U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 AM

15,930 posts, read 27,802,651 times
JUst don't try using 3300 South or 39oo South right now. They are both under major construction with 1 lane open on each side for much of the way on the eastern side of Main St. In 3-lane areas it is down to 2-lane areas. I have given up on driving either one of them. They are laying some kind of concrete pipes (not sure) about 8 or 10 ft down, so there are huge holes to fall into in there is an accident.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM

5 posts, read 25,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
I have eliminated that area now. Does anybody know about Holladay? Specificially at 2700 east and 3900 south?
From my experience, that's a very decent area. I grew up near this area and it's near some of the best county schools (Olympus and Skyline High). I's just generally a nice area, from what I've seen of it.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:38 AM

4,169 posts, read 7,789,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
Although I already got a place and I can't back out now, how is the area around East Millcreek on S 2000 E, a few blocks north of 3300 S? It looks like a nice residential area, and it's just south of Sugarhouse, which I believe technically extends a bit south of Rt. 80? I've rented a very nice duplex there, and I was just hoping to get a little feedback about that area.

I noticed as you head west from there it gets not so nice, but hopefully that far east it's ok?
Interstate 80 is also undergoing major construction. When are you moving to Utah?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 PM

515 posts, read 1,389,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Interstate 80 is also undergoing major construction. When are you moving to Utah?
mid August. Yes, I just spent the last week driving all around that area, checking out Sugarhouse, E. Millcreek, Holladay, etc... I was staying in Murray. Yes, the construction is bad. I had wanted to live in Sugarhouse, but the place I got was so much nicer for the money than what I was finding there & I can still easily ride my bike to Sugarhouse or it's a 5 minute drive to 2100 S area.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:30 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,249,331 times
Been there done that. Stick to EAST of Highland Drive (about 1700 East) and you'll be fine. Otherwise all bets are off. It's been a changing area and is very questionable as you go West of Highland Dr. for the most part. The best is if you can find a small duplex or home East of 20th East....pretty darn nice up there.......

Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 AM

4,968 posts, read 4,781,495 times
Question Older Homes, or Specific Apt. Complex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
I have eliminated that area now. Does anybody know about Holladay? Specificially at 2700 east and 3900 south?
Yes. Safe area. Depends on what you are looking for and how much room you need.

Hope that helps.

Send me a PM if you want more info. I co-own property in that general area.

MSR

P.S. I can't say for sure without looking at a map, given how the 3 agencies came together to form the "Unified Area," if you would be in it or not. What is funny at least a bit further west, is one lives in Millcreek if one lives on the North side of 3900 South. If your residence is on the South side of 3900 South (right across from the other house I mentioned), that resident lives in Holladay.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:22 AM

550 posts, read 1,263,230 times
First off, the area around 41st S and 5th E isn't typically considered the same area as 39th and 7th W. The latter is borderline West Valley City (not quite but pretty close).

Also, it seems as if you want to live in a rather safe area, I'd use 7th East and eastward as a safe haven (or perhaps 9th East). That area in Holladay is definitely safe and affluent.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:19 AM

29 posts, read 96,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
Although I already got a place and I can't back out now, how is the area around East Millcreek on S 2000 E, a few blocks north of 3300 S? It looks like a nice residential area, and it's just south of Sugarhouse, which I believe technically extends a bit south of Rt. 80? I've rented a very nice duplex there, and I was just hoping to get a little feedback about that area.

I noticed as you head west from there it gets not so nice, but hopefully that far east it's ok?

I agree with the other posters. You should be just fine in that area. I grew up around 1900 East and 3600 South - just a few blocks away. My mother still lives in the area and I pass through daily. Maybe an occasional burglary but that's about the worst of it - of course that happens everywhere, especially the "nice" neighborhoods. After returning to SLC from living in California I made a point to settle in the Millcreek area and have been very happy I did so. Great schools, diverse neighbors, and easy access to freeways makes it ideal. Good choice!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:55 PM

515 posts, read 1,389,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsevrin View Post
I agree with the other posters. You should be just fine in that area. I grew up around 1900 East and 3600 South - just a few blocks away. My mother still lives in the area and I pass through daily. Maybe an occasional burglary but that's about the worst of it - of course that happens everywhere, especially the "nice" neighborhoods. After returning to SLC from living in California I made a point to settle in the Millcreek area and have been very happy I did so. Great schools, diverse neighbors, and easy access to freeways makes it ideal. Good choice!
Thanks, I'm looking forward to living there! I had originally wanted to be in Sugarhouse, but this is so close by...

Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 PM

76 posts, read 141,312 times
I recommend a website that's been really helpful to me in finding out where I want to live: crimereports.com Many of the police departments in cities in Salt Lake County have crime stats that are represented, but there are some departments missing (included departments are listed at the bottom).

I use the tool to avoid areas where there are mass concentrations of marks/incidents. When I looked at it, South Salt Lake and Midvale had the highest concentration of crime. The area mentioned at the beginning of the thread is what I consider South Salt Lake and in general not a good area, though I'm sure there are some okay pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area