U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,874 times

Advertisements

My son & I are moving to SLC in May. I've done extensive research for housing & transportation. I contacted the Visitor's Center & TRAX for maps. TRAX has a lot of maps on line but still can be a bit confusing for someone who has never used public ground transportation (other than a taxi).

We have lived all over the U.S. and this will be our shortest move (distance), however seems to be the most stressful. We are moving for my son to attend the University as they offer the best degree in his field of interest and the area offers the best outdoor opportunities.

I am finding housing to be on the slightly higher side than we are accustomed to and as we are on a tight budget with my son & I paying for his college (he doesn't want a lot of student loans) I'm finding affordable housing challenging. Can anyone suggest good areas to look? We would like to be within 45 minutes, at the most, from the University of Utah. We're looking for a safe neighborhood, we do NOT desire college/party areas. I've checked Zillow, Rent.com, Apartments.com & even Craigslist (not advisable). If it helps we are looking for a 2 Bedroom or small house for $900 or less/month. We are not interested in purchasing or rent to own.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thank you & we are very much looking forward to a new chapter in our lives in Salt Lake City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 05:00 PM

22,288 posts, read 22,853,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Bound View Post
My son & I are moving to SLC in May. I've done extensive research for housing & transportation. I contacted the Visitor's Center & TRAX for maps. TRAX has a lot of maps on line but still can be a bit confusing for someone who has never used public ground transportation (other than a taxi).

We have lived all over the U.S. and this will be our shortest move (distance), however seems to be the most stressful. We are moving for my son to attend the University as they offer the best degree in his field of interest and the area offers the best outdoor opportunities.

I am finding housing to be on the slightly higher side than we are accustomed to and as we are on a tight budget with my son & I paying for his college (he doesn't want a lot of student loans) I'm finding affordable housing challenging. Can anyone suggest good areas to look? We would like to be within 45 minutes, at the most, from the University of Utah. We're looking for a safe neighborhood, we do NOT desire college/party areas. I've checked Zillow, Rent.com, Apartments.com & even Craigslist (not advisable). If it helps we are looking for a 2 Bedroom or small house for $900 or less/month. We are not interested in purchasing or rent to own.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thank you & we are very much looking forward to a new chapter in our lives in Salt Lake City.
Try ksl.com. It's a very commonly used substitute for Craigslist in this area. I hope you will be able to find a two-bedroom place for under $900 a month, but to be perfectly honest, that's not going to be easy. Pretty much everywhere in the Salt Lake Valley is going to be within 45 minutes of the University of Utah. The "red line" goes all the way from downtown to the "U" and the green and blue lines will take you into town from various parts of the city, where it's possible to transfer to the red line. Your cheapest rents will probably be in West Valley City, but will also be the least desirable in terms of safety and overall quality of life (unless you go to the far west side of West Valley City). If you find some potential places, you could post the addresses here and maybe we could advise you based on that information.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:03 PM

903 posts, read 728,700 times
Or Zillow.com. I personally think it will be a big ask. My husband was living in Murray which has trax but rent at lowest was $1100 and that was an apartment. Even an area like West Jordan on the west side is gaining popularity. SLC getting quite pricey especially for rentals as a hot rentals market at the moment and supply outstripping demand as alot of people are moving in from out of state due to the influx of big companies and the low tax incentives for business. The thing is alot stay in the state who were born there and buy to stay near family.

In the 2 years we lived there rents have gone crazy and were not that cheap to begin with when we arrived in 2015 and we were at the start of the boom ! Good luck with your search and may find in next few months people move around for schools etc which finish in June

Old 04-16-2018, 05:02 AM

209 posts, read 110,453 times
Unless you meet the income requirements to qualify for low income housing, it's going to be extremely difficult finding two bedrooms anywhere in Salt Lake County for your budget. Shared living quarters or off the books walkout basement units found on Facebook groups are a real possibility, but will be harder to search for.

Bountiful will probably be your best bet as for the closest proximity. It's a 10-15 minute drive to the university and the longest part of your commute will be the high traffic areas within a 3 mile radius of the school campus. You won't be staying in the nicest or newest apartments in bountiful, but chances are they'll be much nicer than anything in the Salt Lake valley.

Other options: Anywhere in Utah, Davis, Weber, or Tooele County, but Provo/Orem area may be cheaper, cleaner, and safer. It may be a good idea to stay in a place that has a Trax/FrontRunner line running through it because your son will get a free pass for being a student.

This is a Facebook post I saw yesterday. It's in Payson which is 15 miles south of Provo. I'm only showing you this to give you an idea of how drastically prices change between the Provo/Orem area vs SLC. Payson's hour commute is outside of your requirement, but Provo pricing isn't that much different and Provo's commute time does fall within 45 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Housing in SLC Area-2018-04-16_03.59.53.jpg  

Old 04-30-2018, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,874 times
Thank you all for the helpful info. I am finding pay is significantly lower & housing much more expense than the Phoenix area.
We are planning a trip to SLC in 2 weeks & check the area out and I'll look into the areas you all have been so kind to share.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 PM

654 posts, read 501,433 times
All the best! I will, however, say - with respect - that the suggestion to live 15 miles South of Provo in Payson for a student to study at U of Utah is beyond insane. You would want to rethink the university to attend well before you even get to Provo.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:27 AM

364 posts, read 384,107 times
Are you getting instate rates for your kid at the U?

Old 05-01-2018, 01:46 PM

5,990 posts, read 3,216,694 times
KSL is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or