Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:30 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,122 times

Advertisements

https://qz.com/1074386/the-hard-choi...-city-for-hq2/

I personally don't think it'll happen but would be a great choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 AM

914 posts, read 973,548 times
I thought they already were coming into SLC

Old 09-12-2017, 10:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
NOt settled AFAIK. Dallas is in the running but will be hurt by our public transit. SLC will be hurt by perceived cliqueishness.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:03 PM

246 posts, read 320,730 times
Prime real estate for it would be Kennecott's industrial park at Old Bingham Highway and 6200 West, just south of where Boeing moved in.

The Jones family will probably also pitch that parcel they pitched for the new prison.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:56 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
NOt settled AFAIK. Dallas is in the running but will be hurt by our public transit. SLC will be hurt by perceived cliqueishness.
Quarz' assessment is the only one I've seen that places SLC so high, and I don't buy it. Deserved or not, as much as Utah is viewed as a business-friendly place it's also regarded by the vast majority of outsiders - particularly those from the coasts - as a cliqueish Mormon hive of weirdness despite the skiing and outdoor stuff. This is hard to overstate and greatly under-recognized by native Utahns. It's also relatively close to Seattle, so little geographic advantage.

If that's not enough, UT politics are anathema (Mike Lee, Oren Hatch??) to the demographic that Amazon seeks to hire and retain. It's not a coincidence that almost all of the tech industry brain trust is located in blue states/cities. Sorry SLC, not a chance.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 09-18-2017 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: forgot a key point

Old 09-18-2017, 04:51 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Quarz' assessment is the only one I've seen that places SLC so high, and I don't buy it. Deserved or not, as much as Utah is viewed as a business-friendly place it's also regarded by the vast majority of outsiders - particularly those from the coasts - as a cliqueish Mormon hive of weirdness despite the skiing and outdoor stuff. This is hard to overstate and greatly under-recognized by native Utahns. It's also relatively close to Seattle, so little geographic advantage.

If that's not enough, UT politics are anathema (Mike Lee, Oren Hatch??) to the demographic that Amazon seeks to hire and retain. It's not a coincidence that almost all of the tech industry brain trust is located in blue states/cities. Sorry SLC, not a chance.
Okay, I get it. Outsiders regard Utah as "a cliquish Mormon hive of weirdness" and we native Utahns just don't seem to recognize it. I do. I recognize it simply because I've heard it said so many times that I can't deny that this is the perception. So, what I would like to hear from you and others are answers to these two questions:

Is the reputation as "a cliquish Mormon hive of weirdness" deserved or exaggerated?
What can native Utahns like me (especially those of us who are of the weird Mormon persuasion) do to change this?

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-18-2017 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 PM

246 posts, read 320,730 times
Amazon wants a 500,000 square foot of existing building space and the ability to expand up to 8,000,000 square feet.

The big cities bidding on it might have the existing building space covered. But where are you going to put 8,000,000 more square feet of floor space? In Seattle, they occupy 33 buildings to get 8.1 million square feet of space. I can't see New York or San Francisco being able to make a promise in the buildout.

In Salt Lake they could build a centralized campus from scratch instead of piecemealing one together.

But I think they will either pick somewhere Central/Midwest for distribution purposes or another port city for shipping

Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, I get it. Outsiders regard Utah as "a cliquish Mormon hive of weirdness" and we native Utahns just don't seem to recognize it. I do. I recognize it simply because I've heard it said so many times that I can't deny that this is the perception. So, what I would like to hear from you and others are answers to these two questions:

Is the reputation as "a cliquish Mormon hive of weirdness" deserved or exaggerated?
What can native Utahns like me (especially those of us who are of the weird Mormon persuasion) do to change this?
Great questions, Katz. I think in some cases its deserved while in other cases not. I'm going to seriously ponder the matter. Stay tuned.....

Old 09-19-2017, 06:34 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
...The big cities bidding on it might have the existing building space covered. But where are you going to put 8,000,000 more square feet of floor space? ...

But I think they will either pick somewhere Central/Midwest for distribution purposes or another port city for shipping
On top of this, a lot of Central and Midwestern cities have a lot of vacant space that could be expanded into due to being overbuilt in the early 20th century and then largely falling victim to suburbanization over the later 20th century.

Also, this analysis clearly only considers the city proper and not the metro area, which in my opinion tends to give SLC a bit of an over-rated status in the Quartz analysis as SLC is kind of the crown jewel of the Salt Lake metro area, which is very much in contrast to a lot of the older metro areas with legacy inner-city areas and upscale urbanized suburbs or border cities.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:00 AM

163 posts, read 318,466 times
I don’t see Amazon putting their headquarters in Salt Lake due to the simple fact that our population base does not support their business needs. Where will they find 50,000 new hires? The numbers don't add up.

• Salt Lake City has about 200,000 residents. Salt Lake County has 1.1 million, and the state of Utah has 3 million.
• The largest employer in the state is IHC with 37,000 employees.
• The unemployment rate in Utah is low – currently there are about 55,000 unemployed.

The comment that businesses would not choose Utah because it is "a cliquish hive of Mormon weirdness..." is childish and antagonistic. Businesses locate in cities that offer them a competitive advantage, and it's purely a financial decision. If a business needs to attract candidates from a nationwide pool, Utah's political climate may put them at a disadvantage. I believe that the issues that are most problematic to out-of-staters are recent land use decisions and restrictive alcohol laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area