U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2017, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 714 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I are planning to relocate at the beginning of next spring, and Farmington is one of our finalists.
However, I have a few questions..

First off, what is traffic like in Farmington? I know it's a small town, but I also know Lagoon, and Station Park are 2 popular places in town, and am wondering if they cause traffic jams and congestions on the highway

Secondly, is the area safe? I know Ogden and SLC are both nearby, and am wondering if some of the crime from those cities spill over into Farmington at all? Are break-ins or car theft much of an issue?

What are the drivers like in town? I know Utah is sort of notorious for not having the greatest drivers. Does this apply to Farmington as well?

And lastly, are there Christian churches nearby? I'm definitely aware this is a predominately LDS community, but we are devout Christians, and want to make sure there would be churches for us

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 09:11 PM

106 posts, read 104,576 times
Highway gets backed up during normal commute time heading south to SLC in the morning and heading north away from SLC in the evening.

Yes, very safe. But most would say that SLC and Ogden are generally very safe as well outside of a an area or two.

Probably not any different than anywhere else.

Very few non-LDS churches in Davis county and none that I'm aware of in Farmington. You will need to drive closer to SLC or Ogden.

If you don't mind me asking, why Farmington? It's fine, but all of Davis county just runs together with very little to distinguish one town from the next.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:15 AM

149 posts, read 172,351 times
There are some occasional traffic slow-downs during the morning and evening commute, primarily near the freeway ramp accessing I-15. I-15 itself is very congested during those times, and the section north of where the Legacy Parkway merges into it is a real mess in the late afternoon/early evening. Lagoon doesn't seem to have a big impact on traffic, but Station Park has a definite impact on west side traffic. There is a gauntlet of stop lights that really slow you down if you're trying to drive in the east/west direction.

Statistically speaking, the crime rates in Farmington are much lower than either Salt Lake or Ogden, and also lower than the averages across the state and country. Here, you have a 1/60 chance of being the victim of a property crime such as car break-ins or theft, but only a 1/1400 chance of experiencing violent crime. In Ogden and Salt Lake, your chances of becoming victim to a property crime are 1/20 and 1/10, respectively. Chances of a violent crime are 1/220 and 1/116.

In Farmington, the only non-LDS church I've noticed is a nondenominational Christian church called Lifepoint. Just north in Kaysville and Fruit Heights, you can find Baptist, Presbyterian, Church of Christ and Bible Church congregations. Just south in Centerville, there is an Episcopalian congregation. Layton has Catholic, Lutheran, and Nazarene congregations, along with a number of other denominations.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:04 AM

3,331 posts, read 1,900,470 times
I'll try to answer a few questions as we live in Bountiful (2 towns south of Farmington):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingSoon15 View Post
Hi all,

My family and I are planning to relocate at the beginning of next spring, and Farmington is one of our finalists.
However, I have a few questions..

First off, what is traffic like in Farmington? I know it's a small town, but I also know Lagoon, and Station Park are 2 popular places in town, and am wondering if they cause traffic jams and congestions on the highway

Traffic within Farmington will be fine. It's a quiet little town as are Centerville, Bountiful, and Kaysville. Yes there will be some congestion around station park and the interstate on/off ramps. It's not that significant though. I15 does see some congestion going south during rush hour and north in the evening. Also around Hill Airforce base you'll see some congestion as well. But this will not impact Farmington itself.

Secondly, is the area safe? I know Ogden and SLC are both nearby, and am wondering if some of the crime from those cities spill over into Farmington at all? Are break-ins or car theft much of an issue?

LOL even the worst areas of Ogden and SLC are puddy cat safe unless you're looking for trouble. There are isolated crimes all throughout Utah but you can't get much safer than Layton -> Bountiful in Davis. Yes there are occasional break-ins of cars and houses mostly by teenagers looking for something to do but it's very very rare.

What are the drivers like in town? I know Utah is sort of notorious for not having the greatest drivers. Does this apply to Farmington as well?

The drivers are fine here. We've lived in Colorado, Upstate NY, TN, and Florida but Utah's drivers are near the top in quality. People complain everywhere about their drivers but have no clue relative to everywhere else. Utahns go spend a few years driving in Florida then report back!

I will say the 1 head scratcher in Utah is people seem to forget how to drive in snow every year. Not sure if it's the influx of people (Californians!) or they just forget. But the first major snow every fall (November) it seems tons of accidents, people are speeding everywhere, and cars are flying off the roads. They drive on bald tires and don't slow down or give enough space. If you can avoid early morning commute on the first snowfall best to do so.

And lastly, are there Christian churches nearby? I'm definitely aware this is a predominately LDS community, but we are devout Christians, and want to make sure there would be churches for us

You may want to gain understanding of the LDS religion. By your statement "we are devout Christians" you are implying they are not christian. That will offend many of them and they will fight that statement by vehemently claiming they are indeed christian. Not to turn this into a political or religious thread but just a head's up....

My wife and I go to a non-denominational bible based church called Flourishing grace church formerly known as Bountiful Heights Church. We have a baptist church and a catholic church on the same street here. I know Centerville had 2-3 non LDS churches as well. Not sure about Farmington.

Thank you!

My final bit of advice is not to settle on Farmington but spend some time driving and looking at houses from NSL up to Layton and perhaps over to Syracuse. Depending upon your housing budget, where you work, and your preferences you may find a mix of what you're looking for. You may find you like Layton or even Fruit Heights to your liking. There is a significant military presence in this area due to Hill AFB.

Centerville just off Parrish lane down to Pages lane has some cool neighborhoods as well. Plus there is a good mix of shopping and restaurants there.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or