Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 10,513 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in relocating my family to SLC and had questions about public schools and which part of the metro area might be the best fit for us.

First, I have a son currently in kindergarten who is special needs (high functioning autism) and a daughter in pre-school (4 years old) who is neurotypical (not special needs). I want to buy a home in a top performing school district that supports both of our kiddos gifts and needs. I've heard good things about the special education services in SLC, specifically Canyons SD and parts of Davis and Granite SDs. I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations on high-performing school districts and/or elementary schools that have progressive and well resourced special education services (Inclusion, enough paraprofessional and therapeutic staff, individualized support in the classroom, etc.)?

Also, as a family, we are slightly left of center politically and even more so socially. We are older parents (mid 40's) with a young family and are easy going, creative, and open-minded (at least we think we are). We've heard this profile is a fit with many communities in the SLC area and that SLC is quite open to new residents like us. We want to make friends and build a community for ourselves and our kids. Can anyone suggest areas in the SLC metro area that might be a good or better fit for this purpose? We're not LDS (not particularly religious at all) but we are under the impression that this will not be a barrier in SLC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 01:21 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatono View Post
I'm interested in relocating my family to SLC and had questions about public schools and which part of the metro area might be the best fit for us.

First, I have a son currently in kindergarten who is special needs (high functioning autism) and a daughter in pre-school (4 years old) who is neurotypical (not special needs). I want to buy a home in a top performing school district that supports both of our kiddos gifts and needs. I've heard good things about the special education services in SLC, specifically Canyons SD and parts of Davis and Granite SDs. I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations on high-performing school districts and/or elementary schools that have progressive and well resourced special education services (Inclusion, enough paraprofessional and therapeutic staff, individualized support in the classroom, etc.)?

Also, as a family, we are slightly left of center politically and even more so socially. We are older parents (mid 40's) with a young family and are easy going, creative, and open-minded (at least we think we are). We've heard this profile is a fit with many communities in the SLC area and that SLC is quite open to new residents like us. We want to make friends and build a community for ourselves and our kids. Can anyone suggest areas in the SLC metro area that might be a good or better fit for this purpose? We're not LDS (not particularly religious at all) but we are under the impression that this will not be a barrier in SLC.
I'm sorry no one has responded to your post yet. Maybe this will get the ball rolling. Unfortunately my own kids are grown so I don't have any real first-hand knowledge of the schools today. I can, however, highly recommend Cottonwood Heights, which is part of the Canyons school district. I'm a Salt Lake City native who has lived in five different neighborhoods/suburbs within the Salt Lake metro area over my lifetime. We've been in Cottonwood Heights for 36 years now and I can't think of a better area for a young, non-LDS family.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:19 PM

338 posts, read 310,942 times
Quote:

OP, that first request is a tall order for this area. That, and the fact that many of the posters here have grown kids is probably why you haven't received much response.

Utah, and SLC specifically, have many great things going for it, but IMHO public schools of the caliber you are describing are not on that list. You are asking for progressive, and well resourced services? Prepare to be underwhelmed. Utah has both the highest class sizes in the nation, and the lowest per capita funding in the nation. Performance is nothing to brag about. There is also a teacher shortage. On the plus side, there is often a lot of parental involvement though. I personally am appalled at the obvious lack of security in the schools here.

FWIW, I have heard similar things to what you mentioned about Granite and Canyons districts when it comes to special needs (don't know about Davis). I doubt they are at the level you are seeking, but relative to this area yes they are "good". Lastly, at least for Granite and Canyons districts, you won't need to buy a home zoned at a top performing school, unless you just want to. If you live out of bounds you can apply for a special permit to attend a public school of your choice.

I wish you the best in your search.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
There is a private school in SLC, Carmen B. Pingree, which specializes in spec needs kids. COntact them and ask about services.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:39 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
I have nothing to add as my kiddos are not of school age nor have those needs. They will be attending private school here so I cannot comment on specific districts. When we lived in bountiful they have some of the best public schools in the state; however unsure how they do in handling your needs.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:27 PM

43 posts, read 50,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
There is a private school in SLC, Carmen B. Pingree, which specializes in spec needs kids. COntact them and ask about services.
SouthernBelleInUtah, I could be wrong, but I don't know that a kiddo with high functioning autism would need to have the level of services offered at Carmen Pingree. Further, I think it is private pay and not sure if they have spots.

Yeah - SLC is not really known for it's great schools. They ARE known for making good use with the limited funds they have, but no doubt about it many, many corners are cut. Many of the buildings are terribly old, unsafe (not earthquake proof, for example), many of the programs are very whittled down.
There ARE some decent schools, and I think some of the areas outside of the SL Valley may do a little better. Alpine? Lehi? Kaysville? Park City has waaaaay more funding but housing is an issue. We are in Cottonwood Heights. Canyons District. I have chosen not to put my kids at our neighborhood school because 1. there are barely any windows and it looks like a dungeon inside, and 2. they have cut out music, art, PE etc from their curriculum and just touch on a few things for 20 min once a week on a rotation schedule. They call it 'Brain Boosters' but in my opinion it's just a last ditch effort to appear that they have some sort of 'rounded' curriculum. I have one kiddo (13 - also HFA) in private school, and 2 middle kiddos go out of bounds, on open enrollment, to Granite District.

I believe that if your child has special needs that need addressed at school, it will be taken care of. It is required, and at least in our experience in Granite on the east side, most of the teachers and administration DO want to help you. But funds are very low, teachers are leaving, classes can be larger (but are not always).

It is challenging - after many years of touring schools, paying for private school, etc.,I am a firm believer that if you are looking for a specific thing with your childrens' school/s, it is not a 'one size fits all' answer. Different schools fill different needs and it all depends on what your kids need and what you want for them.

My 6 year old is also likely HFA (I have not bothered to have him tested) and apparently his teachers don't pick up on it at all. Which tells me that even though we are making a special effort to drive our kids out of bounds to a better public school, the teachers are still too overwhelmed (27 kids per class) and under resourced to spend enough time with my kiddo to see that he has some issues.

As for the rest, I would say Cottonwood Heights, maybe Sugarhouse, Millcreek or Olympus Cove, or farther up toward park city would be a good fit for your family...but I am sure there are other pockets. I'm just more familiar with those areas.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I'll move forward and investigate some of your recommendations- especially those in the Granite district. The primary sped requirement we're looking for is inclusion, meaning push in, services rather than primarily pull out services. I've spoken to Canyons and discovered that they're primarily pulling out (meaning removing the child from the mainstream classroom for special education). Thanks so much, again!

Old 02-04-2019, 02:51 PM

Thanks, SouthernBelle! I'm in conversation with Granite school district and am getting clues that Granite might offer the most progressive sped services in the SLC metro. You mentioned that you're sending your other two kidos to that district via open enrollment. Did you find a particular elementary school (or a few) that notably outperformed the others in that district?

Old 02-04-2019, 08:26 PM

43 posts, read 50,488 times
Quote:
Thanks, SouthernBelle! I'm in conversation with Granite school district and am getting clues that Granite might offer the most progressive sped services in the SLC metro. You mentioned that you're sending your other two kidos to that district via open enrollment. Did you find a particular elementary school (or a few) that notably outperformed the others in that district?
I think you are replying to me (grandisp)? not southernbelle? My middle two are in the granite district on open enrollment, yes. I would be happy to share the little bit of info I have - but can you private message me? am I 'private message-able'? i just don't feel comfortable advertising where my kids are going to school, very specifically, or too many details, on this very public forum.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Yeah, I don't live in SLC anymore and my kids are in their 50s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area