Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:06 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Just stay in Philly if your are afraid of speaking to "conservatives". Really is a stupid thing to worry about.
I rather doubt the OP is coming back. He posted once and then never again. Serious inquiries generally involve a back and forth conversation, so perhaps his interest in the area isn't as serious as we have all assumed. Still, if I were him, I'd worry a lot more about people trying to put words in my mouth than anything else. How you managed to read "preferably a vibrant semi-urban setting with a Liberal social mindset" as "afraid of speaking to conservatives" is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 09:47 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I rather doubt the OP is coming back. He posted once and then never again. Serious inquiries generally involve a back and forth conversation, so perhaps his interest in the area isn't as serious as we have all assumed. Still, if I were him, I'd worry a lot more about people trying to put words in my mouth than anything else. How you managed to read "preferably a vibrant semi-urban setting with a Liberal social mindset" as "afraid of speaking to conservatives" is beyond me.
I had a similar reaction. But to beat a dead horse, I suspect that the OP is seeking a community with the least possible residents that would make the logical leap you pointed out.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:34 AM

163 posts, read 318,137 times
I'm late to the thread (as usual), but fully in agreement with those who pointed out that it may not be worth the extended commute required to live in a liberal Salt Lake City neighborhood while working in Provo.

What do others think about Bluffdale and Herriman? I came across a opinion piece that ranked them among the ten most liberal areas in Utah, and they are a lot closer to Provo...

Old 12-15-2018, 04:34 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcee499 View Post
I'm late to the thread (as usual), but fully in agreement with those who pointed out that it may not be worth the extended commute required to live in a liberal Salt Lake City neighborhood while working in Provo.

What do others think about Bluffdale and Herriman? I came across a opinion piece that ranked them among the ten most liberal areas in Utah, and they are a lot closer to Provo...
My first thought was that even if they are more liberal than most placed in Utah, I don't think they'd offer much in the way of a social life for a young, single person.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,664 times
Sugarhouse is great if you can afford mid price. Lots of mountains anywhere near SLC. I would probably stay away from downtown which is a disappointment, because once upon a time was my dream. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2018, 09:16 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
How you managed to read "preferably a vibrant semi-urban setting with a Liberal social mindset" as "afraid of speaking to conservatives" is beyond me.

It's not such a stretch. I take the OP's comment to mean: "preferably a place where people think like me (i.e., have a liberal social mindset)."

Old 12-29-2018, 10:13 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
You know these questions about looking for a "liberal" or a "conservative" area are getting more common.

I understand this is actually becoming something of a social trend. Many want to live only around people who think like they do.

I worry about the ramifications this has for the country. The word that comes to my mind is "polarization".

I do understand that a single, non-LDS perso, or a non-LDS family would be unhappy living in Utah County. However, that's different than picking your neighbors by their politics--if that's even what the OP means. The word "liberal" is bandied about too much with too little focus on meaning.

Still when DW and I moved to our home in Davis County we gave no thought to the politics of our neighbors. Despite the fact they are more conservative and religious than I am the move has been a happy one for us and I have fine neighbors.

Perhaps, we should all be cautious what we say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area