U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 03:24 PM

196 posts, read 563,126 times

Advertisements

Looking for any suggestions as to where in the city to stay for a couple of days. Just looking for a central place so we can get to the highway's easy and move around. Not sure what traffic is like in SLC, I know traffic coming from places like NYC Metro area, South Florida and sadly now Charlotte NC which is insanely horrible. All we are planning on doing is getting an overview of the city and it's surrounding areas.

We will be leaving for St. George and Flagstaff to visit and do the same then returning probably for one last day in the city and getting a place closer to the airport for a 4pm departure a week later.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 PM

23,596 posts, read 24,010,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post
Looking for any suggestions as to where in the city to stay for a couple of days. Just looking for a central place so we can get to the highway's easy and move around. Not sure what traffic is like in SLC, I know traffic coming from places like NYC Metro area, South Florida and sadly now Charlotte NC which is insanely horrible. All we are planning on doing is getting an overview of the city and it's surrounding areas.

We will be leaving for St. George and Flagstaff to visit and do the same then returning probably for one last day in the city and getting a place closer to the airport for a 4pm departure a week later.
The Hyatt Place in Cottonwood Heights couldn't possibly be more perfectly situated for easy access to anywhere in the Salt Lake valley, including the airport, downtown and the mountains. As a local, I've never stayed there, but it appears to have good reviews on Trip Advisor, and if you were able to get a room on the west side of the building, you'd have a great view of the entire valley. If you'd prefer to stay downtown, I'd suggest the Hotel Monaco, which is a wonderful hotel (I have actually stayed there).

Traffic will only be really bad (and as you say, bad is relative) during the morning and evening rush hours (i.e 6:30 - 8:30 AM and 4:30 - 6:30 PM).

Old 07-15-2018, 06:37 PM

Thank you... yes I agree it's relative. Last year when I visited PHX the family hated it, I made it a point to travel the roads at rush hour and I even drove around our corporate office at those hours to get a feel for the traffic and commute distances to various towns if I job opened up in that area. There was NONE but if you ask locals they would beg to differ. Phoenix so far to me is one of the BEST major metro areas for roadways and traffic. LOL never judge unless you have walked in another's shoes, or in this case vehicle! :-)

Old 07-15-2018, 06:39 PM

I am pretty sure our corporate Offices are in Logan, not quite sure since I have yet to see a job opening in Utah for my company yet. We are either very small in the region or the employees love it there and turnover is very small.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:03 AM

Sadly the Hyatt is only showing rooms at $320 for this week. Apparently something is going on since next week it shows $150 a night. Oh well...

Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 AM

2,457 posts, read 6,206,717 times
If you don’t want to stay right downtown, there are quite a few new hotels located in the International Center, which is located close to the airport. You can easily access I-80, I-15, and I-215 from there.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 AM

I will search for the International Center. Yes easy on and off to the interstates is probably best for us so we can get around quickly.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:39 PM

What exactly is the International center ? I am googling it and nothing much is coming up on the map other than it taking me to the south west area of the airport near 80.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:22 PM

23,596 posts, read 24,010,920 times
Here's another option really close to the Hyatt:

Residence Inn by Marriott Salt Lake City Cottonwood Heights/Holladay
6425 S 3000 E, Holladay, UT, 84121
855-239-9485

I'm recommending these with the idea of easy access to the Freeway. There's a lot going on in Salt Lake between July 20 and 24. July 24th is Pioneer Day. There's a huge parade downtown, plus a bunch of other stuff. I didn't even stop to think of that when I mentioned staying downtown. Given that fact, it would probably be a mistake.

The University Park Marriott might be another option. It's near University Medical Center and isn't too far from the entrance/exit of the I-215 freeway. I hear it's very nice.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:42 PM

222 posts, read 135,191 times
So do you want to stay in SLC or Logan? Cottonwood Heights is about 80 miles away from Logan and 15 miles from downtown Salt Lake City. If you plan on renting a car, you'll be fine in that location, you just need to add an extra 15-20 minutes to your commute if you plan on going anywhere other than the ski resorts. Any other mode of transportation may prove problematic because that particular hotel isn't exactly near anything touristy except for the aforementioned ski resorts.

For me personally, if I were to visit SLC, I would stay in any positively reviewed hotel in downtown SLC that's East of 300 W, anywhere in Sugarhouse that's close to I-80, or any hotel near the Maverik center in West Valley City. The reason for these specific places are outlined below.

All three locations are central and adjacent to a freeway, more noteworthy is their close proximity to an area known as the spaghetti bowl which is the central routing of all Salt Lake County freeways. In either of these three locations, you're a 25-30 minute drive away from pretty much everywhere most people in the area go; Lehi/American Fork, Ogden, Tooele, Park City, all corners of the Salt Lake Valley, and the SL Valley ski resorts.

Cottonwood Heights is close to the SL Valley ski resorts, you're looking at a 20 minute drive up a beautiful canyon. It's 20 minutes away from the Spaghetti bowl. There's a freeway on ramp across from the hotel which is the Eastern most portion of I-215 which is a freeway shaped in a big square that goes around the valley. That hotel is right at the South Eastern corner of the square which, along with the North Western corner, puts you smack dab in the middle of nowhere a tourist should ever be unless they're specifically going somewhere in that area (ski resorts).

Public transportation:

All three locations are near trains that will run you all along the Wasatch Front. There are more bus options in these areas as well, but I wouldn't ride the bus anywhere except to a train station if I were you.

Cottonwood Heights is kind of far from the trains, but the bus can get you to a train station in about an hour.

Walking distance to shopping/eating:

Sugarhouse has a little shopping area, I don't know if this would be considered "downtown Sugarhouse", but it's a little strip about 1 square mile which has a pretty good amount of shopping/eating locations in it. There's also a Walmart about two miles East of this shopping area. Now, I'm not normally the type of guy that walks into Walmart, but there's only two Walmarts in Utah that I'll gladly set foot in and Sugarhouse is one of them (Riverton is the other) because nobody, I mean NOBODY goes there which means no lines, everything is clean, and nobody will see you.

West Valley's Maverik Center area is kind of in the center of West Valley and is near Valley Fair Mall a quarter mile West which is a newly renovated mall that has a decent amount of shopping and eating places. A quarter mile East has some dining options and well, it's older and a bit more ethnic. It's going to be mostly Vietnamese and Mexican restaurants, but they're all quite good. There's no shortage of Pho, Tacos, or Sushi in that part of the valley and there's one restaurant I frequent which is called Bucket o Crawfish that serves crawfish Asian-Cajun style (commonly found in Texas) that's really good.

Downtown - You're pretty much within walking distance of whatever you want.

Cottonwood Heights - Been a while since I've lived in that area, but IIRC, Hyatt place is within walking distance of two restaurants. One is a place called Market Street Grill, the other is Tuscany which is an Italian restaurant. There's also a 7-Eleven maybe a mile away. If you hop on the freeway, you're 5-10 minutes away from Murray and Midvale which will provide you with a lot more opportunities to shop/eat.

These three areas, well four counting Cottonwood Heights, will have different demographics. In West Valley you're going to encounter a LOT more diversity than anywhere else. If you've ever been to Houston, it's a lot like West Valley except West Valley is a lot smaller.

Downtown will have every type of person, but during the weekdays you're going to find mostly business oriented people since downtown comes to life for people going to work and kinda turns into a ghost town after hours. You'll encounter hundreds of panhandlers downtown and the majority of them will fall into a specific demographic which is Caucasian, aged 20-35, from middle class backgrounds, with a big sense of entitlement, and a heroin addiction; so don't give them any money.

Sugarhouse is mostly White, mixture of Mormons and people who complain about Mormons. A lot of people in this area try to emulate the people of Portland, so you'll find a lot of LGBTWTFBBQ vegans driving Subarus with ski racks.

Cottonwood Heights will be almost entirely White, almost entirely Mormon, and that won't matter much because it's all suburbs and you're probably not going to spend much time there unless you're going there specifically for something in the area.

Of those areas, as a first time visitor, I think Sugarhouse may be your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or