Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 PM

111 posts, read 625,780 times

Advertisements

d_Random...while it's not nearly as racially diverse as Los Angeles, NY, and Chicago, there definitely are other races here other than Caucasian...especially within Salt Lake City itself...we went to a Costco once in SLC and it seriously felt like the Costco back in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles.

You'll also see a lot of mixed-race families as it's been my observation that plenty of Utah families adopt from different countries - Haiti, Guatemala, China...etc. I've seen more of these mixed-race families due to adoption than I have in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 04:18 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Define boring...then I'll let ya know.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:48 PM

150 posts, read 474,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
I've never been, but I have seen hundreds of photos, it looks like white-bread city USA. Is SLC as boring as it looks?
Yes, especially if you crave excitement or nightlife. Not a whole lot of it in SLC.

However, if you're into winter sports and the great outdoors, Utah has plenty to offer. It's not as urbanized as other states, and you can easily get to national parks.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:48 PM

521 posts, read 1,628,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
What's with all the stupid, negative responses who say that Salt Lake City is boring? What, do you expect every city to be like New York?
Stupid negative responses? Stupid, no. Negative, yes but with reason. The city is boring and has no soul. Nobody expects Salt Lake to be like New York. But with population density, nice trolley system, and two major league teams, it should be resembling Denver Colorado more than it does Boise Idaho.

Last edited by wesside; 04-28-2008 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: adding stuff

Old 05-02-2008, 03:17 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Stupid negative responses? Stupid, no. Negative, yes but with reason. The city is boring and has no soul. Nobody expects Salt Lake to be like New York. But with population density, nice trolley system, and two major league teams, it should be resembling Denver Colorado more than it does Boise Idaho.
even boise beats salt lake city when it comes to "soul" and vibrancy.. I think you hit the nail on the head.. salt lake has the shell.. but nothing of substance other than historical and church stuff. Once you've seen all that.. there's really no draw to go there again. I was moving from seattle for a smaller area that is more affordable and was looking between boise and salt lake.. and needless to say I chose boise

Old 05-05-2008, 06:32 PM

521 posts, read 1,628,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
even boise beats salt lake city when it comes to "soul" and vibrancy.. I think you hit the nail on the head.. salt lake has the shell.. but nothing of substance other than historical and church stuff. Once you've seen all that.. there's really no draw to go there again. I was moving from seattle for a smaller area that is more affordable and was looking between boise and salt lake.. and needless to say I chose boise
Didnt mean to diss on Boise. Im sure its a great place. I havent had the pleasure of visiting it. Just so happened that Boise was the first city to pop in my head.

But I made the comparison because Salt Lake has the looks of a larger scaled metropolitan area. Its tall buildings, the trolley, two major league teams. It certainly could be comparable and in the same league as Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, etc. The people here sure like to think its in the upper echelon of cities.
Boise seems smaller. Not quite a metropolitan area. Not yet at least.

But like I said, with such nice environment, low crime, its a damn shame that the alcohol nazi's have sucked up all the night life from an area that has so great potential.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 AM

35 posts, read 155,385 times
I'm looking forward to the alcohol situation. I don't drink and it will be a refreshing change coming from the East Coast. I guess I'm just getting old and not enjoying the bar scene anymore.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:58 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydayz37 View Post
I'm looking forward to the alcohol situation. I don't drink and it will be a refreshing change coming from the East Coast. I guess I'm just getting old and not enjoying the bar scene anymore.
not a problem. everyone has their own cup of tea. in some places that tea is alcohol, and in others, it isn't. i'm not a drinker, so it really doesn't bother me.

my cup of tea is the redrock. i can't get enough of it. i've probably even driven under the influence a couple of times...

Old 05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
my cup of tea is the redrock. i can't get enough of it. i've probably even driven under the influence a couple of times...
Excellent!! Me too! (You got reps for that.) Love that redrock juxtaposed against snow-capped alpine peaks.
SLC is no NYC. If you want NYC...or LA...or Chicago...or Boston, move there. Fact of the matter is that SLC has what you need...restaurants, shopping, schools, bars, etc.
And it's got a whole lot more going for it than those things. If you don't know what I mean, walk outside and look around at what you are surrounded by in the Salt Lake Valley!! Move to SLC for the backcountry action. Move to NYC for the downtown action. Beautiful thing about SLC is that you aren't limited to just the "city" of SLC. There's so much variety within easy reach!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 PM

20 posts, read 115,347 times
I have never been to Salt Lake City, I do have a good friend who went to college there. While she was in SLC, I guess there was a billboard with a gymnast on it. The gymnast was wearing a leotard. There was such an uproar about this sign that they had to take it down. To much skin, I suppose. Call 911, I guess. I have been to other towns in Utah, must say not my cup o tea!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area