Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,501 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to give a little helpful explanation to your posting. Or, at least tell you how I teach my children. I am a Mormon, but I didn't grow up here in Utah and I also have heard of Mormon children being mean to non-Mormon children. Unfortunately, it happens. I have heard of it happening outside of Utah as well, and outside of the Mormon church. Kids can be mean, and it's even worse if the kids are learning it at home. However, this is not what we are taught to teach our children. We are taught to love everyone despite what their religion or ethnicity may be. Anyway, it's sad that some people can be so mean. I could talk about it forever, but I won't, I'll just say that there are nice Mormons in Utah and everywhere. People aren't perfect though. Good place in Utah to live without too many LDS people.....well, can't really help you with that last part, but Stansbury Park is up and coming! Small town feel, but it's growing a lot.
Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,498 times
Default Best places for a non-mormon family

You may want to avoid the south end of the valley, such as Sandy and Draper. The areas which tend to be more accepting are Sugarhouse and the Avenues, any realtor in Salt Lake will know those areas.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 60,456 times
Angry Utah & Mormon Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIDALA View Post
Any suggestions as to a city in or around SLC that has a smaller mormon population??? After reading how mormon children treat non-mormon children, I am VERY concerned!!! I am perplexed as to why mormon (parents) allow their children to treat non-mormon children so horribly???

How would mormons like it if a non-mormon child told their (mormon) child that they were in a cult or that their father had several wives??? I'm guessing they wouldn't be happy... Oh, I was also horrified to read how mormons treat outsiders/hispanics. Buring down apartment complexes??? Scary.

Regardless, I am now VERY concerned about our move and would appreciate any input as to our finding a city near SLC with a smaller mormon population (if that is possible).

Thanks!
This is rediculous! Not every person who lives in Utah is a Mormon nor do Mormon parents allow their children to "discriminate" against non-Mormons! I read things like this & am just shocked @ how ignorant people really are. So what...Utah was settled by Mormons but guess what they all came from somewhere else. Do a little research before you start assuming the worst about people (not a religion) you know nothing about!

Old 04-16-2007, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 7,441 times
My family and I just moved to Lehi Utah a month ago from Michigan . I have a 5, 9 and 13 year old. The schools are wonderful and my children have not had any problems. We love it here!! After reading this forum I was worried about being non-mormon but everybody has been so helpful!!!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 14,328 times
we dont have kids but all of our neighbors have welcomed us with open arms were not mormon and it realy is not a issue just give them a chance dont belive everything you here. this is one of the best places to live.
just give it a chance dont judge there realy are good people out there.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 17,148 times
Default Stay East of the freeway

I grew up in South Jordan. I am not LDS. I was often singled out and ridiculed because I didn't go to church with the rest of my neighborhood. Some of the parents would not even let their children play with me and encouraged me not to play in front of their homes. I joined the Navy and left town soon after Highschool. My wife and I recently moved back and we found a great neighborhood in Sandy. The mormons seem to have gotten better lately but they still won't invite you over if they know you drink beer. East of the freeway is best in Salt Lake County. Stay completely out of Utah County.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:46 AM

68 posts, read 224,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxmax View Post
I grew up in South Jordan. I am not LDS. I was often singled out and ridiculed because I didn't go to church with the rest of my neighborhood. Some of the parents would not even let their children play with me and encouraged me not to play in front of their homes. I joined the Navy and left town soon after Highschool. My wife and I recently moved back and we found a great neighborhood in Sandy. The mormons seem to have gotten better lately but they still won't invite you over if they know you drink beer. East of the freeway is best in Salt Lake County. Stay completely out of Utah County.
Personally myself, I would invite you over if you drank beer, you just wouldn't drink it in my house because I would have none to offer you. We (as in WE Mormons) don't believe alcohol is a good choice of beverage. It's mainly about lifestyle. We lived in Utah in a very, very small town where yes, there were non LDS people who lived cohesively together. I also worked with non LDS people and inactive LDS people, all cohesively. A good person (notice I didn't say a "good LDS person) will treat everyone with dignity and respect. It's not just about if you are LDS or non LDS, it's about who YOU ARE. So original poster, keep that in mind where ever you live.! I have a friend who lives in Arkansas that absolutely HATES it. Why? Because the people there are rude to her because (as she states it) she's not a bible toting freak.! It's all about the people. You'll find good and bad everywhere. Look for the good and it'll find you.!
It does get old hearing about the whole Utah Mormon thing, but I can understand the original posters concern. We moved here to AZ and LOVE it.! We have surrounded ourselves with GOOD people. It's really all up to YOU...

Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,966 times
i do not understand why you would say mormon kids treat non lds kids badly. that is so idiotic its not even funny. I also live in utah and am not mormon. The lds people are the nicest people ive ever met!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julierichard View Post
i do not understand why you would say mormon kids treat non lds kids badly. that is so idiotic its not even funny. I also live in utah and am not mormon. The lds people are the nicest people ive ever met!
It's possible it depends on the area... I grew up in Utah, and was treated POORLY and had parents flat-out tell my parents that I couldn't play with their kids because my family didn't go to church. It happens, quite often.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:17 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Happened to me when I was 8, growing up in Orem. A neighbor girl told me, to my face, that she couldn't play with me because my dad drank and smoked. Now where do you suppose she learned such a thing? When you are 8 years old, those words really hurt. Twenty years ago, I moved away from the hypocritical, judgmental people. I found much more open minded, accepting people 35 miles north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area