U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:58 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times

Advertisements

My experience has been that more educated people don't ask, don't discriminate but less educated ones do. Guess they don't read wht their late church president had to say about how to treat us! And it DOES say something about the social climate here that the head of the LDS church had to publicly address this issue. It was reported in the papers and on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,948 times
Default Middle aged woman moving to SLC

Where would you suggest I move - (non Morman) I am looking for a condo - safe area, close to Murray, am thinking downtown, but a lot of people on this list are negative about Sugarhouse.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,938 times
Lidala, first off, it doesnt appear like anyone has helped you yet. I have lived in Utah for over a year. I am not mormon, but I am a believer in Christ. Please know there is most definetly a difference. I transitioned here from the east coast. First things first... as far as living is concerned. Stay away from Orem, or Leigh. The best areas i can recommend are Sugarhouse, Murray, Sandy, or Draper. Stay on the east side of I15. As far as price of living is concerned. Sugarhouse is the most expensive out of the 4. All the towns I mentioned are very nice, lots of parks, and shopping. family focused areas.
NOW.... as far as the exposure to the mormon culture... Best advice I can give you is always assume everyone is mormon. Second they are extremely territorial. From my experience they were not raised with the skill of socializaton. I have never met so many inconsiderate, ill mannered, and irresponsible people in my life. They cannot take care of their children. Cant tell you how many times I see three year olds playing in the street without supervision. The town as a whole is poorly educated. Bottom line in this state.. as a "non Mormon" you will be judged. It's such a shame too. Utah is a beautiful state with so much to offer. Price of living is reasonable, and the weather is beautiful for the most part. This organization has taken control of so much land, and the minds of their flock. My best advice is to stay away for your kids sake. They will not receive a good education period. The friends they develop over the years will leave them eventually. I wish you all the best....

Old 06-03-2008, 01:49 AM

12 posts, read 33,953 times
If morman children are treating non morman children poorly then they are not living the true meaning of the gospel. Mormons are taught to love one another and not judge one another.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,694,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomer View Post
Lidala, first off, it doesnt appear like anyone has helped you yet. I have lived in Utah for over a year. I am not mormon, but I am a believer in Christ. Please know there is most definetly a difference. I transitioned here from the east coast. First things first... as far as living is concerned. Stay away from Orem, or Leigh. The best areas i can recommend are Sugarhouse, Murray, Sandy, or Draper. Stay on the east side of I15. As far as price of living is concerned. Sugarhouse is the most expensive out of the 4. All the towns I mentioned are very nice, lots of parks, and shopping. family focused areas.
NOW.... as far as the exposure to the mormon culture... Best advice I can give you is always assume everyone is mormon. Second they are extremely territorial. From my experience they were not raised with the skill of socializaton. I have never met so many inconsiderate, ill mannered, and irresponsible people in my life. They cannot take care of their children. Cant tell you how many times I see three year olds playing in the street without supervision. The town as a whole is poorly educated. Bottom line in this state.. as a "non Mormon" you will be judged. It's such a shame too. Utah is a beautiful state with so much to offer. Price of living is reasonable, and the weather is beautiful for the most part. This organization has taken control of so much land, and the minds of their flock. My best advice is to stay away for your kids sake. They will not receive a good education period. The friends they develop over the years will leave them eventually. I wish you all the best....

You're a believer in Christ, some advice then...stop making such sweeping generalizations and stop your judgemental attitude.
Hey...has noone never suggested maybe yous and your kind should move? Cause us red necked, poorly educated mormons like ours Utah and don't want no part in those who ain't of our "flock"

Old 06-03-2008, 02:28 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,989,645 times
Quote:

May we ask were in Utah you live?

Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 18,597 times
You need to come have a cocktail with me and relax............... Your views are way off from reality.

Quote:

Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
I've lived in Sugar House, just north of the park, for 7 yrs and love it. Sugar House is a GREAT area, don't listen to nay-sayers.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:07 PM

4,320 posts, read 8,246,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
May we ask were in Utah you live?
Exactly because I have never known that to happen and I have lived in 4 different cities in Utah.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM

139 posts, read 419,698 times
Wow...Toomer, I'm not sure if I should be amused or offended by your comments. I just relocated back to SLC (Murray) after 15 years of living in various cities around the US.

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that "they" (mormons) aren't "raised with the skill of socialization" or how the "town as a whole is poorly educated"

How do you quantify "skill of sociliaztion"? Sure, I'm LDS, so perhaps my opinion is biased...or perhaps I'm poorly educated...however, your comments make no sense to me. When you start using terms like "they" to refer to a large portion of the population, you are using poor social skills and reflect your poor education.

Are some Mormons not too good at socializing with non-Mormons? Sure....are there some poorly educated non-Mormons? Sure...who cares. Mormons, like any other group...Black, Hispanic, Catholic, Gay, yadda yadda yadda, are not some homogenous group where the actions of one reflect the actions of all. If you could learn to judge the others based on the content of their character rather than the church they go to...the world may look a little better to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area