Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 PM

51 posts, read 35,635 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread in Wyoming forum. I planned to go to Yellowstone, but of course many told me that it is not a good time to go there, many parts of the park are already closed till the end of April.

Therefore, my trip is going to start in SLC, then I will drive to St George and Vegas. My question here is about SLC.

Of course, I googled the places in SLC, where to visit, what to do. I would like to ask the locals about any hidden gems of the city that I should consider visiting?

I will be staying in SLC for three days.

Two important questions also:

1- I would like to drive to WY to see the Utah Wyoming border (would like to take pictures with the states welcoming sign). Any suggestions? Also would do that with Idaho/ Utah state line.

2- I'd like to know more about the Mormons history, I saw that there is a church in SLC, but where can I meet Mormon people? I like to talk to people. Will it be possible?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
I80 has a welcome sign.

The temple in salt lake is where I’d go if you want to learn more about Mormonism and meet some. They have a family center the tabernacle and you can walk the perimeter of the temple.

There is also “this is the place” right across from the hogle zoo. It’s a “pioneer” village to mark where they came into the valley and proclaimed it their land. I would assume there is a sign in i15 border with Idaho but never paid attention as we went to Idaho.

I’m sure some other Utah’ns can provide more details than I.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:58 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteq View Post
I would like to ask the locals about any hidden gems of the city that I should consider visiting?
Personally, my favorite spot to visit in the Salt Lake Valley is Suncrest, in Draper. Its a housing development on top of a big hill on the salt lake/utah county border. The views up top are spectacular, especially if you can catch it at sunset. You can see the great salt lake, and utah lake both sparkling, and all the city lights on both sides of the mountain. I just drive up there and toward the western edge there are some benches and sitting areas that you can park at and observe. I've had dinner up there with a few friends. Really beautiful spot. There's probably still some snow up there this time of year. Bring a jacket. In the summertime, it's priceless.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I80 has a welcome sign.

The temple in salt lake is where I’d go if you want to learn more about Mormonism and meet some. They have a family center the tabernacle and you can walk the perimeter of the temple.

There is also “this is the place” right across from the hogle zoo. It’s a “pioneer” village to mark where they came into the valley and proclaimed it their land. I would assume there is a sign in i15 border with Idaho but never paid attention as we went to Idaho.

I’m sure some other Utah’ns can provide more details than I.

Thanks a lot. I80 that road that lead to the Border Marker (Utah/ Wyoming).

Old 03-23-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Personally, my favorite spot to visit in the Salt Lake Valley is Suncrest, in Draper. Its a housing development on top of a big hill on the salt lake/utah county border. The views up top are spectacular, especially if you can catch it at sunset. You can see the great salt lake, and utah lake both sparkling, and all the city lights on both sides of the mountain. I just drive up there and toward the western edge there are some benches and sitting areas that you can park at and observe. I've had dinner up there with a few friends. Really beautiful spot. There's probably still some snow up there this time of year. Bring a jacket. In the summertime, it's priceless.
Thanks!

Old 03-23-2019, 06:13 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Therefore, my trip is going to start in SLC, then I will drive to St George and Vegas. My question here is about SLC.
First of all, do you know the exact dates of your visit yet? I work at the Salt Lake City Visitors' Center twice a week, on Fridays and Saturdays, and would be Super happy to meet you and visit with you for a while if you on here on those days of the week. Up until the tourist season is in full swing (i.e. June), it's pretty slow at the center and I could probably give you my undivided attention for a short or as long a time as you wished.

Quote:
Of course, I googled the places in SLC, where to visit, what to do. I would like to ask the locals about any hidden gems of the city that I should consider visiting?
There are definitely a few, but the majority of the things worth seeing are things you'll probably find online (with exceptions of some of the restaurants).

I hope you're planning on visiting Bryce Canyon and Zion on your way to St. George. You didn't mention them, so I just want to make sure you plan to spend at least some time in each park, even if it means having to cut your stay in Salt Lake City a bit shorter.

Quote:
I will be staying in SLC for three days.

Two important questions also:

1- I would like to drive to WY to see the Utah Wyoming border (would like to take pictures with the states welcoming sign). Any suggestions? Also would do that with Idaho/ Utah state line.

2- I'd like to know more about the Mormons history, I saw that there is a church in SLC, but where can I meet Mormon people? I like to talk to people. Will it be possible?

Thank you!
I'm sure there is a sign along I-80 when you enter Utah. The problem is that this sign will be right off to the side of the interstate, and I'm not sure I'd suggest you stop your car there for pictures.

Temple Square is the perfect place to go to learn about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There are 15 buildings right on Temple Square or on the Church's adjacent property, all but two of which you are allowed to visit. (Unfortunately, the Temple itself is one of the two you cannot go in; the other is the Church Administration Building.) Of these 13 remaining buildings, I think you'd find 11 of them worth visiting. The Church History Museum would be your best bet for actually learning about LDS history, but volunteers in all of the other buildings would also be happy to answer questions for you. Most of them will spend as much time with you as you'd like. There are also two other Church-owned facilities a short drive away that are worth seeing (Welfare Square and the Humanitarian Center).

Of course, Temple Square is not the only place worth visiting in the city. I'd definitely recommend you visit the State Capitol Building and the Public Library, and at least stop in at the City Creek Center Mall (yeah, it's "just a mall," but quite unusual in its design and very beautiful). The Natural History Museum of Utah up on the University of Utah campus is mind-blowing, and if you like gardens, Red Butte Garden has an annual display of over a half million spring flowers in bloom at about the time you'll be here.

I love helping people visiting Salt Lake to get the most out of their visit, so depending on your personal interests, I bet I could really give you some great information to make your visit a really memorable one. I'll leave it at that for now, but feel free to ask me for more detail if you'd like.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-23-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 06:25 PM

[quote=Katzpur;54758433]
Quote:
Therefore, my trip is going to start in SLC, then I will drive to St George and Vegas. My question here is about SLC./quote]First of all, do you know the exact dates of your visit yet? I work at the Salt Lake City Visitors' Center twice a week, on Fridays and Saturdays, and would be Super happy to meet you and visit with you for a while if you on here on those days of the week. Up until the tourist season is in full swing (i.e. June), it's pretty slow at the center and I could probably give you my undivided attention for a short or as long a time as you wished.

There are definitely a few, but the majority of the things worth seeing are things you'll probably find online (with exceptions of some of the restaurants).

I hope you're planning on visiting Bryce Canyon and Zion on your way to St. George. You didn't mention them, so I just want to make sure you plan to spend at least some time in each park, even if it means having to cut your stay in Salt Lake City a bit shorter.

I'm sure there is a sign along I-80 when you enter Utah. The problem is that this sign will be right off to the side of the interstate, and I'm not sure I'd suggest you stop your car there for pictures.

Temple Square is the perfect place to go to learn about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There are 15 buildings right on Temple Square or on the Church's adjacent property, all but two of which you are allowed to visit. (Unfortunately, the Temple itself is one of the two you cannot go in; the other is the Church Administration Building.) Of these 13 remaining buildings, I think you'd find 11 of them worth visiting. The Church History Museum would be your best bet for actually learning about LDS history, but volunteers in all of the other buildings would also be happy to answer questions for you. Most of them will spend as much time with you as you'd like. There are also two other Church-owned facilities a short drive away that are worth seeing (Welfare Square and the Humanitarian Center).

Of course, Temple Square is not the only place worth visiting in the city. I'd definitely recommend you visit the State Capitol Building and the Public Library, and at least stop in at the City Creek Center Mall (yeah, it's "just a mall," but quite unusual in its design and very beautiful). The Natural History Museum of Utah up on the University of Utah campus is mind-blowing, and if you like gardens, Red Butte Garden has an annual display of over a half million spring flowers in bloom at about the time you'll be here.

I love helping people visiting Salt Lake to get the most out of their visit, so depending on your personal interests, I bet I could really give you some great information to make your visit a really memorable one. I'll leave it at that for now, but feel free to ask me for more detail if you'd like.
Thank you, this is helpful.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:38 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Quote:

Thank you!
You have already got some excellent answers, including the generous invite from Katzpur.

On question #1 - if it is the signs you want to see - I80 (UT-WY border) and I15 (UT-ID border) might be your best bet. However, route 89 towards ID - WY is beautiful to drive - particularly around bear lake. You can touch all 3 states and enjoy the beautiful scenery around bear lake. You could also circle back through Evanston, WY and take a picture of the sign on I80.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Gilgal Garden is not as well known but interesting in the city.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:10 PM

Hi all!

I've arrived to SLC this morning (early morning). I went to Eva's Bakery at first, the food was awesome!

SLC seems nice, calm, probably because it is Sunday and almost 80% of the shops and restaurants are closed! It reminded me of some parts of Europe when everything closes on Sundays!

After Eva's Bakery, I drove my rental car (got a free upgrade to a small SUV!), it was raining in SLC and decided to take route 80 to see Wyoming and Utah border. Unfortunately, just after 10 miles of driving (road supposed to be 80 miles) Snow fell! Probably because of the altitude because I ascended, I thought I should go back to SLC because it was risky.

Again, because SLC has been sleepy today, I thought of going to Idaho (Preston), you know it was only 100 miles and I got all day long ( Sun goes down around 7:50 PM. I drove almost 40 miles, it was raining which was OK with me, then I ascended and it started to snow!

I saw people drive normally, despite the snow. Do you think they got chains on the wheels? Where can I get them here in SLC? How can put it/ and how much does it usually cost? I am thinking of going to Idaho tomorrow!

Because I went back to SLC, I wanted to go to Salt Lake City Lake, I was using Google maps (or Apple maps? It was on my iPhone). And it took me to the airport!? Any suggestion on how to go there?

I am staying here until Wednesday afternoon. I got plenty of time!

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area