U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2017, 01:37 PM
 
1,110 posts, read 395,232 times
Reputation: 860

Advertisements

Hello, I am from the Atlanta metro and I received a job offer that pays about $65k a year and its located in Draper.. Its a $20k increase for myself currently, although I was working two jobs earlier and with two jobs I was at $100k - I can't work two jobs forever.

After researching, the cost of living in Salt Lake City is considerably higher than it is in Atlanta and I'm not sure if the increase of Salary will be enough to offset it. Note that I have other expenses. I am paying back college student loans, I have a heavy $75k total dental expense that needs serious attention, and of course a car note and insurance...the bulk of my funds are going to my dental expenses currently.

I have never really "considered" Salt Lake City before this job offer. The rental prices there look to be on average about $150 - $200 per month higher than it is here in Atlanta as well BUT it looks like I can get by with a $900 monthly 1 bedroom.

I am not sure what I want to do. I can't survive here in Atlanta with my current expenses at $40k, and even $65k here in Atlanta would be pretty difficult (It was still almost impractical even at $100k and two jobs) ..but every increment helps..

I currently work for a fortune 500 company and would be leaving that company to make such a move but I would receive a $20k increase in salary..

.. should I attempt this or not? If so, what areas would you recommend that I move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2017, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
20,549 posts, read 20,177,896 times
Reputation: 9399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Hello, I am from the Atlanta metro and I received a job offer that pays about $65k a year and its located in Draper.. Its a $20k increase for myself currently, although I was working two jobs earlier and with two jobs I was at $100k - I can't work two jobs forever.

After researching, the cost of living in Salt Lake City is considerably higher than it is in Atlanta and I'm not sure if the increase of Salary will be enough to offset it. Note that I have other expenses. I am paying back college student loans, I have a heavy $75k total dental expense that needs serious attention, and of course a car note and insurance...the bulk of my funds are going to my dental expenses currently.

I have never really "considered" Salt Lake City before this job offer. The rental prices there look to be on average about $150 - $200 per month higher than it is here in Atlanta as well BUT it looks like I can get by with a $900 monthly 1 bedroom.

I am not sure what I want to do. I can't survive here in Atlanta with my current expenses at $40k, and even $65k here in Atlanta would be pretty difficult (It was still almost impractical even at $100k and two jobs) ..but every increment helps..

I currently work for a fortune 500 company and would be leaving that company to make such a move but I would receive a $20k increase in salary..

.. should I attempt this or not? If so, what areas would you recommend that I move to?
I think you need to consider a lot more factors than money. Obviously, financial factors are going to be important, but I think you need to look at what you want in terms of lifestyle, culture, climate, entertainment, meeting people with your same interests, transportation, overall standard of living, etc. How do you spend your leisure time? What are you looking for in a place to move? You've spoken only about the financial end of things, which doesn't give us too awfully much to go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 04:55 PM
 
1,110 posts, read 395,232 times
Reputation: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think you need to consider a lot more factors than money. Obviously, financial factors are going to be important, but I think you need to look at what you want in terms of lifestyle, culture, climate, entertainment, meeting people with your same interests, transportation, overall standard of living, etc. How do you spend your leisure time? What are you looking for in a place to move? You've spoken only about the financial end of things, which doesn't give us too awfully much to go on.
Understandable, I'm fairly indifferent to most cultural aspects of life. I don't go out at night or party. I only have one real hobby and thats building fast cars. Climate though, I will admit Im kind of leary about the winters in Salt Lake. I don't really enjoy snow that much and I drive a car I intended to preserve so salted roads is kind of a turn off for me. Apartment lifestyle? I can tolerate it, but admittedly I will eventually want a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 09:33 AM
 
Location: East Millcreek
2,320 posts, read 4,760,520 times
Reputation: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Understandable, I'm fairly indifferent to most cultural aspects of life. I don't go out at night or party. I only have one real hobby and thats building fast cars. Climate though, I will admit Im kind of leary about the winters in Salt Lake. I don't really enjoy snow that much and I drive a car I intended to preserve so salted roads is kind of a turn off for me. Apartment lifestyle? I can tolerate it, but admittedly I will eventually want a house.
In the valley the winters are actually fairly mild. It snows occasionally but it's usually gone fast. Mountain roads are salted but in the valley not so much. Cars last a long time here and don't rust out immediately like the NE and midwest. I've discovered that SLC seems to have a surprisingly broad gearhead community (I have a semi-exotic vintage Mercedes). There are lots of customizing, restoration and specialty/tuning garages, fabricators, etc. Racing fuel and non-alcohol gas is readily available. That said, for transplants (vs transferees) the biggest draw is usually the 4-season outdoor recreation. If you make the move you might consider expanding your hobbies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 09:51 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,018 posts, read 10,173,798 times
Reputation: 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
It snows occasionally but it's usually gone fast. Mountain roads are salted but in the valley not so much.
Must be part of the city ordnance or rules ...

Taylorsville and surroundings, I live along the canal, and the roads are always salted when they plow the street.
I have never seen the freeways NOT salted behind the plows either ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 09:55 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
10,448 posts, read 6,906,941 times
Reputation: 15926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Hello, I am from the Atlanta metro and I received a job offer that pays about $65k a year and its located in Draper.. Its a $20k increase for myself currently, although I was working two jobs earlier and with two jobs I was at $100k - I can't work two jobs forever.

After researching, the cost of living in Salt Lake City is considerably higher than it is in Atlanta and I'm not sure if the increase of Salary will be enough to offset it. Note that I have other expenses. I am paying back college student loans, I have a heavy $75k total dental expense that needs serious attention, and of course a car note and insurance...the bulk of my funds are going to my dental expenses currently.

I have never really "considered" Salt Lake City before this job offer. The rental prices there look to be on average about $150 - $200 per month higher than it is here in Atlanta as well BUT it looks like I can get by with a $900 monthly 1 bedroom.

I am not sure what I want to do. I can't survive here in Atlanta with my current expenses at $40k, and even $65k here in Atlanta would be pretty difficult (It was still almost impractical even at $100k and two jobs) ..but every increment helps..

I currently work for a fortune 500 company and would be leaving that company to make such a move but I would receive a $20k increase in salary..

.. should I attempt this or not? If so, what areas would you recommend that I move to?
Can't answer your questions about Salt Lake City - other than I just love the place - but I can say this:

GO FOR IT! It's a chance to go forward and get ahead and advance your life. Call the company Monday and tell them you'll take it. Work out the details later. Believe me, they WILL work out!

PS: Work on that overhead. As you said, it's too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Status: "Blue Plumbagos!" (set 9 days ago)
 
1,192 posts, read 328,041 times
Reputation: 2420
Need4Camaro -- Hello -- A mom of Kiddos about your age - 2 daughter and 2 sons-in-laws. First, I just had to jump in here about your high dental expenses. I would try going to a Dental School and see if they can help you with your treatment on a sliding scale.

You mentioned renting an apt in SLC. And you also mentioned loving to work on cars. Apartment living and working on cars doesn't work too well. Not only the physical spot for the car, but also for your big toolbox on wheels. That could be problematical. Most times a house, even a small one, is going to rent for more than an apartment and when you do rent a house, eventually, you are probably going to want one with an RV gate for access to the backyard so you can keep your "special" car back there.

Also, before you sign the papers, try to read the benefit package in full, especially the health insurance. Benefits in a F - 500 company can be much better than those in a smaller company -- but not always the case. Just something to check. Also keep in mind airplane expenses if you have family and may want to travel back for holidays, weddings, or funerals. That all has to come out of your net income and vacation time/PTO. Airplane tickets add up big time.

But, you are young, and this may be a great opportunity for you. As to the area to move to -- SLC is quite spread out and you need to keep your commute in mind. Do not set yourself up for a really long commute - at this time of your life and especially after a big move, you need to make new friends and get involved in local life, as well as possibly be involved in work activities. This all takes time off the clock.

Good luck --- I hope everything works out well for you. Keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2017, 10:34 AM
 
Location: East Millcreek
2,320 posts, read 4,760,520 times
Reputation: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Must be part of the city ordnance or rules ...

Taylorsville and surroundings, I live along the canal, and the roads are always salted when they plow the street.
I have never seen the freeways NOT salted behind the plows either ?
You raise a good point. I'm comparing my local area with what I'm used to seeing in the northeast, which is universal salt everywhere the instant there's snow in the forecast. Still, you see far fewer rusted out cars here. Low humidity contributes no doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2017, 11:02 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,018 posts, read 10,173,798 times
Reputation: 3849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
You raise a good point. I'm comparing my local area with what I'm used to seeing in the northeast, which is universal salt everywhere the instant there's snow in the forecast. Still, you see far fewer rusted out cars here. Low humidity contributes no doubt.
I do recall seeing a lot more rusted cars on the roads in the Eastern part of the USA but that was also a long time ago ... like the late 80's ? I wonder what the cars were like in winter here in Utah in the late 80's.

In winter when it snows in Utah, I have to wash my car every other day almost .
And I do that at those car washes where *you* can do the bottom of the car !

The fact is that the roads ARE salted here and if the OP needs to go *on the road* ... !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2017, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Hagerman, Idaho
2,191 posts, read 4,698,169 times
Reputation: 2023
Yup they darn sure DO salt the roads here, especially the primary ones starting with the Interstate roads and secondary roads as well. More often then not they will also use a Brine solution to avoid black ice formations. While it does tend to do a decent job, it's like a cake on your car and highly recommended to spray OFF as soon as possible. It's the folks that tend to leave it on for weeks at a time that end up with beginning rust spots and denigration of the plastic and rubber parts on the car as well. They've become quite fond of this brine solution over the last number of years, so I'm sure to visit the high pressure self wash places the day afterward to get the crud well OFF all over the car and underneath. So far that's done the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top