U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 AM

29 posts, read 10,366 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Orem to teach instrumental lessons privately. I am a professional musician with many years of experience and a degree from a well known music school. I'm just wondering if locals could tell me if there might be any demand for private music instructors, and if there are any private music academies or music stores that might be hiring private teachers. My understanding is that Orem is a family town, so I'm wondering if parents are looking for a music teacher for their children. To address the elephant in the room, I am not Mormon, but I am clean cut, polite and conservative in nature and personality. I work in an area currently with Mormons and have no problems and find I enjoy working with people who are Mormon in general. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 09:03 AM

20,160 posts, read 19,769,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klemmaniac View Post
I am considering a move to Orem to teach instrumental lessons privately. I am a professional musician with many years of experience and a degree from a well known music school. I'm just wondering if locals could tell me if there might be any demand for private music instructors, and if there are any private music academies or music stores that might be hiring private teachers. My understanding is that Orem is a family town, so I'm wondering if parents are looking for a music teacher for their children. To address the elephant in the room, I am not Mormon, but I am clean cut, polite and conservative in nature and personality. I work in an area currently with Mormons and have no problems and find I enjoy working with people who are Mormon in general. Thanks!
Just a guess. I would think there'd be quite a demand for such individuals. Mormons are strongly encouraged to develop their talents and, as you may have noticed, they seem to be fairly well-represented in the performing arts. I think that the problem you're likely to encounter is that in pretty much every ward (i.e. congregation) there are already a couple of individuals doing what you are interested in doing. If there is already a qualified piano teacher, for instance, in someone's ward and his child wants to take piano lessons, the parents aren't going to look beyond the individual they have known for years and have heard perform on countless occasions. Unless you have some expertise teaching less "common" instruments, you're going to run into competition that is probably insurmountable. It won't be because you're not LDS, but just because of the situation I just described. Piano teachers and violin teachers are a dime a dozen in this area. If, on the other hand, you could teach the bassoon, or the French horn or the piccolo, you might have more success.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:11 AM

29 posts, read 10,366 times
Thanks Katzpur. I would teach drums, which is a common instrument, so there may be enough drum teachers in the community. It sounds like outside of church, I would need to find a private music school or music store to teach at. Thank you for your thoughts.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:11 AM

2,760 posts, read 1,554,212 times
Yes there is demand but I think you’ll find a great deal of supply as well. I have two (LDS) colleagues that have stay at home wives. Both do music lessons in their house as a side business. I think one does classical piano and some wind instruments where the other is guitar and other acoustic instruments. I would assume neither is your talent or “professional” but they are probably good enough for basic lessons. I also think the going rate is quite low here compared with what you might get in a large city due to this dynamic.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:57 AM

44 posts, read 65,016 times
I am wondering, is there a demand for listening to 'live' music among LDS? From what I heard, they don't drink much but do they like to party otherwise... meaning, do they like live music festivals and going out to hear live music? My boyfriend is a musician too and he plays with a band in clubs, weddings, private events, etc. We are considering moving to Utah.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 AM

2,760 posts, read 1,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitak View Post
I am wondering, is there a demand for listening to 'live' music among LDS? From what I heard, they don't drink much but do they like to party otherwise... meaning, do they like live music festivals and going out to hear live music? My boyfriend is a musician too and he plays with a band in clubs, weddings, private events, etc. We are considering moving to Utah.

I'm not sure "live" music is exactly right. The way I would put it is that the LDS institution very much values the arts and foreign cultures/linguistics in general. You'll see a great deal of musicals, theater, dancing, opera, ballet, etc... associated or attended by the church.

The 'live' music scene at Snowbird, The Depot, Red Butte gardens, Ogden/SLC free concerts, the State Room is much less tied in with the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
View detailed profiles of: