Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 05:48 PM

36 posts, read 42,110 times

Advertisements

This is sort of a "what is wrong with people" question too.

I have a plastic gas can I used as a backup on a road trip, and even though it was in the trunk, it stunk up the car, and after using it, there was some leftover in the bottom that won't come out due to the shape of the can and angle the nozzle allows it to be poured (it's impossible to get it all out into the gas tank without another funnel which I didn't care to try), so instead of dumping maybe the few tablespoons' full worth left in my parking space or somewhere else in the complex or my own home (it still stunk up the car even with that little in it), when I went to the gas station to fill the rest of my tank, I asked the attendant if they had a place I could dump the excess gas in my can that I couldn't put in my tank easily.

He froze and his head lowered and he gave me this strange look like I was about to pull a knife on him or something, and slowly says "no, we don't have that here" (I think his freezing was more just me asking a question outside of his normal range of robotic attendant procedures), and I said "well what do you do if there's a spill, don't you have something you put on it to prevent it from being flammable?", and he squints and starts talking like he's talking to a mentally deficient 12-year-old and says almost angrily "well I just put kitty litter on it".

I was a little stunned by this answer (who knows if that's good enough), but I smirked and thought "well why didn't you just say that to begin with?" but to not be rude I just said "ok, well there's something" and picked up the coffee can I'd already put on the counter that he didn't notice and placed it further forward so he could actually acknowledge I was a customer and not a freakin' terrorist.

He seemed to lighten up when he realized he already had the answer and I just wanted to buy a coffee too, but I just don't get his bizarre answer or reaction... acting like it's abnormal for a gas station to have a place to empty excess (or old for that matter) gas... where do gas station attendants think is a better place? I also don't get his seemingly paranoid reaction to me asking, he looked like he was bracing himself for a berating or something and just didn't want to have anything to do with it.

Anyways, it wasn't the only bizarre person I saw in those few minutes, some normal-looking lady at the counter just stared and started scowling when she saw me walking up in my horrifying baseball cap and glasses and T-shirt and shorts and sandals... I like to think it's just Salt Lake City herd schizophrenia, but there's a lot of weird behavior where people act like it's normalized, so I'm not sure if all this weird paranoid behavior is just beaten into us by TV and talk show hosts and just people being jerks about every tiny little minute thing they're not 100% used to.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 06:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
How often do you suppose gas stations get requests to return gas? Especially a few tablespoons? doesn't seem like that great a challenge. And, in any case, what do your closing remarks have to do with it? A truly bizarre post, but I did enjoy it.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:28 PM

229 posts, read 778,650 times
yes

Old 08-31-2017, 06:19 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,177 times
I'd check with an auto parts store or auto repair shop. Maybe give a couple a call, if none of these are willing to accept it I'd be pretty certain to bet that your waste services have a hazardous waste program. You probably have to take it in, but in a city you have to pretty much 100% expect that they have a haz. waste program for you to dump stuff like old fuel.

Whatever you do, please don't dump it down the drain or in your backyard. The BTEX compounds will stay in your soil and/or groundwater for decades, or more and they are carcinogens.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:31 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Would you expect to take your old furniture back to RC Willey's? The gas is environmental waste and should be disposed as such.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:55 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I'd check with an auto parts store or auto repair shop. Maybe give a couple a call, if none of these are willing to accept it I'd be pretty certain to bet that your waste services have a hazardous waste program. You probably have to take it in, but in a city you have to pretty much 100% expect that they have a haz. waste program for you to dump stuff like old fuel.

Whatever you do, please don't dump it down the drain or in your backyard. The BTEX compounds will stay in your soil and/or groundwater for decades, or more and they are carcinogens.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation with hazmat people. OP is talking about a few tablespoons of gas in container cause he/she couldn't be bothered to use a funnel.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:29 AM

272 posts, read 270,442 times
I feel your pain, OP. Just the other day, I walked into the grocery store with a gallon of used frying oil asking where to drop it off. The look on the cashier's face was blank and puzzled. Now I don't know if it had something to do with the fact that I was wearing a penguin costume or that I had a live parrot standing on my shoulder, but she looked at me like I was a crazy person and even had the audacity to say that my request was unusual. Like seriously lady? You're calling me weird? I'm not weird, you are!!!!

But yeah, I feel ya, these crazy Utahns are so out of touch with reality, it's unreal.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:21 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
Buy a funnel at Walmart for a buck, and empty the fuel into your vehicle after filling it up. Believe me, you vehicle will not care, you won't notice any difference in the engine running and you can get back to doing whatever you do.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:08 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
Gas stations have never planned for returned product, because it is a consumable, so no, IMO, its unreasonable to expect them to deal with a return. Spills are a separate issue and they do have process for dealing with the clean up of that. If they fail to instruct front line hourly employees in the procedure, then that is another issue.

Gasoline is a hazardous waste. Most counties or metro areas tend to have a set up for collection of these wastes to include gasoline, oils, paints, batteries, lights, etc. Check with your local government about where these collection points may be located.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrivated View Post
I like to think it's just Salt Lake City herd schizophrenia
Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: