Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 PM

95 posts, read 380,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuturbo View Post
Listing Betos (does it even exist anymore? i thought rancheritos took over all the locations) Albertos, and Astro burger are NOT helping to illustrate that SLC may have some decent ethnic cuisine. There are better suited places for mention in this category,

You are very right,
I was just thinking of places I like I guess, but The mexi and Greek places are the ethnic places I was suggesting I suppose,
I believe Betos does still exsist , at least it did when I lived there 5 months ago, there is one Downtown, two off state, and one in American Fork,
Rancheritos tho is just as good if not better then Betos anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
I've been all around this country and while Salt Lake City is not "heaven on earth" it is a much nicer place than many people want to give it credit for. Its truly a clean city in the sense that you don't find garbage laying around and you don't find hordes of vacant battered buildings. Most of the neighborhoods are well kept. Violent crime is fairly low compared to most places. There are abundant outdoor recreational opportunities in the mountains east of the city in both winter and summer. Temple Square is beautiful at Christmas with all the lights. The Utah Symphony, the Ballet, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir are all groups Utahns can be very proud of. Few cities the size of Salt Lake can boast of a professional basketball team like the "Jazz".

Yes, the liquor laws are a bit strange and yes the party scene probably isn't what it is in other places. However, if this is your criteria for judging a locality, you better live somewhere else.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
OK, I figured it out ...

There is the group that says : It is boring,
and the other group that says, nope, not boring.

I think the first group is the younger group,
the second one is the older group,
agewise ...

Or I could say, group two are the *Rebels without a cause*,
Group one are the *Rebels without a clue* ....

Just way different people, a few years can make ....

Hmmm ... needless to say, I am in group 2 ...
- I seldom go downtown .., no need to ...
I can get everything I need (not want) withing 10 minutes driving,
I have a 3/4 acre spread, only 20 minutes from *Downtown* ....
and even do not live close to *the benches* ....
- I hate crowds ... especially those that have to consume alcohol before they even begin to feel good ...
- I am a pilot and love to fly, with nobody around to spoil my *being alone up there*,
with my fellow pilots at least 100 feet away from me.
Where else can you drive a car for hours and see *nothing* .. but ...
If you fly, then you see forever and everything !!!!

Really strange phenomenon. My kids could not wait until they graduated from college to get out of here ..
Guess what, after a few years, they all came back and love it here ...
go figure ....

Nope .. If you think it is boring here, then go away,
Utah will not miss you. Nobody *made* you come here .. or,
were you only able to find a job here because nobody else would offer you *anything better* elsewhere ... ?
Well that would be really boring!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:43 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
Yeah, SouthernBelle, I knew about that "wanna be" Jewish Deli. That stuff isn't the REAL deal like I meant. As I say that is just one thing not available around here. But I'll agree with one of the other posters, I think the Salt Lake area is quickly becoming the "Burger Capitol" of the country. We do have IMHO some of the better burger places thanks to the Greeks. Astro, Apollo and Crown are about as good as it gets. Their fry's are #1 on my list they are the only place that isn't using those disgusting coated french frys like all the fast food places have gone to. Even Carl's Jr. suck now. Oh well. I do like restaurants like "The Noodle Company" and "GoodWood". I'm not into Mexican so that leaves a lot out for me. Much of those listed by others are WAY expensive, but that could be why they tend to weed out the kiddie crowd. Guess mom and dad won't drag the gaggle of brats out to dinner with them to a steakhouse where the average meal is over $20.00 a head and they don't have kiddie menus. I'll have to try a few of those.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Yeah, SouthernBelle, I knew about that "wanna be" Jewish Deli. That stuff isn't the REAL deal like I meant. .........
Sorry, I've never been there, just pass it. For that matter, I'd probably not know a "real" Jewish deli if I saw one. It looked real from the outside, LOL.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Yeah, SouthernBelle, I knew about that "wanna be" Jewish Deli. That stuff isn't the REAL deal like I meant. As I say that is just one thing not available around here. But I'll agree with one of the other posters, I think the Salt Lake area is quickly becoming the "Burger Capitol" of the country. We do have IMHO some of the better burger places thanks to the Greeks. Astro, Apollo and Crown are about as good as it gets. Their fry's are #1 on my list they are the only place that isn't using those disgusting coated french frys like all the fast food places have gone to. Even Carl's Jr. suck now. Oh well. I do like restaurants like "The Noodle Company" and "GoodWood". I'm not into Mexican so that leaves a lot out for me. Much of those listed by others are WAY expensive, but that could be why they tend to weed out the kiddie crowd. Guess mom and dad won't drag the gaggle of brats out to dinner with them to a steakhouse where the average meal is over $20.00 a head and they don't have kiddie menus. I'll have to try a few of those.
Rumbi is also really good, in that catagory of fast food+, little bit nicer (Carribean type food). What's killing me is those damn sweet potato fries and the "fry sauce" - so good!!! I was fine without eating fries, but now this stuff has me hooked!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 27,157 times
Default Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
I've never been, but I have seen hundreds of photos, it looks like white-bread city USA. Is SLC as boring as it looks?
If you like the outdoors and love to ski, it is great!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 PM

95 posts, read 380,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
Rumbi is also really good, in that catagory of fast food+, little bit nicer (Carribean type food). What's killing me is those damn sweet potato fries and the "fry sauce" - so good!!! I was fine without eating fries, but now this stuff has me hooked!

I f I was eating in Salt LAKE, I would not dare tend a corp restaurant, if you do I think you are missing out, mentioning a place like Rumbi is a bit of lame to me, Salt LAKE has so much more to offer other then specs and quotas..

If you know what I mean.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:57 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAN24 View Post
I f I was eating in Salt LAKE, I would not dare tend a corp restaurant, if you do I think you are missing out, mentioning a place like Rumbi is a bit of lame to me, Salt LAKE has so much more to offer other then specs and quotas..

If you know what I mean.
I'm not talking about a nice place to eat out - I was responding to the post about good burgers and fast food. Where I come from, the catagory of place like Rumbi doesn't really exist - it's either McDonalds or "real" sit down restaurants. Here there are quite a few in that in between catagory and many have decent quality, reasonable priced food.
I wasn't suggesting that for a great dining experience in Salt Lake someone should check out Rumbi!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 AM

28 posts, read 40,346 times
Does anyone actually eat in or do home cooking in utah? LOL Not that i'm good in that area but i'm curious if i'm to live there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area