Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:13 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,691,459 times

Advertisements

We just got back from visiting Utah for the first time and wow! We were not expecting what we saw. We helped our daughter move into her apartment in Provo because she will be attending UVU in the spring and wanted to get settled in. First, let me say that the drive from Arizona picked up exponentially once we crossed into Utah. The scenery was always changing and the snow-capped mountains were fantastic.

Once my daughter was settled we decided to drive to the Capitol. I had been curious about Salt Lake City for some time after hearing mixed reviews from friends and online posters. The city, though small, packs a lot! I loved the upbeat attitudes and the fact that the residents appeared to be active. The traffic wasn't as bad as I anticipated (coming from Phoenix) and the weather was perfect. Seeing the fall colors made my heart glad. We were hungry and stopped for a bite to eat at a buffet called Chuck-a something? Anyways, the food was good and the people were friendly. We struck up a conversation with a young couple who had recently moved to the city. You could see their excitement grow when telling us a list of things to do and see.

Your fine city caught this desert guy off guard and, needless to say, we are planning to visit again real soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:46 AM

27,930 posts, read 29,774,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
We just got back from visiting Utah for the first time and wow! We were not expecting what we saw. We helped our daughter move into her apartment in Provo because she will be attending UVU in the spring and wanted to get settled in. First, let me say that the drive from Arizona picked up exponentially once we crossed into Utah. The scenery was always changing and the snow-capped mountains were fantastic.

Once my daughter was settled we decided to drive to the Capitol. I had been curious about Salt Lake City for some time after hearing mixed reviews from friends and online posters. The city, though small, packs a lot! I loved the upbeat attitudes and the fact that the residents appeared to be active. The traffic wasn't as bad as I anticipated (coming from Phoenix) and the weather was perfect. Seeing the fall colors made my heart glad. We were hungry and stopped for a bite to eat at a buffet called Chuck-a something? Anyways, the food was good and the people were friendly. We struck up a conversation with a young couple who had recently moved to the city. You could see their excitement grow when telling us a list of things to do and see.

Your fine city caught this desert guy off guard and, needless to say, we are planning to visit again real soon!
Cool! Let us know when you start planning your visit and we'll be happy to suggest some fun things to do. I volunteer at the Salt Lake City visitors' center and LOVE to talk to tourists.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Cool! Let us know when you start planning your visit and we'll be happy to suggest some fun things to do. I volunteer at the Salt Lake City visitors' center and LOVE to talk to tourists.
Will do! I will make sure to stop by the visitors' center next time we are there!

Old 10-16-2018, 02:39 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,807,077 times
Quote:
We helped our daughter move into her apartment in Provo because she will be attending UVU in the spring and wanted to get settled in...Your fine city caught this desert guy off guard and, needless to say, we are planning to visit again real soon!
Utah has so much beauty it is breathtaking. Salt Lake City is a great city - highly underrated IMHO.

What is your daughter going to study? They have some very good programs!

Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Utah has so much beauty it is breathtaking. Salt Lake City is a great city - highly underrated IMHO.

What is your daughter going to study? They have some very good programs!
It is beautiful and i haven't stopped talking about it since we left! My daughter is enrolled in the Family Studies program. UVU has a nice campus.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 PM

9,344 posts, read 6,904,591 times
Quote:
It is beautiful and i haven't stopped talking about it since we left! My daughter is enrolled in the Family Studies program. UVU has a nice campus.
If she had time she can take a drive up the alpine loop before fall is over. You can enter in Spanish Fork Canyon by Timpanogas caves or I prefer going up the Provo Canyon entrance by Sundance (especially to avoid the construction traffic). The fall foliage is nice although we had a cold snap recently which may have cause the tress to shed their colors prematurely. Great hikes and a nice drive but it can get a bit tight up there.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
If she had time she can take a drive up the alpine loop before fall is over. You can enter in Spanish Fork Canyon by Timpanogas caves or I prefer going up the Provo Canyon entrance by Sundance (especially to avoid the construction traffic). The fall foliage is nice although we had a cold snap recently which may have cause the tress to shed their colors prematurely. Great hikes and a nice drive but it can get a bit tight up there.
I'm tempted to travel back there to see more of the foliage and hike a few of the trails. Can you tell me anything about Utah Lake? I was surprised there wasn't a lot of boating activity on it?

Old 10-17-2018, 11:01 PM

14,349 posts, read 14,161,665 times
Quote:
I'm tempted to travel back there to see more of the foliage and hike a few of the trails. Can you tell me anything about Utah Lake? I was surprised there wasn't a lot of boating activity on it?
There isn't much positive to say about Utah lake. Its shallow. Its full of algae. People do boat on it, but IMO its not a desirable place for recreation. I guess its better than in the old days when the old Geneva Steel plant sat right on the shores putting out smoke and soot, but that's about the best thing I can say.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:19 AM

9,344 posts, read 6,904,591 times
Quote:
Gross lakes between Utah and Salt Lake!

I would suggest the reservoirs east of the Wasatch toward Heber.... Jordanelle, Dear Creek, Strawberry, and Pineview are all great for boating/fishing/swimming. There is also Bear Lake and flaming Gorge if you can travel a bit north and east of SLC.

Next summer you daughter could try a float trip down the Provo river which is always fun (but cold).

Old 10-18-2018, 08:50 AM

27,930 posts, read 29,774,299 times
Quote:
I'm tempted to travel back there to see more of the foliage and hike a few of the trails.
I really think it's too late to be able to see much in the way of fall foliage. I'd wait till next year for that. The weather at this time of year is so "iffy" that there may not even be much good hiking for that much longer.

Quote:
Can you tell me anything about Utah Lake? I was surprised there wasn't a lot of boating activity on it?
Neither Utah Lake nor the Great Salt Lake would be your best choices for water recreation. Instead, I'd check out some of the reservoirs that SWFL_Native suggested instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area