Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:55 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times

Advertisements

Thanks. We've been looking for well over 5 years. We've narrowed our search and may be buying in the next couple of weeks/months.

I'm tired of the rat race. We were driving the I-15 to a doctor appointment the other day and it reminded us both of living in LA - not a good memory.

It's time to get out of here....and enjoy coastal climate and semi-rural living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 02:39 PM

3,084 posts, read 2,213,841 times
All the best! We will also look at CA when we retire - although our lives here are OK.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:29 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Couple of points......

I have never lived in Houston - but family has. From a development position (and you may not care) it's a zoning MESS.

You need to look at a place with the longterm in mind. Do you want to buy a house? What's the market there? Are prices climbing or are they high already? Would you want to raise a family there?

Diversity. Yes, Utah is white majority. HOWEVER, in my current job we process passport applications. People from ALL OVER THE WORLD - yes, even Pakistan - have come into our offices. They want their children - born here in the US to have documentation proving citizenship.

All that said - even tho we are leaving for California shortly - I would choose Salt Lake. Get here and buy a house NOW.

Because it's only going to get more expensive and the quantity of available homes is limited.
Yes, Houston has no zoning. It bothers some people, but not others. It just depends on your preferences.

And no, just because you see people from other parts of the world doesnt make a city diverse. Houston is one of the most diverse cities on earth and has the nations second largest Pakistani population after NYC. Salt Lake City isnt anywhere close and never will be. There isnt any sugar coating that.

As to what each city does best. If you like to be outdoors, appreciate the beautiful scenery around SLC, and like seasons, but can make sacrifices on some big city amenities, SLC is the obvious choice. If you want a place with a lot more city like amenities, arts and culture, culinary scene, nightlife, diversity, etc. but can handle the heat, humidity and bland surroundings, Houston is a better choice.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:17 AM

234 posts, read 221,010 times
And by humidity, Houston is like Florida... take two showers a day, sweat while sleeping, etc.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:56 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
I've lived in both cities. SLC wins by a *wide* margin. The years I lived in Houston are years I wish I could get back and redo. Honestly I find Houston to be one of the single most generic, character-less cities in the nation. It also has among the worst weather in the country. Lots of crime. Zoning issues. Outdoor scenery and activities lack compared to SLC. I live in L.A. now, and I'd easily go back to SLC over Houston.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:19 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Salt Lake City

Old 10-24-2018, 07:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
...We were driving the I-15 to a doctor appointment the other day and it reminded us both of living in LA - not a good memory....
I noticed that about SLC the last couple times I was through there, except I was on I-80. I hadn't been through the city for several years at that point, and I couldn't believe the traffic. But it wasn't stop and go or idle through like I've often seen LA. No, it was 80 mph and you'd better not slow down or you'll create a traffic hazard. The highway was fast, but so busy it was hard to switch lanes and a little difficult to catch the signs in time to be in the right lanes at the right times. Someone familiar with the highways wouldn't have a problem, but for those going through for the first time? Whew!

Might have partly just been me, as I haven't driven in big city traffic much in the past 20 years. (Is this a sign I'm getting too old to drive in that kind of traffic?) SLC used to be a handful to get through because I-80 and I-15 weren't finished through the city -- detour here, detour there, detour, detour, detour. That was a little aggravating, but now it's scary!

Old 10-24-2018, 10:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I know Houston well. Salt Lake City wins by a mile, it's not even close. For the life of me I can't imagine anybody actually wanting to live in Houston unless they grew up there and had never been anywhere else. No mountains, no ocean, horrible weather, utterly flat. Just make sure you live in SLC proper, not out in the endless suburban sprawl.
The Gulf Of Mexico is less than hour away in Galveston and Houston is also a port city. The Port of Houston is the busiest port in the United States in terms of foreign tonnage and 2nd busiest in overall tonnage and 16th busiest port in the world. So it's not like Houston is landlocked. Houston is also the most diverse city in the United States, even more so than New York City and Los Angeles, so you can be sure it's gonna have some of the best restaraunts of all varieties found in the entire country located there. Houston is definitely a foodies paradise. Houston and Tampa climates are going to be fairly similar. Houston also has all the major professional sports. Houston has plenty to offer a young person just starting out. It ain't perfect but no place is. I'm sure Salt Lake City has it's share of things that most locals would rather not deal with. Like shoveling snow so you can get your vehicle out of the driveway several times a winter can get old real fast and be real pain the back side. I'd rather deal with high temperatures and high humidty than ice, cold and snow. It's much easier to beat the heat in the summer than it is to keep warm in the winter. Dressing in layers to go out side is not only time consuming, but it's also another winter time hassle. I'll take a winter day in the sun when it's 71 degrees in Houston over that same winter day when it's 5 degrees below zero in the sun in Salt Lake City.

All that said, based on what the op is hoping to find in his new city, I think he would be best to give Salt Lake City a try and see how it goes. He'll never regret it. Howwever he might one day very much regret not giving Salt Lake City a try. If it doesn't work out for him, it's never too late to give Houston a try as Houston is almost always in a constant state of boom and the pay is good. Houston is one of the best towns in the country for a person who wants to start over to go to.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-24-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 01:59 AM

84 posts, read 105,686 times
Salt Lake City area wins by a light year, unless you are put off by the mormon stronghold.
SLC has as good or better food options, excluding seafood of course.

SLC weather is 100x better, regardless of the colder and snowier winters.

If you want better weather, live on far southern suburbs of SLC and as low in elevation as possible (suburbs of Provo or even farther out).

Old 10-26-2018, 02:37 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryTucson View Post
SLC has as good or better food options, excluding seafood of course.
No and this isnt even close. Salt Lake City has no where near the quality of food Houston does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area