U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2006, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,417 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job Feb. 1 in Salt Lake City. I'm 23, a new college grad, who grew up in Cleveland & attended college in the east. Any suggestions for apartments / areas to live where there would be 20 to 30 year olds (single people also)? Also, is traffic congestion much of a problem on any of the freeways during morning commutes? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 06:59 AM

56 posts, read 228,121 times
Cleve06-

Congrats on graduating. First, the easy part ... traffic. The main roads around Salt Lake City are I-80 (It runs from the airport out west to the east side of the city), I-15 (it runs from north of downtown to the south of the city), and I-215 (which loops about 3/4 of the city). These all get a little congested in the 8 AM hour and the 5 PM hour. I-80 and I-215 never seem to be really busy for more than 15-20 minutes in those periods. They usually keep moving. I-15 can be more of a problem. It is pretty slow during the rush hours both ways (for a while), although it usually keeps moving (sometimes not). In general, though, there seems to be less traffic problems here than other cities I've worked in (LA, Chicago, Kansas City, New Jersey, Seattle, Dallas). My guess is you will find it a little better than Cleveland.

As for an apartment, that depends on where you are working. I don't have much experience looking for these but I have some friends that live at Foothill Place Apartments (on the east side of the city, pretty close to the University). It has two pools, easy access to the freeway, and a ton of 20-30 year olds. Here is the address so you can look it up if you want:

Foothill Place Apartments
2260 Foothill Dr
Salt Lake City, UT 84109

Anyhow, hope that helps.

-askslc

Old 01-12-2007, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 28,017 times
If I were you I would live in the Avenues, Sugarhouse, Foothills, or Downtown area, near the capitol is nice too. I'm 28 and have many friends in there 20's and 30's that live in these areas. As for traffic, it is relatively mild compared to many other cities but Salt Lake offers a pretty good public transit system and it is getting better.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,727 times
How far can I take redwood road until I have to get on I-15 if I'm trying to get to Orem?

Old 09-04-2015, 01:31 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,767,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoke View Post
How far can I take redwood road until I have to get on I-15 if I'm trying to get to Orem?
You can take it to the Pioneer Crossing in Lehi/Saratoga, but don't do that. It's terribly inefficient, because Redwood is not a good road to travel for long distances. Slow speeds and too many stoplights. You'd be far better off taking Bangerter, Mountain View or just getting on the 15.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 4,205 times
Hey Cleve, I also came out here from Ohio when I was (almost) 23 in 2010. For coming from Cleveland, don't worry about the traffic, especially if you live close to downtown, which I think you'll want to. In general, I would consider the area east of I-15 and north of I-80 to be the best bets. That includes downtown and Sugar House, which are both young, walkable places, but also more expensive. To go cheaper, look south of I-80 in the Holladay/Midvale area. When I last looked for a place about 3 years ago, it seemed like there were a lot available close to the U (University of Utah) around 800 east or so going from South Temple south a few blocks. That's another thing - check out a map to figure out the grid system of the streets here. It's really confusing at first but really useful once you get used to it.

What kind of budget are you thinking for a place? The cost of living is similar to Ohio, so you can compare it to what you're used to around there as far as bang for the buck.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 PM

1,183 posts, read 759,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty06 View Post
Hey Cleve, I also came out here from Ohio when I was (almost) 23 in 2010. For coming from Cleveland, don't worry about the traffic, especially if you live close to downtown, which I think you'll want to. In general, I would consider the area east of I-15 and north of I-80 to be the best bets. That includes downtown and Sugar House, which are both young, walkable places, but also more expensive. To go cheaper, look south of I-80 in the Holladay/Midvale area. When I last looked for a place about 3 years ago, it seemed like there were a lot available close to the U (University of Utah) around 800 east or so going from South Temple south a few blocks. That's another thing - check out a map to figure out the grid system of the streets here. It's really confusing at first but really useful once you get used to it.

What kind of budget are you thinking for a place? The cost of living is similar to Ohio, so you can compare it to what you're used to around there as far as bang for the buck.
the original post you're replying to is from 2006 so......

Old 09-14-2015, 07:21 PM

6 posts, read 4,205 times
Well dang. Lot of good that'll do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or