to Cottonwood Heights, we found it closest to the mountains and places we will frequent most often, and it is close to shopping and amenities. We are thrilled that even our little 6 day trip turned into one of the best vacations I have ever had. Look out SLC, here we come!

Old 08-21-2017, 08:29 PM

52 posts, read 47,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidneyGee View Post
Hello Everyone,

A while back I came here for a lot of advice on moving to SLC. My husband and I planned a trip back in March and I wanted to write a little bit about our experience.

We are a young non LDS interracial couple from Southern California, and we felt completely at home in DT SLC. We went to a few bars that served great drinks and food. Our bartenders/servers were extremely pleasant and quick to answer all questions about the city life. We talked to as many people as we could while dining, and found everyone to be friendly and easy going. In fact, most were transplants from the east and west coast!

We even went to a non-denominational christian church and found that even the pastor was from California! What an awesome experience there. We talked about job hunts and housing, and were pleased to find people in our careers get paid very fairly with no issues finding work.
Our time around the city was great, we toured the aviary, went on a few hikes, and strolled the neighborhoods where we would be living. We went for a few apartment tours and even chose the complex we plan to rent in. We went to grocery stores, gas stations, and talked to people walking by us. We were truly, honestly amazed at how fit and cheerful people were. Where we come from, NO ONE makes eye contact, let alone helps you with a smile!

We toured DT SLC, Cottonwood Heights, Murray, Sugar House, Sandy, and a little bit of St. George on our way in and out of Utah. The only place we felt very out of place was St. George, boy we got quite a few stares! It was honestly funny, because no one was mean. They just stared! We smiled back

Overall, we are excited to move to Cottonwood Heights, we found it closest to the mountains and places we will frequent most often, and it is close to shopping and amenities. We are thrilled that even our little 6 day trip turned into one of the best vacations I have ever had. Look out SLC, here we come!
You will love it in SLC, my wife and I lived there about twelve years ago and then we moved to where we are now, Southern California, and we are now really wanting to move back to SLC.
SLC and Utah in general is great, lots of things to see and do and coming from Southern California you'll find it much more affordable and cost friendly however it is getting more expensive to live there than it was in the past.
As soon as I can secure decent employment there my wife and I will waste no time in getting back! We lived in sugar house when we were there but would love to live in cottonwood heights.
I was really hoping to be there for the summer/fall transition, it's my favorite time of the year and really nice in SLC, but don't know if it's in the cards or not.

R

Old 08-21-2017, 08:38 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidneyGee View Post
I'm so happy to see that you're going to be able to move here. I'm a native Salt Laker and my husband and I have lived in Cottonwood Heights for 35 years (yeah, we're old ). It's a great place to move and to raise a family. Where in Cottonwood Heights are you going to be moving?

Also (I know I'm going to feel really stupid when you answer my question), but I can't think of what you mean by DT. What does it stand for?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Also (I know I'm going to feel really stupid when you answer my question), but I can't think of what you mean by DT. What does it stand for?
DT often means downtown.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
DT often means downtown.
Duh.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 PM

914 posts, read 973,280 times
You will love cottonwood heights, wished we had moved there.Hubby staying on for a bit and his place is between there and murray. we stayed there this last month and was great.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:05 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
What people are slow to realize - SLC/Sandy/Cottonwood Heights, et al....are simply suburbs of California....

I've seen more California plates on cars in the last year or so.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:19 AM

52 posts, read 47,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
What people are slow to realize - SLC/Sandy/Cottonwood Heights, et al....are simply suburbs of California....

I've seen more California plates on cars in the last year or so.
and if I have my say, soon I'll be adding my California plates to the lineup...

Last edited by Rbhzr; 08-25-2017 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-25-2017, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 10,714 times
Moderator cut: not allowed, read TOS

My wife and I are an interracial couple, I'm Caribbean and she is from Draper. We love to party, we love to travel, and reading your description is exactly why I would love to help you! We met in college at Southern Utah University in Cedar City, literally St George we would visit all the time (except you cant get liquor in St George just beer, so boo,) I'm 27 my wife is 23 so we just enjoy the hikes all around Millcreek. My in-laws live in Sandy, so there is a little hike called Little Cottonwood.

Sounds like you have made a decision to really move into town!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-27-2017 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 02:10 PM

66 posts, read 75,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm so happy to see that you're going to be able to move here. I'm a native Salt Laker and my husband and I have lived in Cottonwood Heights for 35 years (yeah, we're old ). It's a great place to move and to raise a family. Where in Cottonwood Heights are you going to be moving?

We are starting out in an apartment complex, from what we have been told it is one of the nicer ones. We toured the floor plans and got a great sense the area. I think for the price, amenities, and area we will be very happy (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area