Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:54 AM

229 posts, read 217,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
As they say, De gustibus non est disputandum. I've been consistently disappointed by restaurant scene and have yet to be blown away. The chichi, upscale places here serve up what I'd say is just mid-market fare and often with an attitude of too-cool -- and I'm from New York. And if you crave Italian (whether northern or southern) you're just flat out of luck. Good Italian should be better than you could easily do at home. Here it's universally worse.
I’m not saying we have the best Italian but you don’t like Valters, Sicilia Mia, Cucina Toscana, or Caffe Molise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 11:55 AM

I find SLC’s restaurant scene rather robust for a city our size and I lived in Chicago for a good while. Portland’s and Dallas probably have more options for certain things but they are also larger cities.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:20 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berger12345 View Post
I’m not saying we have the best Italian but you don’t like Valters, Sicilia Mia, Cucina Toscana, or Caffe Molise?
Sicilia Mia is right in my neighborhood but I've never tried it. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to make it a point to go there. Also, Gracie's has a very good reputation, but I haven't been there either.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:14 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
I have to say that The Copper Onion and Current Fish and Oyster are among my absolute favorite restaurants. Communal down in Provo is also very good. The two dining rooms at Sundance are also reliably good in my experience. The worst experience I have had in Utah was at Grappa in Park City.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,070 times
So is the consensus that SLC has good restaurants for its size, or not? I'll admit, the food I had when I visited was fabulous, but I also cherry picked awesome restaurants (Current Fish & Oyster, Red Iguanas 2, Penny Anne's). The worry I had when driving around is it seemed like areas were all full of chains, not as many unique local restaurants. Do others feel this way?

With regards to SLC bikeability - I remember seeing a bunch of bike lanes during my stay there. Do you feel like people actually use them, or are they just kind of there but everyone drives?

Old 01-01-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearhamcat View Post
So is the consensus that SLC has good restaurants for its size, or not? I'll admit, the food I had when I visited was fabulous, but I also cherry picked awesome restaurants (Current Fish & Oyster, Red Iguanas 2, Penny Anne's). The worry I had when driving around is it seemed like areas were all full of chains, not as many unique local restaurants. Do others feel this way?

With regards to SLC bikeability - I remember seeing a bunch of bike lanes during my stay there. Do you feel like people actually use them, or are they just kind of there but everyone drives?
I feel like SLC has really good restaurants and there are new ones open all of the time. We have chains but there are dozens of great local restaurants of different cuisines. I try not to ever eat at chains if I do t have to. I ate Mexican yesterday and Indian today, going to a new local brewery tomorrow.

In terms of biking the closer you get into the city the more bikeable and walkable it becomes, you also have to know which streets to bike on. For instance most people drive on 7th east going north south, but don’t realize that both 6th and 8th east are designated bikeways set up for bikers. Also downtown some streets are really bikeable but some are still very car centric.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I have to say that The Copper Onion and Current Fish and Oyster are among my absolute favorite restaurants. Communal down in Provo is also very good. The two dining rooms at Sundance are also reliably good in my experience. The worst experience I have had in Utah was at Grappa in Park City.
My experience with Copper Onion has always been very mixed. One time great food but atrocious service. Next time good service but lukewarm food or some similar flaw.

As for seafood, I freely confess to being a kind of seafood snob. I've just spent too much time in places where seafood goes from sea to table the same day (Cape Cod, Maine, etc) so I don't bother elsewhere. I do realize that this isn't a reasonable standard.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:02 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berger12345 View Post
Offhand I can't recall whether I've been to those places or not. Will try. After a string of duds I stopped trying. Maybe they're good.

Much of my objection though, is that lots of these places are fancy, expensive, special occasion places with NY prices and even greater pretensions. To be fair, there ARE some good places. However, they simply aren't the mid-market "place around the corner" local restaurants that just happens to have great food for 1/3 less $$$ than the fancy places. It's either fancy or chains, and I've had some major disappointments in fancy places. Such mid-market restaurants DO abound in some areas. NY metro comes to mind. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm not in NY any more and didn't come here for the Italian. Still, when the topic arises I can't put a good face on it.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:33 PM

234 posts, read 221,202 times
Quote:
6th and 8th east are designated bikeways set up for bikers
Is this the divided streets that run down to Liberty Park ?

Old 01-07-2019, 09:06 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post

Restaurant & Bar options
1. Dallas, 2 (tie). Salt Lake City, 2 (tie). Portland

You couldn't be more wrong here. Portland's bar scene is 100x better than SLC's along with better food and restaurants. SLC sucks for bars and restaurants period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area