U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 05:48 PM

79 posts, read 78,131 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

I was just wondering if there are any people here that have relocated from Orange County or San Diego County to the Salt Lake City area and would care to comment on it.

Not looking for a line item comparison or anything like that, just a general vibe and you feel about life post CA.

My family and I are not overly religious, we like LDS people but don't have interest in joining the church.

Some concerns with SLC:

- School aged children being excluded for not being part of the Church

- Winter inversions

Some concerns about OC/ SD:

- Expensive everything (housing, taxes, business costs, etc)
- Traffic everywhere
- Liberal state policy

If we were to move to the area it would be Cottonwood Heights, East Mil Creek or Olympus Cove.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:57 PM

5,388 posts, read 11,353,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post
Some concerns with SLC:

- Winter inversions

If we were to move to the area it would be Cottonwood Heights, East Mil Creek or Olympus Cove.
About your "concerns" ...
Are you asking, or have you made up your mind that it will be as such?

To start with the second part, if you made up your mind, start looking for another place.
If you are asking, plenty of family experiences noted here that the whole idea of your kids being excluded or sometimes even mentioned as "shunned", is totally overblown, and is usually more than not, the fault of the newcomers themselves!
You start *touting* that you are not interested, or you are *comparing* your lifestyle with the one which is prevalent here, forget your whole idea of coming here.
But, if you have an open mind and do not teach your kids that they are right and the rest is wrong, is a totally bad start! You are the newcomer here, so please do not try to change the old timers here!
You can adapt and live in peace side by side. There are always bad apples anywhere you go, on both sides!
If you choose the right area, you will not have a problem there.

Winter inversions.
If you, from the start, have breathing problems, then do not come here, because it can get pretty bad, although not for weeks and months at one time. Every winter, we WILL get inversions!
If you come here and nobody leaves in your place, then YOU actually added to the problem!
One problem we have here, where we cannot win for losing.
Unless we go back 50+ years, there will never be a solution to this problem. It is man-made, and people are not willing to change.
Unless you live somewhere "above" the inversion layer altitude, or somewhere farther away from the inversion problem area. There are a few places where that problem can be almost eliminated for you.
Salt Lake City is located in a valley surrounded by mountains and thus forms a bowl, just right for an inversion layer. The bad part is that the air underneath the leayer is contaminated by people!

Old 03-30-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
About your "concerns" ...
Are you asking, or have you made up your mind that it will be as such?

To start with the second part, if you made up your mind, start looking for another place.
If you are asking, plenty of family experiences noted here that the whole idea of your kids being excluded or sometimes even mentioned as "shunned", is totally overblown, and is usually more than not, the fault of the newcomers themselves!
You start *touting* that you are not interested, or you are *comparing* your lifestyle with the one which is prevalent here, forget your whole idea of coming here.
But, if you have an open mind and do not teach your kids that they are right and the rest is wrong, is a totally bad start! You are the newcomer here, so please do not try to change the old timers here!
You can adapt and live in peace side by side. There are always bad apples anywhere you go, on both sides!
If you choose the right area, you will not have a problem there.

Winter inversions.
If you, from the start, have breathing problems, then do not come here, because it can get pretty bad, although not for weeks and months at one time. Every winter, we WILL get inversions!
If you come here and nobody leaves in your place, then YOU actually added to the problem!
One problem we have here, where we cannot win for losing.
Unless we go back 50+ years, there will never be a solution to this problem. It is man-made, and people are not willing to change.
Unless you live somewhere "above" the inversion layer altitude, or somewhere farther away from the inversion problem area. There are a few places where that problem can be almost eliminated for you.
Salt Lake City is located in a valley surrounded by mountains and thus forms a bowl, just right for an inversion layer. The bad part is that the air underneath the leayer is contaminated by people!
Hey Irman, your comments have been read and respectfully ignored. The last person I would ever take advice from or listen to is a condescending know it all telling me what to do as if they actually are giving orders. Get a life!

The question was regarding people who relocated from OC or SD to SLC specifically in case you missed that part.

Last edited by AboveTheIce; 03-30-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-30-2018, 10:40 AM

22,288 posts, read 22,853,046 times
Quote:
Hi everyone-

I was just wondering if there are any people here that have relocated from Orange County or San Diego County to the Salt Lake City area and would care to comment on it.

Not looking for a line item comparison or anything like that, just a general vibe and you feel about life post CA.

My family and I are not overly religious, we like LDS people but don't have interest in joining the church.

Some concerns with SLC:

- Winter inversions

- Traffic everywhere
- Liberal state policy

Thanks
Since I've never lived in Orange County or San Diego, I have been holding off on posting. But maybe this will get the ball rolling...

My personal gut feeling is that you shouldn't be overly concerned about your kids finding friends. I grew up (as a Mormon) in Salt Lake City back in the 1950s and I had plenty of both Mormon and non-Mormon friends. My kids grew up here (in Cottonwood Heights) in the 1980s and also had plenty of both Mormon and non-Mormon friends. Nobody cared what church (if any) somebody else went to. I know that's been a while, but I would imagine that things would be better, not worse, than they used to be.

I know you may hear horror stories about non-LDS kids who weren't able to make any friends here, and I'm not denying such situations exist. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that you moved into an area that was 50% LDS and 50% non-LDS. That would mean your kids would be in a class of, say, 30 others kids. And even if he was shunned by half of the kids in his class (which is highly unlikely), he'd still have a 15-kid pool from which to find friends. Now, I'm giving this as an exaggerated example, just to prove my point. More likely is a scenario where three or four kids in his class might not want to associate with your child specifically because he's wasn't a Mormon. You don't want your child to have friends like that anyway, do you? Our neighbors just over our back fence are non-LDS. They have an only-child. I've never seen a kid with so many friends over all the time. He is definitely not lacking in friends; whether the other kids are LDS or not, I have no idea.

The winter inversions suck. Of course, being where you're from, you're used to dirty air, so it probably won't be as big of an adjustment to you as to someone moving here from a small town in Iowa. The inversions are most noticeable from mid-December through mid-February. They come and make the air ugly and unhealthy for a few days at a time. Then we get a good storm and the crud moves out and we have a few nice days. It's a cycle that repeats itself for about 8 weeks out of the year. For some people, the air does cause physical problems. For most, it's more ugly than anything else. My mother, who had asthma, lived in Salt Lake until she died at the age of 96, an was really pretty healthy right up to the end. My nephew, who is 26 and has Cystic Fibrosis, has lived her all his life and just kind of watches that he doesn't spend too much time outside when the air gets really bad.

Cottonwood Heights, East Millcreek or Olympic Cove are all great areas. (I've lived for the last 36 years in Cottonwood Heights and absolutely love it.) You might want to add Holladay to your list of places to look. It's kind of right in between East Millcreek and Cottonwood Heights.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Since I've never lived in Orange County or San Diego, I have been holding off on posting. But maybe this will get the ball rolling...

My personal gut feeling is that you shouldn't be overly concerned about your kids finding friends. I grew up (as a Mormon) in Salt Lake City back in the 1950s and I had plenty of both Mormon and non-Mormon friends. My kids grew up here (in Cottonwood Heights) in the 1980s and also had plenty of both Mormon and non-Mormon friends. Nobody cared what church (if any) somebody else went to. I know that's been a while, but I would imagine that things would be better, not worse, than they used to be.

I know you may hear horror stories about non-LDS kids who weren't able to make any friends here, and I'm not denying such situations exist. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that you moved into an area that was 50% LDS and 50% non-LDS. That would mean your kids would be in a class of, say, 30 others kids. And even if he was shunned by half of the kids in his class (which is highly unlikely), he'd still have a 15-kid pool from which to find friends. Now, I'm giving this as an exaggerated example, just to prove my point. More likely is a scenario where three or four kids in his class might not want to associate with your child specifically because he's wasn't a Mormon. You don't want your child to have friends like that anyway, do you? Our neighbors just over our back fence are non-LDS. They have an only-child. I've never seen a kid with so many friends over all the time. He is definitely not lacking in friends; whether the other kids are LDS or not, I have no idea.

The winter inversions suck. Of course, being where you're from, you're used to dirty air, so it probably won't be as big of an adjustment to you as to someone moving here from a small town in Iowa. The inversions are most noticeable from mid-December through mid-February. They come and make the air ugly and unhealthy for a few days at a time. Then we get a good storm and the crud moves out and we have a few nice days. It's a cycle that repeats itself for about 8 weeks out of the year. For some people, the air does cause physical problems. For most, it's more ugly than anything else. My mother, who had asthma, lived in Salt Lake until she died at the age of 96, an was really pretty healthy right up to the end. My nephew, who is 26 and has Cystic Fibrosis, has lived her all his life and just kind of watches that he doesn't spend too much time outside when the air gets really bad.

Cottonwood Heights, East Millcreek or Olympic Cove are all great areas. (I've lived for the last 36 years in Cottonwood Heights and absolutely love it.) You might want to add Holladay to your list of places to look. It's kind of right in between East Millcreek and Cottonwood Heights.

Good luck!
Hi Katzpur,

Thanks for your response and even though you have not lived in San Diego or OC, your useful insight is much appreciated. Your comments regarding children and inversions were particularly interesting.

We have some friends (LDS) in Cottonwood Heights and we really like that area so that would be high on the list. Park City is an option, but likely too far away from the work centers and conveniences of SLC proper. We spent some time in Orem and Provo and went as far South as Payson and I really like the openness of the area, but probably not the right match overall.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:22 PM

22,288 posts, read 22,853,046 times
Quote:
Hi Katzpur,

Thanks for your response and even though you have not lived in San Diego or OC, your useful insight is much appreciated. Your comments regarding children and inversions were particularly interesting.

We have some friends (LDS) in Cottonwood Heights and we really like that area so that would be high on the list. Park City is an option, but likely too far away from the work centers and conveniences of SLC proper. We spent some time in Orem and Provo and went as far South as Payson and I really like the openness of the area, but probably not the right match overall.
Yeah, I'd definitely suggest you not even consider Utah County. It's a nice area for LDS families who are happiest with the least amount of religious diversity possible.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:58 PM

51 posts, read 29,266 times
Quote:
Hi everyone-

Some concerns with SLC:

- Winter inversions

- Traffic everywhere
- Liberal state policy

Thanks
I am somewhat in the same boat as you but with a few differences. My wife and I live in Studio city/North Hollywood area and are looking to move (back) to Utah, Salt Lake City more specifically, after having lived in California for the last 13 years or so.
We would prefer to live in either Sugarhouse, Holladay or cottonwood heights, probably sugarhouse as that is where we lived before we moved to Los Angeles.
We have been back to Utah a few times recently and it has changed quite a bit since we last lived there. It’s getting more expensive to live there but still nowhere close to “California” expensive. There are a LOT of Californians that have relocated to there and in any trip to Utah you are bound to see a plethora of California plates.
The inversions suck! But they don’t last forever.
We not LDS and have never had an issue whatsoever making friends and getting involved in community happenings as there was always a good mix of LDS and non LDS, none so much the wiser to the other in most cases.
I can’t speak of children and schools etc because we didn’t (and don’t) have kids so I cannot offer any insight there.
Traffic is getting worse in SLC for sure but it is not even close to the epic traffic of California..I5/405/101 etc. I do think Utah has some of the worst drivers that I’ve even seen though, but that is a topic for another discussion.
The areas that you are considering to move to are very nice and I can’t imagine that you’d be disappointed. There are numerous outdoor activities all around the area and some nice weekend drives/road trips...like Preston Idaho, home of Napoleon Dynamite, we’ve been there a few times, not for everyone but we enjoyed it!
Btw have you started searching for employment there?

Old 03-31-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhzr View Post
I am somewhat in the same boat as you but with a few differences. My wife and I live in Studio city/North Hollywood area and are looking to move (back) to Utah, Salt Lake City more specifically, after having lived in California for the last 13 years or so.
We would prefer to live in either Sugarhouse, Holladay or cottonwood heights, probably sugarhouse as that is where we lived before we moved to Los Angeles.
We have been back to Utah a few times recently and it has changed quite a bit since we last lived there. It’s getting more expensive to live there but still nowhere close to “California” expensive. There are a LOT of Californians that have relocated to there and in any trip to Utah you are bound to see a plethora of California plates.
The inversions suck! But they don’t last forever.
We not LDS and have never had an issue whatsoever making friends and getting involved in community happenings as there was always a good mix of LDS and non LDS, none so much the wiser to the other in most cases.
I can’t speak of children and schools etc because we didn’t (and don’t) have kids so I cannot offer any insight there.
Traffic is getting worse in SLC for sure but it is not even close to the epic traffic of California..I5/405/101 etc. I do think Utah has some of the worst drivers that I’ve even seen though, but that is a topic for another discussion.
The areas that you are considering to move to are very nice and I can’t imagine that you’d be disappointed. There are numerous outdoor activities all around the area and some nice weekend drives/road trips...like Preston Idaho, home of Napoleon Dynamite, we’ve been there a few times, not for everyone but we enjoyed it!
Btw have you started searching for employment there?
Hey Rbhzr,

Thanks for your comments, it's interesting to connect with other people thinking about a similar move.

I grew up skiing/ snowboarding every winter break as a kid in Utah and then I used to represent several outdoor brands and went to the ASR shows that were held annually in SLC. We also camped several times in Capitol Reef over the years and that was just awesome.

That was how I cut my teeth on the area, but never actually lived there.

I totally agree with you the area is changing rapidly and i'm sure that is a mixed blessing depending on who you are speaking with. I prefer to see the positive in that.

That said when I compare SLC and surrounding areas with say Denver, I see Denver as far more dense and way more people on the roads. A nice city, but a bit larger than what we are looking for.

I'd be interested to get your take on the drivers and see if others would concur.

Yeah, the varied landscapes in Utah are a real appeal as are the outdoor opportunities- can't deny that.

The lack of an ocean is kind of a bummer, but an annual trip to Maui or Kauai should suffice. There is always Strawberry Res, or Powell for water sports if needed.

You asked about having a job lined up. Well one of the real appealing things about the area are the jobs and the rapidly growing IT/ software market. Did you know that SLC (Silicon Slopes) is one of the highest yielding Venture Capital zones in the US? That should continue to grow. BYU and esp the U are really helping that along and the U has some amazing stuff going on technically.

I own a small technical company which I can relocate anywhere, so I don't need to line up work per se, but my wife is a Software Developer (junior) so we think her prospects should be good.

Back to CA, we like OC and SD a lot, but the reward vs. pain factor has gotten to a point where it does not make much sense to stay here anymore and while I don't want to make this political we just don't see eye to eye with the California politicians esp Jerry Brown.

When are you planning to move?

Old 03-31-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, I'd definitely suggest you not even consider Utah County. It's a nice area for LDS families who are happiest with the least amount of religious diversity possible.
LOL- Duly noted, thanks Katzpur!

Old 04-02-2018, 04:58 PM

51 posts, read 29,266 times
Quote:
Hey Rbhzr,

Thanks for your comments, it's interesting to connect with other people thinking about a similar move.

I grew up skiing/ snowboarding every winter break as a kid in Utah and then I used to represent several outdoor brands and went to the ASR shows that were held annually in SLC. We also camped several times in Capitol Reef over the years and that was just awesome.

That was how I cut my teeth on the area, but never actually lived there.

I totally agree with you the area is changing rapidly and i'm sure that is a mixed blessing depending on who you are speaking with. I prefer to see the positive in that.

That said when I compare SLC and surrounding areas with say Denver, I see Denver as far more dense and way more people on the roads. A nice city, but a bit larger than what we are looking for.

I'd be interested to get your take on the drivers and see if others would concur.

Yeah, the varied landscapes in Utah are a real appeal as are the outdoor opportunities- can't deny that.

The lack of an ocean is kind of a bummer, but an annual trip to Maui or Kauai should suffice. There is always Strawberry Res, or Powell for water sports if needed.

You asked about having a job lined up. Well one of the real appealing things about the area are the jobs and the rapidly growing IT/ software market. Did you know that SLC (Silicon Slopes) is one of the highest yielding Venture Capital zones in the US? That should continue to grow. BYU and esp the U are really helping that along and the U has some amazing stuff going on technically.

I own a small technical company which I can relocate anywhere, so I don't need to line up work per se, but my wife is a Software Developer (junior) so we think her prospects should be good.

Back to CA, we like OC and SD a lot, but the reward vs. pain factor has gotten to a point where it does not make much sense to stay here anymore and while I don't want to make this political we just don't see eye to eye with the California politicians esp Jerry Brown.

When are you planning to move?
Well, I’m actually writing this response from salt lake (sandy actually)! I drove up here for a job interview, had the option to fly but decided I like the road trip idea better.

Every time I come here I can’t believe how much it has changed, some for the better and some for the worse. I don’t know if it is because I have lived in SoCal for so long now but every time I come back I notice a lot more “shady” people here than ever before.

I stayed last night in the hotel Monaco downtown and got there after 10pm to check in and was immediately approached by an obviously “troubled” person asking if I could give her $20 to get back home to Vegas and in return she offered me some....eh...services! I couldn’t believe it, right outside of my hotel and other people standing there! Lol I had to laugh it off!

Maybe I just didn’t notice this type of thing 13 years ago when we lived in SLC before?
You mentioned Denver... I was actually born in Denver and Denver definitely has a much more dense populace and the Rocky Mountains are close but honestly, despite everything I still prefer Utah/SLC, it just has a more homey vibe to it, always has, despite its few drawbacks.
You are lucky with your job situation and definitely right about the IT jobs. They are abundant in SLC and especially in Utah county (Provo/Orem). I’ve actually lived in Orem and despite what everyone says I had no problems at all and I’m not LDS!

We (wife and I)also like SoCal a lot and live in a very nice area in studio city with universal studios, plenty of shopping and a ton of nice restaurants all within walking distance. To be honest it will be hard to leave Studio city as we’ve been here for awhile now and it is very much home to us but as you say, the reward vs pain factor is the determinant in and for the long run.

We don’t really have a set time planned to move, basically it’ll be after I find and secure a decent job in the SLC area... we are hoping to make the move before winter though.

Well, it’s time a stopped writing and start driving... starting back to Los Angeles in a few minutes, just had to make a quick stop off at a very peaceful Barnes and noble in Sandy, right off of state st, for a cup of coffee and just to relax a bit before starting the drive back. Stopping off here is one of my rituals every time I come to SLC. Discovered this place many years ago and really enjoy being able to relax without wall to wall people like in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or