U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:11 PM

37 posts, read 17,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhzr View Post
and if I have my say, soon I'll be adding my California plates to the lineup...
I kinda don't want to get rid of my plates because they are the CA vintage plates and I love my "vanity" name haha.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:34 PM

4,799 posts, read 9,566,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidneyGee View Post
I kinda don't want to get rid of my plates because they are the CA vintage plates and I love my "vanity" name haha.
What you *want* to do is not of any value because what you *need* to do is license your car in Utah as soon as you settle, have job and within a certain time limit ...

You can *keep* your plate as a *souvenir* and mount it in your garage ?

I have an out of state, or rather an out of country, license plate for one of cars, and I put that on my trailer , which really does not need a plate !

Old 08-27-2017, 05:17 PM

37 posts, read 17,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
What you *want* to do is not of any value because what you *need* to do is license your car in Utah as soon as you settle, have job and within a certain time limit ...

You can *keep* your plate as a *souvenir* and mount it in your garage ?

I have an out of state, or rather an out of country, license plate for one of cars, and I put that on my trailer , which really does not need a plate !
Haha, yes I know. I would like to keep it, but having to pay the yearly fee from the DMV would not be worth it. I will just have to assimilate!

Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 AM

19,468 posts, read 18,675,571 times
Quote:
Haha, yes I know. I would like to keep it, but having to pay the yearly fee from the DMV would not be worth it. I will just have to assimilate!
Well, change to a new vanity plate at least. If you see anybody driving around with plates that say, "Katzpur," be sure to wave.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:28 PM

170 posts, read 117,615 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

A while back I came here for a lot of advice on moving to SLC. My husband and I planned a trip back in March and I wanted to write a little bit about our experience.

We are a young non LDS interracial couple from Southern California, and we felt completely at home in DT SLC. We went to a few bars that served great drinks and food. Our bartenders/servers were extremely pleasant and quick to answer all questions about the city life. We talked to as many people as we could while dining, and found everyone to be friendly and easy going. In fact, most were transplants from the east and west coast!

We even went to a non-denominational christian church and found that even the pastor was from California! What an awesome experience there. We talked about job hunts and housing, and were pleased to find people in our careers get paid very fairly with no issues finding work.
Our time around the city was great, we toured the aviary, went on a few hikes, and strolled the neighborhoods where we would be living. We went for a few apartment tours and even chose the complex we plan to rent in. We went to grocery stores, gas stations, and talked to people walking by us. We were truly, honestly amazed at how fit and cheerful people were. Where we come from, NO ONE makes eye contact, let alone helps you with a smile!

We toured DT SLC, Cottonwood Heights, Murray, Sugar House, Sandy, and a little bit of St. George on our way in and out of Utah. The only place we felt very out of place was St. George, boy we got quite a few stares! It was honestly funny, because no one was mean. They just stared! We smiled back

Overall, we are excited to move to Cottonwood Heights, we found it closest to the mountains and places we will frequent most often, and it is close to shopping and amenities. We are thrilled that even our little 6 day trip turned into one of the best vacations I have ever had. Look out SLC, here we come!
We moved from Florida 12 weeks ago and are so happy we made the move! It really is a wonderful place and it reveals itself with all of its hidden character more as time goes on. Best of luck in your move!

Old 09-12-2017, 01:28 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,710,718 times
Congrats OP! I grew up in the Olympus Hills area along the east bench, a long, long time ago. It was an amazing place then and has only gotten better with time. I've been back to visit many times for both business and pleasure. I still love the area. FWIW, I'm white and my wife is Korean. We've never encountered anything but western hospitality and genuine friendliness in Salt Lake. If we weren't comfortably settled in our current location (Colorado Springs), I'd consider moving back in a heartbeat.

Great choice! Enjoy yourselves and your Utah experience. I have a feeling you'll find it being one of the best decisions you've ever made.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:55 PM

69 posts, read 31,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
What people are slow to realize - SLC/Sandy/Cottonwood Heights, et al....are simply suburbs of California....

I've seen more California plates on cars in the last year or so.

The entire Wasatch Front is unfortunately now another California suburb.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:29 PM

22 posts, read 7,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
The entire Wasatch Front is unfortunately now another California suburb.
Yeah, damn people going and moving to other states and such, almost like itís a free country! Damn them!

Old 09-22-2017, 03:24 PM

2,085 posts, read 4,361,026 times
Oh goodie. Maybe I'll be fortunate to run into one of the classic loaded Californians coming here with boatloads of cash from the sale of their home there in Cali wanting to buy a nice expensive home here. Then I can better afford my move OUT of this place. Plan on nice fat taxes to help pay for the burgeoning school systems needs that never end (a nice new school bond announced on the news yesterday for many millions), oh and if you like a newer vehicle to own, plan on the nice fat Utah tax on your vehicle that comes each and every year to renew your tags. Like easily several hundred dollars. Just tip of the iceberg. If you think it's so cheap to live here you are either making tons from a nice paying job or have a fat bank account with no significant end. Enjoy.......just come with an open check book

Old 09-23-2017, 11:18 AM

2,085 posts, read 4,361,026 times
LOL well it hasn't been "years" since I've discussed any kind of plan. Just never had the actual financial plan in place to make it happen. Obviously you are one of those Cali folks who will join your counterparts re designing the makeup of the city. No surprises there. You can have it your work is already done. Gay mayor and Gay pride day, increases of your beloved gangs and drug wars. Believe me if my plan can finally get executed you'll be more in your element and I more in mine no doubt. It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area