Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,644 times

Advertisements

Good Morning/Afternoon/Night

I am an international student from Perú. I usually come to Utah to do the work and travel program in Park City. I've been here for 2 winter seasons and couldn't visit any mine yet ( I know I need a special permit). This will be my last season here and I would like to know what places could I go to learn about local mining in my days-off. I've read some books about minerals but it isn't enough. I would like to meet people who know about this topic. I would like to talk with them face to face and listen some stories about it. Any information is welcome.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by ldaniel; 11-30-2017 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 09:26 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldaniel View Post
Good Morning/Afternoon/Night

I am an international student from Perú. I usually come to Utah to do the work and travel program in Park City. I've been here for 2 winter seasons and couldn't visit any mine yet ( I know I need a special permit). This will be my last season here and I would like to know where places could I go to learn about local mining in my days-off. I've read some books about minerals but it isn't enough. I would like to meet people who know about this topic. I would like to talk with them face to face and listen some stories about the topic. Any information is welcome.

Thank you in advance
I would suggest that you send a direct message (a "DM") to the poster named Geo-Aggie. He used to live in the Salt Lake City area, and while he isn't a mining engineer, he does have a degree (I believe) in geology and would likely be your best resource for an accurate answer to your question. He has moved out of state and while he still posts, he visits the Salt Lake City forum less frequently than he used to.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,644 times
I will do that. Thanks for your reply

Old 11-30-2017, 10:42 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
If you want to get plenty of job opportunities in the mining industry, then Utah is wrong place to do so.

The best "countries" for Mining jobs are :
Australia - South Africa - Russia - Guinea and the Ukraine.
Maybe Canada also, but not sure if OK in the next decades !

Old 12-02-2017, 08:29 AM

163 posts, read 318,410 times
The University of Utah has a program in Mining Engineering so that might be a good place to start. There is also a Utah Chapter of SME, the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration. Here is a link to contact info for their officers: communitylisting - Mining Metallurgy and Exploration - SME I don't know how active the chapter is, but I would expect them to meet regularly and offer speakers and mentoring opportunities.

As far as to local mining facilities. I would expect the Bingham Canyon and Rio Tinto mines to offer something - I toured a similar open pit operation in Montana years ago. There was a gold mines near Park City that once offered a tour of an underground mine, but I believe that attraction is no longer in business. I would also expect that local historical societies might have some interesting info on mining in days past. For example, the Western Mining and Railroad Museum in Helper Utah claims to feature a simulated underground coal mine.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:35 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
I'm not sure what your specific interest is, but one of the most active mining areas in the world is a short day's drive from Park City. The Powder River Basin in NE Wyoming has some of the largest open pit mines in the world that supply approximately 40% of this nation's coal.

At least one of the mines, working with the Gillette Chamber of Commerce, provides daily group mine tours in the summer. This time of the year you'd have to make arrangements to get a personal tour, but I doubt that would be too difficult. Years ago I used to take so many people to our first large-scale mine for private tours that the mine manager told me I could just conduct the tours myself. Unfortunately, safety concerns have changed in the past 40 years and that'll never happen again, but if you have a strong interest, especially a professional interest, gaining a personal 30-60 minute tour shouldn't be too difficult if you can schedule it ahead of time.

You should be able to google the info for addresses, phone numbers, mine manager names, etc.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:07 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldaniel View Post
I usually come to Utah to do the work and travel program in Park City.
Sorry, I misunderstood you.

On the west the open pit mining is good to visit.
Subterranean mining go to the Iron County areas and talk with the people there.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
I'm a few days late, but I see I have been summoned!

So.. mining is pretty rough right now, but it has been rough for 5 or so years. This sector is cyclical so I imagine you're probably approaching an upswing. Don't bother focusing much on coal mining, it'll never be back. Instead you should try and learn about metals, agricultural minerals, and evaporation mining methods (for things like lithium and salt, which are abundant in Utah). As for where you can go learn about mining, I may suggest going up to the Bingham Canyon (Rio Tinto) copper mine out by West Jordan. It's a bit touristy, but they have a pretty cool mining museum, and some really smart people who would be happy to talk with you about the subject. The Utah Mining Association also has a very strong presence in mining education. I used to volunteer as an "ambassador" for them and go talk to classes about careers in mining. I imagine if you reached out to them, they'd have someone who could meet you for coffee. As an organization they're still very pro-coal, but most of the people who volunteer with them understand the reality behind the death of coal. Also there are a number of active coal mines in the Price and Rock Springs, WY areas, but that's a bit of a trek (especially in the Winter) if you don't have a reliable car.

I've since moved to Michigan, so we can't really meet up and chat face to face, but if you ever want to message me on facebook or something feel free to ping my inbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area